Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 14:02   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

GTO - havent seen that, any links available??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
KSM,

Have you seen San Motors Caterham replica? Poor implementation, but a great looking car nevertheless.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 14:08   #17
BHPian
 
Hemanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mysore
Posts: 193
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Frankly speaking, it is a bad idea. Everything will be fine when everything is going on smooth, but my suggestion is dont try and do this since you may landup in problems incase of any issues (RTO etc).
Hemanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 15:04   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default The first Summary

Hi Guys !!

Thanx for your inputs plz keep them coming, request you to inform other members who you think can contribute, can take away some lessons from this thread or are simply interested in such projects.

From what i gather the following could be the prospective hurdles -

1. RTO approval
(I have no idea abt this plz help)
2. Budget
(I would like to keep the exp as low as possible, will try and find the most cost effective combination)
3. Finding the cars i need
(Again plz help, i dont see any cars here in mumbai...may be i dont know how to look)
4. Safety issues
(Will have to work on it)
5. Technical issues
- Chassis~Body compatibility
(As suggested by DKG and Ricky we can go in for the ladder frame chassis, but which body?)
- Knowledgeable and competent team
(know a mechanic who sounds very promising, plz suggest ur contacts in mumbai)
- Reliability
(will have to work on it)
- Performance
(will have to work on it)
- Maintenance
(will have to work on it)

GUYS PLZ SUGGEST SOLUTIONS FOR THE ABOVE PROBLEMS
ALSO, PLZ FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THE LIST OF PROBLEM AREAS

Would luv it if the final beauty looks like any of these >>>
Attached Images
  
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 17:11   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
Frankly speaking, it is a bad idea. Everything will be fine when everything is going on smooth, but my suggestion is dont try and do this since you may landup in problems incase of any issues (RTO etc).
At the turn of the past century world over small garages at homes were bustling with similar activity where innovators worked relentlessly fabricating parts and making cars. Had it not been for such fervour we wouldn't see half the cars we drive on the road today. Some of the greatest machines ever built came from the drawing boards of small time mechanics or engineers who started small. So its never ever a bad idea to innovate and experiment. What do you lose? At best some money! What do you gain? A rich experience unrivalled by any automotive endeavour.

I think India is at the right stage where a little cottage industry activity should emerge. It could be hot rodding, it could be performance modifications, or custom body building.

To anyone wanting to do such stuff I'd say go for it. You'll only gain from such an experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have you seen San Motors Caterham replica? Poor implementation, but a great looking car nevertheless.
GTO if you ever get a chance to drive a Caterham do it. They are an absolute riot. I would love to bring in a kit and build one myself. Awesome fun!


Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th July 2008 at 22:39. Reason: Please use EDIT while posting within 15 mts
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 18:45   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

Now that is what i call encouragement!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
At the turn of the past century world over small garages at homes were bustling with similar activity where innovators worked relentlessly fabricating parts and making cars. Had it not been for such fervour we wouldn't see half the cars we drive on the road today. Some of the greatest machines ever built came from the drawing boards of small time mechanics or engineers who started small. So its never ever a bad idea to innovate and experiment. What do you lose? At best some money! What do you gain? A rich experience unrivalled by any automotive endeavour.

I think India is at the right stage where a little cottage industry activity should emerge. It could be hot rodding, it could be performance modifications, or custom body building.

To anyone wanting to do such stuff I'd say go for it. You'll only gain from such an experience.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 20:38   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,846
Thanked: 375 Times
Default

Hey !!!!

Once my Belair project is complete - I'll put up pictures of the same & then you tell me what you or anyone else thinks of it. It should work out a totally reliable everyday drive.

A one of a kind eyeball grabbing airconditioned 50's american car !!

It'l bear the regn number of the chasis car, the body would be of the belair !! The endorsement will be made on the RC - though don't ask me how !!!!

