Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 23rd September 2008, 02:11   #106
Senior - BHPian

cheers:
i love my zen!
but i love my esteem even more.. its quite fast and the 1st 3 gear ratios are superbly chosen (for a petrolhead that is!)
i remember hormazd sorabjee's words in autocar india: wolf in sheep's skin
and the exciting review about how he took his friends in the 85bhp esteem with them thinking its the carburetted 65 bhp one.. they were flabbergasted
really really fascinated me (85 bhp was very healthy at that time)
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 05:33   #107
BHPian

What kind of Paint are you getting done? as in, 2K or the duco?

Last year I got my NE painted at the end of summer, and it the monsoon hit just about then. The painter matched the White color during rain, and now my car looks Artic white only on a cloudy day, else it looks yellowish while!?!
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 07:38   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
how many coats of color are you getting... I would recommend something dark like black or maroon.. do not go in for light colors as they are hard to maintain.
Sorry for OT and the late reply

you are first person from whom i am listening that a dark colour like black is easy to maintain than lighter colours
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:48   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Sorry for OT and the late reply

you are first person from whom i am listening that a dark colour like black is easy to maintain than lighter colours

The dark colors are recommended for the interiors and not the exterior, the exterior paint was finalized by Frankmetha, and was asking for upholstery colors.
Lighter color in a car tend to get dirty quit easily unless taken good care and needs cleaning often.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

saw the bumpers..
the colour has NICELY dried up on the car and its looking AS pearl as it can get.. lovely!
was disappointed a wee bit last night cos of the wet paint.. today all the fears disappeared, even in the night light.
didnt take photos though.. but i did take a photo of the bumper with the mesh that was freshly painted.. looking at the mesh here, i dont feel like painting it black now lol!

here goes..
Attached Images

Old 23rd September 2008, 21:54   #111
Senior - BHPian

Hey looks good, nice paint job. Can not wait to see the car completed, your getting the mesh in black or keeping it in this color?
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:56   #112
Senior - BHPian

black.. white looks good but black on the mesh will look even better here..
considering the fact that the entire bumper is white, the contrast will look good!
even i cant wait for the car to be complete now.. was forcing my upholster to deliver the seats and he has now said saturday evening.. lets see
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:08   #113
Senior - BHPian

@gendarmee

standox 2k original paint..
sorry about the ne, im a HUGE fan of its whiney engine and mushy gearbox which is still the best ever on a car till date!

one more question!!
i saw these BRIGHT white led lights that can be directly fitted in the slot where the interior light and the cabin lights are.. just the bulb needs to be replaced.
should i get them?

@cyrus
the engine bay had been painted yesterday itself.
the area behind the fuel filler has been painted also.. theres no visible area where the older colour still exists now..
the white colour has started highlighting the large gap between the 13" tyres and the wheel well now.. quite an eyesore but we must live with them

Last edited by frankmehta : 23rd September 2008 at 22:27.
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:35   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
standox 2k original paint..
sorry about the NE, im a HUGE fan of its whiney engine and mushy gearbox which is still the best ever on a car till date!
Nice.

Color isn't that bad, just that it isn't the exact shade that we wanted, now its sort off a different kind of 2 tone color!
Just so used too the NE that cant get an equal replacement!
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 22:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

and yea, my zen is totally debadged but i dont wanna go for a debadged look on this one too.. so bought the original chrome lettering for the car.. all the badges including the 1.3l for the sides too.. lol
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:25   #116
BANNED

The Mesh Looks REALLY good!! Actually, think twice before painting it black!! Whats the status on the Grille Mesh??

OT:
If there is a zen up for sale, will you please let me know! Preferably, MH01,,if not then MH02 or MH03.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:27   #117
Senior - BHPian

grille mesh:bought the type 2 (and half) esteem grille and chopped off the maruti logo..
lo and behold! there's a mesh!

ok .. bawa's got me confused here!!

BLACK mesh OR WHITE?

Last edited by frankmehta : 23rd September 2008 at 23:28.
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:35   #118
BANNED

Lemme work some photoshop magic again!! Wait a while..I have an Idea!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 23rd September 2008 at 23:45.
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

oh nice.. ps to glory..

oh and by the way:
update on the light smoking: we went to the standox booth to ensure that the right way to do it is what i've mentioned earlier..
and its seconded by them...
here's how it goes:
1. sandpaper the lights well with no. 800-no. 2000 sandpaper.. the higher the number, the finer the particles
2. wash with water very very well
3. buff with the roller
4. hold spray gun of desired colour (1:5 paint:lacquer) about 2-3 feet away from the source and spray in long bursts making sure you don't spray too much or too less at one place at a time.
5. let it dry
6. if you want a matte finish let it be, but if u want a glossy finish then clear coat it and wax it...

this is my DIY guide and will be considered successful only after trying it on my car..
doing that tomorrow.. hope for the best!

Last edited by frankmehta : 23rd September 2008 at 23:41.
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:50   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
oh nice.. ps to glory..

oh and by the way:
update on the light smoking: we went to the standox booth to ensure that the right way to do it is what i've mentioned earlier..
and its seconded by them...
here's how it goes:
1. sandpaper the lights well with no. 800-no. 2000 sandpaper.. the higher the number, the finer the particles
2. wash with water very very well
3. buff with the roller
4. hold spray gun of desired colour (1:5 paint:lacquer) about 2-3 feet away from the source and spray in long bursts making sure you don't spray too much or too less at one place at a time.
5. let it dry
6. if you want a matte finish let it be, but if u want a glossy finish then clear coat it and wax it...

this is my DIY guide and will be considered successful only after trying it on my car..
doing that tomorrow.. hope for the best!
thanks for the DIY Guide! I Wanna try it in the future!!
Also, Now that i have seen the White Mesh, I suggest you keep it white till it goes on the car.

Here is a darker black mesh! But it isnt clear as the photo is not very detailed!
Attached Images