Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 14th August 2008, 11:53   #46
BHPian

Get the Getz CRDI

Stop thinking of the swap in the Ikon, if you had a Jeep or a Gypsy or an Ambi or a Fiat or an Auto or this or that, I would have understood. But in an IKON? no way!

EDIT: The guy had cop trouble 7 years back, do you know how smart the cops are now?!?

Last edited by ankitahuja : 14th August 2008 at 11:55.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 12:14   #47
BHPian

@Hey you're back!!!

"The guy had cop trouble 7 years back, do you know how smart the cops are now?!?"
I know man and thats why the big NO!
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 23:54   #48
BHPian

hmmm.... interesting thread. i have 1.6 myself, done about 51 k km and even though the engine isn't in perfect condition she's still giving me around 10 in the city with moderate AC use (i'm in bangalore) and with a pretty rev happy right foot. dude your 5-7 is pretty low even for a 1.6.

now back on track. these engine swaps have been done but i don't know what the legalities are. even i'm curious to know how it works out. does the law have a provision to change the engine in the RC book? it might just.

also, what about looking at another petrol engine of a more recent car for which parts are more likely to be got. also it should be produced in india so you can go to ANY dealer.

last: even i'm toying with doing this within a year or two. but i know that i will only do it IF i am 100% confident of my workshops ability. i *think* i might have a good workshop in bangalore but i will do alot of research into that area before i venture into it. no jugaad kind of stuff for me. i love my 1.6 engine - love the response and the sweet note, but it's not running the way it should anymore and i will also think seriously about an engine rebuild.
silver_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 11:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
hmmm.... interesting thread. i have 1.6 myself, done about 51 k km and even though the engine isn't in perfect condition she's still giving me around 10 in the city with moderate AC use (i'm in bangalore) and with a pretty rev happy right foot. dude your 5-7 is pretty low even for a 1.6.

now back on track. these engine swaps have been done but i don't know what the legalities are. even i'm curious to know how it works out. does the law have a provision to change the engine in the RC book? it might just.

also, what about looking at another petrol engine of a more recent car for which parts are more likely to be got. also it should be produced in india so you can go to ANY dealer.

last: even i'm toying with doing this within a year or two. but i know that i will only do it IF i am 100% confident of my workshops ability. i *think* i might have a good workshop in bangalore but i will do alot of research into that area before i venture into it. no jugaad kind of stuff for me. i love my 1.6 engine - love the response and the sweet note, but it's not running the way it should anymore and i will also think seriously about an engine rebuild.
I too love the 1.6 but not the fact that it loves money so much.

About legalities:- (Delhi)
1. A car originally on petrol cannot be converted to a diesel or swapped witha diesel engine, even if it is from the same company, as per the RTO. So the RC cannot be endorsed with the new engine number and fuel type etc etc.
2. If a petrol car is swapped with a diesel then it cannot be INSURED/wont pass PUC as the RC is not endorsed with the new engine no. and correct fuel type respectively.
3. If ever the car get caught by the cops after the swap or the car meets with an accident and a case is lodged or you want to claim insurance then you can bid farewell to the car forever.

And just because of the abouve legalities i am keeping away from the swap.

Dont know the legalities of swapping diesel engines with a diesel of the same make though, but i think that is legal and if that is then i have a project in mind for a Jeep
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 12:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Abhi was thinking of swapping engine to my OHC with a Vtec but gave up as this was also a concern...

I think it makes sense to buy a diesel car, simple
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 15:00   #51
BHPian

to be honest, i can't figure out why someone would want to spend more on a diesel car these days. the amount you save on fuel is roughly offset by the fact that you are paying more (not refering to an engine swap but someone who buys a brand new diesel with economy in mind).

secondly diesel is also getting costlier and soon enough subsidies may be removed from it - there is a remote possibility of that happening.

of course a diesel to a more powerful and/or turbo diesel makes great sense. i say go for it man! i'm always for crazy stuff - heart over mind

lohith i think you can legally convert the petrol to another petrol. it's not too difficult to find out you know.