Dream on, buddy....coz if you dream is ONLY when you will



Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 21:15   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

KSM-vtec, get a gypsy chassis and than work on it, with the body of the car you want , these are very strong, and can be lowered.
If you want something like standard Herald, you can do the same or get the body strengthen by adding a 1 inch seamless pipe cage under the body, this should do the job, only thing is the fabricator should know how to hide the pipes in the interior.
By the way what car are you looking for, if you have specs, please post the detail [L,W,H] I may be able to provide you with solutions.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 21:23   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

@ dinar - i dont have any specific car in mind. it would be great if you could suggest some cars which look like the ones in post #18 and would work on the gypsy chasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
KSM-vtec, get a gypsy chassis and than work on it, with the body of the car you want , these are very strong, and can be lowered.
If you want something like standard Herald, you can do the same or get the body strengthen by adding a 1 inch seamless pipe cage under the body, this should do the job, only thing is the fabricator should know how to hide the pipes in the interior.
By the way what car are you looking for, if you have specs, please post the detail [L,W,H] I may be able to provide you with solutions.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 21:48   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
@ dinar - i dont have any specific car in mind. it would be great if you could suggest some cars which look like the ones in post #18 and would work on the gypsy chasses
May I suggest for your first project consider the pre 1935 tourers. The entire front end comes off and also the fenders leaving just a body cowl backward which you can easily graft onto the Gypsy chassis. Another advantage with the oldies was they rode high so the final ride height is quite similar to the Gypsy's.

For the 40's bodies you'd have to graft just the mechanicals as suiting a Gypsy frame to the body and lower it would entail a lot of work. Grafting the mechanicals is harder work.

Just consider the pre 1935 style cars like Fords or Austins.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 22:02   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default

@ DKG- could you suggest some website or any other source where i could get some info abt the cars that you are suggesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
May I suggest for your first project consider the pre 1935 tourers. The entire front end comes off and also the fenders leaving just a body cowl backward which you can easily graft onto the Gypsy chassis. Another advantage with the oldies was they rode high so the final ride height is quite similar to the Gypsy's.

For the 40's bodies you'd have to graft just the mechanicals as suiting a Gypsy frame to the body and lower it would entail a lot of work. Grafting the mechanicals is harder work.

Just consider the pre 1935 style cars like Fords or Austins.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 22:20   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
@ DKG- could you suggest some website or any other source where i could get some info abt the cars that you are suggesting.
Will try to fish out some pictures for you and post here. Karlosdeville is a gem here on TBHP for info on what cars you could consider. Xoticars has a hotrod project sitting in his yard. Perhaps we could get them to pitch in with suggestions. I think Behram Dhabar could also provide some insights
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 14:43   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

I had Nice dodge pick in my mind along time ago, tried doing some work on it but lost interest after sometime as there was help and time.
I personally the HOTROD looks of car ,if building it [such a project] as there is a scope for individuality and one can go out and design the vehicle. And there is no problem in haunting for parts to match.
Do you want some with wire wheel or steel wheel, start from there. Wire wheel car, I like the 1930 desoto convertible.
try this site and see what you like.
Old Car and Truck Pictures, Memory Lane
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 14:48   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,735
Thanked: 89,266 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
GTO - havent seen that, any links available??
Sure. Its called the Chinkara; here's a thread (Chinkara?) on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
GTO if you ever get a chance to drive a Caterham do it. They are an absolute riot. I would love to bring in a kit and build one myself. Awesome fun!
Sure will! When do you plan on getting the kit in?

I only wish that the Chinkara had better engineering go into it. The project has potential.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 15:01   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sure will! When do you plan on getting the kit in?
A friend of mine had bought and assembled one in Dubai and I had the pleasure of driving his machine. I think our biggest problem here is the RTA not allowing you to register it.

Come to think of it an even more exciting option is the bush planes They cost around 15 to 20 lacs.

Once I am done with my camper project I do plan to convert a Gypsy into a roadster with motorcycle fenders and a boattailed body. Too many things to do too little time!!

Last edited by DKG : 11th July 2008 at 15:05.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 16:53   #30
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Here you go KSM-Vtec, something you should be able to successfully graft onto a Gypsy chassis. I think the dimensions are similar. You will find many options if this body style appeals to you.

Name:  129497.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  129498.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  48.2 KB
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retro / Classic looking Car Stereos with modern functionality vcash In-Car Entertainment 19 23rd January 2014 15:31
Collection of Vintage, Classic, Modern - Sacto Road Show chevelle Beyond Borders 36 12th August 2010 23:01
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49
Which is the most knowledgable car maker when it comes to Service in modern cars DRC The Indian Car Scene 11 3rd January 2006 14:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks