Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 14th August 2008, 11:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
The price mentioned on the site is 50% 60% of the New. So For Eg: Price of indica engine exchange is Rs.29765/-. Does that conclude that new indica engine is just Rs. 59350.?

Please explain.
SirAlec - If i am not WRONG, the price quoted is only for the engine block "Indica 475 IDI Bare Engine", will it include the pistons, fuel pumps, plumbing, alternator, etc etc? May sound stupid, but worth asking!!

Originally Posted by sanket12 View Post
i got in touch with the regional office in pune yesterday. they said they will let me know the price of the new vvti engine by tuesday and also if they have any salvage engines at any of their dealership. Their techinical advisor told me that the engine swap is possible but i would also have to change the gearbox & the front & rear diffrentials. could someone please tell me if its really necessary to change the gearbox & teh differentials.
from a TASS point of view, yes, changes needed. But all this can set you back by @ least 2 Lacs for the entire project. Is it worth it? Did you check out the resale value of your safari in the 2nd hand market?
You can live with just a engine transplant + Gear box, drive for a few days and see if you can live with the funny rear differential ratio, Check out the gearing and the FE. If you get used to it, then that can save you nearly 30K i am guessing.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 16:39   #17

Sorry, I am no expert in automotives... but just wanted to understand your logic for replant.. your budget of 1.5 lac = 15000/60 = 2500 liters of petrol = 25000 kms of free touring... so your engine may start showing results only if you travel another 60k kms after the replant by which time it might already be time to sell the vehicle..

besides if GOI implements differential pricing of diesel... then you might just regret your investment coz diesel would also become similary priced... isnt it.. appologize if am talking completly nonsensical
mandeep is offline   Reply With Quote