Last edited by silver_shadow : 17th August 2008 at 15:02.
Old 17th August 2008, 15:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

[quote=silver_shadow;942097]to be honest, i can't figure out why someone would want to spend more on a diesel car these days. the amount you save on fuel is roughly offset by the fact that you are paying more (not refering to an engine swap but someone who buys a brand new diesel with economy in mind).
/quote]

Agree with you, works well with people used to fill petrol when filling gas will have a good feel as you are getting more fuel but fail to realise that you have already paid that extra money buying a diesel car

About the engine swap, its a messy affair man never know what issues can crop up. so decided to go against
Old 17th August 2008, 15:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Agree with you, works well with people used to fill petrol when filling gas will have a good feel as you are getting more fuel but fail to realise that you have already paid that extra money buying a diesel car

About the engine swap, its a messy affair man never know what issues can crop up. so decided to go against
agreed. it's not for everyone who goes to the local mechanic called raju. just because someone swears by him because he changes their air filter and fills oil and coolant for them, doesn't mean you can trust him with a job like this. to be honest i wouldn't trust many company service stations either - i believe they are only to be used for free services.
Old 17th August 2008, 16:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
agreed. it's not for everyone who goes to the local mechanic called raju. just because someone swears by him because he changes their air filter and fills oil and coolant for them, doesn't mean you can trust him with a job like this. to be honest i wouldn't trust many company service stations either - i believe they are only to be used for free services.
These jobs are little risky even you go to a pro mechanic, btw i dint mention anywhere i was planning to get it done by a mech who is good for a oil change job
Old 17th August 2008, 16:30   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
These jobs are little risky even you go to a pro mechanic, btw i dint mention anywhere i was planning to get it done by a mech who is good for a oil change job
not you man just saying generally for others who might think of it.
Old 17th December 2009, 02:48   #56
BHPian

hmmmmm.. alomost one and a half year old thread. My understanding from this thread is that if we have a right machanic, and if the diesel engine can be endorsed on RC, one can go for it. I have test driven a vehicle at my machanic, a Ikon with Nissan CD17 engine and the it seemed me a nice machine. The way the engine was mas mached to the Ikon gear box was good and the power delivery in each gear was impressive. I would really go for this for sure. My hunt is on for a used Ikon.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:12   #57
BHPian

I am planning to buy a used Ikon and want to swap the engine to any of the below...

1. Toyota (perhaps N1 is the suitable)
2. Nissan (engine called CD17), I have test drove one Ikon with this engine.
3. Issuzu (???).

Reason of swapping ::

Have a very small budget.

I dream about a Sedan which 1. good looking 2. fuel efficient 3. spare part easily availablity 4. ecomonic spare part.

Going to keep it for at least next 5 year.

Need to suggestion ::

Can anybody suggest suitable turbo engine. Need suggestion only from those who has either done it or seen it.

I am ZERO about any model of Ikon and need to understand the difference between 1.3EXI, 1.3 CLXI NXT, 1.3 Flair, 1.6EXI, 1.6ZXI, 1.3 Flair Jose 100. I even do not know if which of them are diesel and which are petrol model.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:23   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I am ZERO about any model of Ikon and need to understand the difference between 1.3EXI, 1.3 CLXI NXT, 1.3 Flair, 1.6EXI, 1.6ZXI, 1.3 Flair Jose 100. I even do not know if which of them are diesel and which are petrol model.
i can help u here. all the models you mentioned are petrol. the 1.3 Exi and 1.3 clxi are the cheapest, and preferably what u will buy. get the cheapest option available(should be maintained) and get a transplant done . most preferably get a 1.3 cz it's gonna hav no use after the swap and i can't see a 1.6 ROCAM wasted
rajeevatdelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 13:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
These are all petrol ikons with various bells and wistles. the 1.3 and 1.6 are just engine varients and the Nxt is the newer version with DC designed front bumpers(looks better than the old one).

If you are looking for something cheap why not the lancer. The lancers were introduced in 2000(some of them also came in 99 but very rare). You will get a very nice lancer with great bodyline for 1-1.3Lacs and rest you can spend on the engine swap. The issue with old lancers are, you can get a old lancer for peanuts buth would have clocked more than 150k, since you are already planning a engine swap, this should not affect you. Trying getting a lancer form a suburb(chances are they will be well maintained mechanically appart from the high millage). Ford ikon is a very expensive car, Just changin the engine dosent make it a cheap one to own. There are other parts which are obscenely priced.

Opel cars can be a good contender as well, the corsa/Astra club is nice and is available dirt cheap. You might also get a diesel astra for this money as GM has broken ties with opel all are eagar to sell it off before the price takes a further plunge.

Maruti stable has 2000-2001 model baleno going at a lac range, the esteems can be aquired less than a lac.

If style statement is everything then Lancer would be the best. we picked up a 2000 model lancer for a friend for 1.05Lac(the bodyline was little bad but it was a year back, you can get better deals now)

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 14:37   #60
BHPian

First of all the idea of swapping doesn't go down with me well (unless for more power)

And i completely agree with pramodkumar,just swapping the engine wont make ikon a cheap car.
The best bet would be a lancer as it has all the things your dream sedan needs.Or else just save for some more time & buy a used diesel sedan.

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 17th December 2009 at 14:38.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote