Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 2nd August 2008, 14:53   #1

Question Suggestion for engine replacement please..

Hi guys,
I regularly read the articles in Team-BHP from the last couple of years , But this is the first time iam posting .After reading so much technical content posted by various members i am hopeful to find an answer for my query.
I have a standard 1997 sierra ( non turbo),
i purchased it 2 years back , Its my first vehicle, I am very much satisfied by it. There had been no major repair jobs except for regular services.
One thing is that i feel there is not enough power esp in highways (My current engine is in good shape) .I am planning to replace my engine with a powerful turbo version one.I dont know whether to go for any one of Tata's engines (like sumo victa, 207TDI, Safari) or other makes. I have seen sierras with Hyundai, Qualis, Nissan engines.Can anybody tell me which engine will be suitable for me or reference of people who can carry out the engine replacement successfully in Chennai or Coimbatore.
Please dont tell me to sell my Sierra.My sierra is very important for me.
Please help me guys iam counting on you all.
sarathsekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:51   #2
BANNED

Why spoil an already good car? The sierra is known for being unrelaiable already. And you want to make it worse? Why?? And mind you, the cost of the whole exercise will be alot!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 17:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Sierra Turbo with the old Safari's TCIC engine was a very good performer because the Sierra weigh a lot lesser than the Safari. So you could try to source the old TCIC motor and transplant it into your Sierra non turbo. Old TCIC engines should be available cheap and you wouldn't have to make any major modification to mount it in your vehicle.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 22:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
The sierra is known for being unrelaiable already.
You are true , But with proper maintenance and regular service my vehicle has never failed me.Except once for a minor problem with the aircon.I am telling this with my own experience.I once did a continuous 3500 km trip without any problem.. I know that i have to upgrade to a new modern vehicle but it will take atleast 3 to 4 years time. So i want to do a engine swap.
sarathsekhar is offline   Reply With Quote