Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 12th September 2008, 04:49   #91
BHPian

Hey yamaniac Congrats on your jeep dude...you indeed a lucky bum to get such a clean and good looking jeep..cheers:
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 05:49   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Watch out & be careful! Thats exactly how I started out I am still at it!

Really nice jeep you have got yourself.
Yam: Congrats on the jeep mate!

Rmonie: Can you elaborate what problems you are facing because I was thinking of giving my Jeep a Wurth coat as I like near the sea.
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 09:25   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Rmonie: Can you elaborate what problems you are facing because I was thinking of giving my Jeep a Wurth coat as I like near the sea.
Madbullram: no problems per se but I was referring to the thread Autopsyche had started on my Gypsy. I started in exactly the same fashion as Yamaniac i.e. a simple dent/ paint / anti rust job.
Therad : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ypsy-king.html

Rest of the story is clear once you see the thread
rmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 15:46   #94
BHPian

Ok guys here is a recent update about the MM540.
Got my tires and alloys today Yokohama Geolander 31x10.5 R15. But I am not going to install them now. will run it on the NDMS for a few more days. Will be replacing them after all the work has been done on her and the wheels will only go in after the final nut has been screwed in. As they are all shiney I dont want any one to scratch them while working on the jeep .

Here are a list of changes that I am going to perform on the MM540 after doing some recce on it .

Strip down the inside cabin completely, front seats, rear seats will all go to the tailors for stitching. Planning to get something else on it as the Red and black seats are too common and not my taste. Although will keep the same seats for now.

After the entire cabin has been stripped down, Am planning to paint the whole floor after doing some rust proofing on all nook and crannies. And then stick down Tar mats on the floor as the current tar mat has gone for a toss and the floor looks uneven. also the hot air from the engine inside the cabin is killing me in the city traffic.

I want to put roll cages on her. and will meet the fabricator today evening and discuss with him.

Stripping down the original top and going in for a semi open convertible top. Probably a different color to suit the Military green color of the jeep.

Hey and i forgot to tell you guys. The jeep has a CD Player yipee!!! Although the speakers are not in good condition. its enough to get the boredom off while driving alone. And the good part in having a system in the jeep is... You dont need a woofer or a box. The jeep itself is a box. and even the slightest of bass from these normal speakers sounds like a woofer.. Yipee!!! one more advantage of owning a jeep!

Will be posting more pics of the work getting done soon. Probably keeping the vehicle in this monday at the mechnaics. Will keep updating. Cheers and thanks for all the support and help. HAIL TEAM-BHP
yamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 18:45   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
Got my tires and alloys today Yokohama Geolander 31x10.5 R15. ...
Great news Yam. Superb... Do keep us updated with the progress. I hope the MM540 will be complete before the Sakleshpur Meet.

Questions: Which Alloys (specifications) & what price. What's the price you paid for the 31x10.5?

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 19:48   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Got my tires and alloys today Yokohama Geolander 31x10.5 R15.
Good choice Yamaniac. Do let us know what type of alloys you got and cost of Geolanders.

Do let me know if you need any help regarding the jeep height and other adjustments for making these big tyres fit. I can get information on how its done on my Jeep. You may have to increase the height (lift) the Jeep to so that the tyres wont rub/touch the inner wheel arches.

ahem, and then there may be another issue with the steering rod. Our Khan_sultan can give first hand accounts of that issue ;-)

Cheers!
-Vaspro
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 19:55   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
.... ahem, and then there may be another issue with the steering rod. Our Khan_sultan can give first hand accounts of that issue...
Yes. You will need to address the steering rod else it can fail you at the most remote/difficult location you can imagine with this tyre upsize. DON'T NEGLECT THIS PART.

Vaspro, you can elaborate on how it has been addressed now and Yam can get that done. We will have stories of the 'steering rod breakup' at the bonfire during the sakleshpur meet. Such stories are best told with a can of beer and friends by side. .

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 10:48   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Great news Yam. Superb... Do keep us updated with the progress. I hope the MM540 will be complete before the Sakleshpur Meet.

Questions: Which Alloys (specifications) & what price. What's the price you paid for the 31x10.5?

Thanks Khan,

Couldn't have done anything much with out our member's expertise. The first issue was with the alloys. Its 139 PCD or the dealer said its the gypsy's size and said he has to get it and its not available in the town. But the cost he said for those alloys made me see stars . The price quoted for the tires by him was rs.7500/- a piece.
I had to get it from another state. I went for lenso Alloys. Here is the picture of the alloy Lenso RS5 15 inch Alloy Wheels and tyre package Hyper Silver & Mirror Lip (6.5x15)
or almost similar to this. As it came up to be much cheaper than what the mangalore dealer had quoted! The Geolander tires was also from there.
Please PM me to know the price and the details. And if you guys want these for yourself, it can also be arranged. Will give you the dealers number as well, so you can discuss with him your needs. He is a gem of a person though and will help you untill you have recieved the items to your door steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Good choice Yamaniac. Do let us know what type of alloys you got and cost of Geolanders.

Do let me know if you need any help regarding the jeep height and other adjustments for making these big tyres fit. I can get information on how its done on my Jeep. You may have to increase the height (lift) the Jeep to so that the tyres wont rub/touch the inner wheel arches.

ahem, and then there may be another issue with the steering rod. Our Khan_sultan can give first hand accounts of that issue
-Vaspro
Whew!! Guys, What would I have done with out you? Yes you're right! I will have to increase the jeeps height to fit in the Tyre. I might also have to remove the front bumpers side (The curvy part) to accommodate the massive wheels. If you can help by posting a few pics of how your Beast's height has been increased, will surely save me some man hours.. Again, The steering rod thing looks like its going to be simple with Khan's expertise

Last edited by GTO : 13th September 2008 at 11:39. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of typing one post after another!
Old 13th September 2008, 12:54   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Whew!! Guys, What would I have done with out you? Yes you're right! I will have to increase the jeeps height to fit in the Tyre. I might also have to remove the front bumpers side (The curvy part) to accommodate the massive wheels. If you can help by posting a few pics of how your Beast's height has been increased, will surely save me some man hours.. Again, The steering rod thing looks like its going to be simple with Khan's expertise
Hi Yamaniac,

I think you can try to fit both the axles below/outside of the leaf springs (Yellow) as shown in pic below as it will surely increase the ride height by atleast 3 inches . Also the steering assembly(Green) is simply inverted, I guess.

Again, expert advice is recommended for the proceedings as any kind of modification required for the drive shafts etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-7420cj52028329.jpg  

offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 14:55   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whew!! Guys, What would I have done with out you? Couldn't have done anything much with out our member's expertise. The first issue was with the alloys.
Actually, you not making full use of the forum.

Quote:
Lenso RS5 15 inch Alloy Wheels and tyre package Hyper Silver & Mirror Lip (6.5x15)
This is not the right size alloy for a 31x10.5 tyre. The tyre that is 265+ wide, you need minimum 7.5 inch wide rims or ideally 8 or 8.5 inch rims. The 6.5' you have chosen is best for 225mm wide tyre which I have on my GV. Since I have 235mm wide on my Jeep, I am looking for 7' rim.

Read the wheel and tyre bible for rim width calculation: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 2 of 2
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 15:28   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually, you not making full use of the forum.

This is not the right size alloy for a 31x10.5 tyre. The tyre that is 265+ wide, you need minimum 7.5 inch wide rims or ideally 8 or 8.5 inch rims. The 6.5' you have chosen is best for 225mm wide tyre which I have on my GV. Since I have 235mm wide on my Jeep, I am looking for 7' rim.

Read the wheel and tyre bible for rim width calculation: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 2 of 2
Hey Sam,
The link that I had provided below is just to show how the alloys look and is not actually the spec of the alloy.
Old 13th September 2008, 20:42   #102
Senior - BHPian

even the chassis is modified, I guess.
Name:  jeep.jpg
Views: 64005
Size:  178.5 KB

Last edited by SirAlec : 13th September 2008 at 20:43.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 20:55   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sam,
The link that I had provided below is just to show how the alloys look and is not actually the spec of the alloy.
I too had the same doubt as Samurai. Alloys on my Jeep are 8.5". I hope you choose the right size.

I will get the detailed account on how the Jeep's height is increased from the my friend and his mechanic. So hold on.

Coming to Steering rod issue, it was actually due to height increasse of the Jeep. I was told that Jeep's body tub was putting pressure on the long steering rod of MM540 and it broke, i guess 3 times before they could diagnose. Thanks to UBS sir's advice, my friend changed the entire steering box and assembly with a new steering box (universal joint type) of Rane make. That solved the problem.

Cheers
-Vaspro
vaspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2008, 14:13   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
even the chassis is modified, I guess.
Attachment 48978
Yes Sir,

The chassis is also modified extremely, but I just wanted to show the possibility of way of ride-height increase. I have seen this kind of setup in many offroad spec Jeeps (Random Google Pics). This pic was showing it clearly, so I posted it here. But is it safe to Chassis & drivetrain??

Regards,
O_M
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 14:53   #105
BHPian

Had been to Madikeri with my office colleagues on the MM540. Around 8 of us this Saturday. Had a hell of a good time. The jeep performed well on the curvy Ghats, Horrible roads, Slushy muddy paths and a steep hill climb, Was just performing a 4x2 action. Here a few of the jeep pics at madikeri. Will be posting a video soon of the steep video climb along the green pastures. and yep the rear right tyre was not NDMS, but it was easy to conquer the steep hill climb with only a few wheel spins with only a 4x2.
Attached Images