Team-BHP - Feasibilility of converting an esteem diesel to a petrol
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Feasibilility of converting an esteem diesel to a petrol (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/41502-feasibilility-converting-esteem-diesel-petrol.html)

Hi,
After my dad got the optra magnum the esteem diesel has been lying around with hardly any use (the engine is a POS). I was wondering about the complications and cost of tossing the TUD 5 out and plonking in a esteem mpfi or the baleno engine. What all components have to be changed. The car also needs minor denting work and probably a complete repaint. The suspension was replaced about 20-30k kms back.
I think the diesel has a different suspension setup compared to the petrol. Can the same suspension be retained? Two things that i know for sure that have to be changed are the engine and gearbox. Gurus please advise on what else has to be changed.
Would the car be reliable as a daily drive ? I would be using it everyday as long as I am in India. How long would the transformation take paint job included. The car is silver and i would either keep it silver or change it to black. How much would the paint job cost ? If the costs are over the roof i would rather sell the car and buy a used esteem/baleno. Would prefer to get this car done up though because it looks like a project to me and i was never involved in such kind of a transformation before. Also are there any other engine options that can be considered? Looking strictly at a petrol though.

Edit: The esteem is a 2003 model. It just turned 5 last week.
Last but not the least where can i get these mods done? I wouldnt mind driving down to bangolore too.
Gurus please: advice

Thanks.

Edit: The esteem is a 2003 model. It just turned 5 last week.

would suggest selling it and picking up another used esteem, esteem diesel has a good resale, so think about the selling option.

you would need a whole new engine dont know about the gear box you might need a new gear box to. complete wiring ecu new fuel and air hardware

possibly new drive shafts don't know if the diesel shafts mounts on the petrol gearbox.

engine mounting again not to sure if again its the same.

ot: whats the engine code of the diesel esteem.

it would be better to sell this and pick up a 2000+ esteem petrol.

Best option is to sell it & pick-up something you like. You'll definitely find something good, un-touched (by modifications) & original.

Your TUD5 Esteem would sell like a hot cake in Hyderabad, the lover of diesels. Sell it for a good price....an Esteem petrol of the same vintage would probably work out far cheaper!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 878182)
Your TUD5 Esteem would sell like a hot cake in Hyderabad, the lover of diesels. Sell it for a good price....an Esteem petrol of the same vintage would probably work out far cheaper!

Am not sure of that GTO. Esteem diesel is hard to find but hard to sell as well. It sells a little cheaper than the petrol.

I agree with selling it & getting a petrol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawan (Post 878016)
ot: whats the engine code of the diesel esteem.

It is a pegeout TUD 5

I wont get too much for it. Last i checked i was offered 1lakh and that was in January. It has done 220k Kms. Also selling at that price does not make sense we rather keep it.

Surprised to see this thread. Usually, people convert from Petrol to Diesel.

220K and it is a diesel - you don't have to think harder - sell it off! Petrol esteems are available in plenty and are cheap! I am sure that the project that you mentioned will be a real headache, unless you love to experiment and money is not a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 878193)
Am not sure of that GTO. Esteem diesel is hard to find but hard to sell as well. It sells a little cheaper than the petrol.

I disagree esteem_lover. Diesel esteems and zens sell like hot cakes in Chennai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 878193)

dont know about chennai, but in hyd, it will sell for a good rate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadix (Post 878831)
dont know about chennai, but in hyd, it will sell for a good rate.

Aadix do you think 1 lakh is a good rate ?

dude.. one lac is too less. You will definitely get far more unless until something is wrong with the car. Pm me all the specs. I will spread the word around and as well as find out & let you know the market rate.

If I am not wrong, then your Esteem has done 220K that equals to Two Lakh Twenty Thousand + kms !

Selling it off is the best thing IMO. The chassis will have taken enough after Two Lakh Twenty Thousand + kms .
1 Lakh is for just engine or entire car ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 879126)
If I am not wrong, then your Esteem has done 220K that equals to Two Lakh Twenty Thousand + kms !

Selling it off is the best thing IMO. The chassis will have taken enough after Two Lakh Twenty Thousand + kms .
1 Lakh is for just engine or entire car ?

It is for the entire car and I am not surprised as there are a lot of dents/rust in a quite a few places. The car does not start sometimes and then randomly after 5-10 minutes you turn the key and it jumps to life( it literally jumps :D). The clutch has gone kaput and so has the transmission( gears dont engage properly it comes back to neutral while driving you have to hold the gear in place so that it does not go to neutral) there is a grinding noise from the gearbox and this was long before the clutch went bad. The ac does not work too well (though the compressor gets on there is no cool air) The car over heats sometimes. Basically to get it in TOP condition we were quoted about a lakh and a half by MASS guys. I am not surpirised at the 1 lakh offer we got. And yeah all 5 tyres are also bald. So that adds another 20k.
Since most of the problems are mechanical I was under the impression that changing the engine would fix 90% of the problems. Painting and denting is not a very tough job i guess. Since the car was used by drivers( who I am pretty sure abused the hell out of it BTW) from the past 2-3 years to run errands and it had done quite a lot of trips between warangal and hyderabad sometimes even 3 times a day so it has a lot of kms on it.

Edit: Yes it is 220k Kms Last time we checked.
The headlight assembly also has to be changed. They have become yellow and the reflectors also have gone bad.

There is a whole plethora of problems. :D

Also 1 lakh is for the whole car. If it was only the engine i would be extremely happy.

Edit again it is 262k kms just went and checked and no it did not start.

Also walked around the car just now. There are not too many dents/rust. Basically the body is not as bad as i made it out to be in my previous post :sorry .