Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 10th August 2008, 20:18   #1
BHPian

Question Improving Honda Civic handling

Hello all,

I may have the opportunity to buy a used 2007 Honda Civic S automatic from a relative, and I want to find out more about altering the car's driving characteristics.

I like a lot about the Civic, including its interiors, cost of ownership and reliability, but am not the biggest fan of its ultra-soft suspension that leads during turns to a lot of wallowing and what seems to me a lack of control. I am basically a fan of the European approach wherein ride quality is sacrificed for tighter control - the BMW 325i being the car I would buy in an ideal world were it not so ridiculously expensive here.

But since I have the opportunity to buy the Civic, which in most other respects is a superb car, I wanted to find out how I could - if and when I buy it - improve the handling without sacrificing the warranty. One friend tells me that tightening the suspension and adding superior shock absorbers is pretty straightforward, but I wanted to confirm that and get some other ideas if possible.

Thanks.
Car Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 00:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes you could definitely improve your cars suspension and handling, if youve searched through the forums youll get plenty of links to it. Your major two ways:

1. Go for a combination stiffened+lowering springs (like h&R, eibach, tein) and adjustable shockabsorbers (like Konis)

or

2. Go for a spring and damper combined coilover system which allows further height and damping adjustment

The second option being more expensive. Various companies offering those too for the civic like Hotbits, Tein, etc. If you want to get a feel for coilovers in delhi, fellow member Abix has them installed on his Cedia and i have them on a Mitsubishi GTO.

Both options are pretty straightforward and easy because their fitment is car specific, however with coilovers i would suggest some trials before settling on the final adjustment to your liking.
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 01:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

i have driven the older civics a lot,just drove one today too.about an year old ones with close to 20 to 25k on the odo.they are definitely softer than my new car's suspension.

i don't know if its because its new but its definitely stiffer than the older ones.even the owners of the older civics have confirmed this.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 01:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Could be because theyre old.. or it is also possible that honda is giving slightly stiffer suspension on the car now after all the field reports top complaint being the car bottoming out on the road?
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 08:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

it could be a stiffer suspension because those owners of the old civic ststed that their civics were soft from the begining.infact they were contemplating selling their cars but didn't because of the amazing driving experience.
looks like honda has finally got sense.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 09:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

pm vikram18. he has a set of coillovers on his car. they are d2 i think. or you can read his thread.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 14:53   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Autopsyche has already outlined the options to you, so I won't repeat them. But I gotta say, improving any aspect of the Civics performance has got to be the easiest task. After all, the Honda Civic has amongst the largest after-market parts support worldwide.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 16:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
pm vikram18. he has a set of coillovers on his car. they are d2 i think. or you can read his thread.
Yes, Vikram18 runs D2 Racing Coilovers on his Civic which is height adjustable as well as it has 36 levels of damping from stiff to soft. He has also upgraded to 17" wheels. PM him for more information.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 09:32   #9
BHPian

Default cheers mates!

Thanks for the pointers, people. Will follow up on the suggestions once I decide on the car.
Car Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 12:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Car Fan you are absolutely right!!! Being a Civic owner myself and that to the latest 2008 model, I also feel that the Civic has a very very soft suspension, On taking sharp turns you feel that the car is going out of control!!!

On 195/65 tyres the feel was even more frightening, This has reduced ever since i upgraded to 225/45 but i still feel that car doesn't seem planted on the road!! I like the way my Swift handles. Definately it needs coil-overs, I have driven a civic with coil-overs and truly there is a markable difference!!! A certain upgrade in future for me!!!

And as GTO said, sourcing coil-overs is very easy. D2 and Hotbits i know make Coil-overs for sure!!!!
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote