Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 7th September 2008, 00:07   #1
BHPian

Question Help with OHC Muffler replacement

My OHC had 2/3 weak spots on the muffler center piece and infact now they are punctured, I found that there had been a series of patches that had been done already.
My questions- What is my best alternative?, What are my options when it comes to changing it?, a workshop offered a regular OHC (agfa) muffler for 2200/~ is this something that i can go in for? Last but not least, is it worth it to take it to Honda and get them to change it for round 13 grand? PLs advice.
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 04:18   #2
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
My OHC had 2/3 weak spots on the muffler center piece and infact now they are punctured, I found that there had been a series of patches that had been done already.
My questions- What is my best alternative?, What are my options when it comes to changing it?, a workshop offered a regular OHC (agfa) muffler for 2200/~ is this something that i can go in for? Last but not least, is it worth it to take it to Honda and get them to change it for round 13 grand? PLs advice.

Hi Johnda, are you running your car with a aftermarket header or is it stock? if you want to maintain the originality then you can get the Honda product from outside for much lesser price or you can go for some good aftermarket mufflers. For 13 G you should be able to get a good one in the market.
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 07:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Hi Johnda, are you running your car with a aftermarket header or is it stock? if you want to maintain the originality then you can get the Honda product from outside for much lesser price or you can go for some good aftermarket mufflers. For 13 G you should be able to get a good one in the market.
Hi Vinay, the one on my car was the stock and when i found the leaks I replaced it with the AGFA, (jus for the time being), coz i have to make 2 trips starting tomorrow. but the old one is in the workshop. I'm leaving to coimbatore tomorrow and any inputs on this going to be useful, coz the market there is far wider than here. I'm also planning to check my FE and power. thanks. will let you know after i get there.
Old 7th September 2008, 07:49   #4
BHPian

Is your's a VTEC/1.5/1.3? Normally the muffler gets rusted after the downpipes, so get your pipes checked too. You may have to replace the pipes and the muffler.

This may be your chance to go for a freeflow exhaust! If budget is not a constraint (and you have a VTEC/1.5), you can go in for Greddy headers and FFE from a tuner of repute. Freeflow exhausts can be made to look and sound like stock ones, not necessarily louder (though it is addictive when it really growls!).

Your costs can be in the region of....

1. Just the muffler/end can: 2.5K or so
2. Freeflow exhaust (with stock headers): 10K~12K approx for a brand like Automech or stainless steel if it is local made.
3. Greddy Headers: 17K or so.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 17:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Is your's a VTEC/1.5/1.3? Normally the muffler gets rusted after the downpipes, so get your pipes checked too. You may have to replace the pipes and the muffler.

This may be your chance to go for a freeflow exhaust! If budget is not a constraint (and you have a VTEC/1.5), you can go in for Greddy headers and FFE from a tuner of repute. Freeflow exhausts can be made to look and sound like stock ones, not necessarily louder (though it is addictive when it really growls!).

Your costs can be in the region of....

1. Just the muffler/end can: 2.5K or so
2. Freeflow exhaust (with stock headers): 10K~12K approx for a brand like Automech or stainless steel if it is local made.
3. Greddy Headers: 17K or so.
Hi QuickSilver, Thanks for the input. I have a 1.5Exi (2000). Now where do i go if i need to take a look some of these products and maybe even buy it. The reason i asked you coz I'm heading to coimbatore tomorrow morning, so pls advice on that. I also needed to buy the packing at the mouth of the pipes (do you get original Honda ones in the open market?) what brands are available for this. Pls advice also if i get a new muffler where do i fix it in Coimbatore. thanks.
Old 8th September 2008, 12:37   #6
BHPian

You can contact fellow t-bhpian "psycho" for an update on the header. I got mine from him for 17K a year ago. If you want to have a look at the headers and exhaust, PM me and I will send my number to you. I am in coimbatore and can suggest some places where you can get this done.

Please note, I do not have any affiliations with these tuners/garages, just trying to direct a fellow enthusiast to a good place is all I am trying to do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Hi QuickSilver, Thanks for the input. I have a 1.5Exi (2000). Now where do i go if i need to take a look some of these products and maybe even buy it. The reason i asked you coz I'm heading to coimbatore tomorrow morning, so pls advice on that. I also needed to buy the packing at the mouth of the pipes (do you get original Honda ones in the open market?) what brands are available for this. Pls advice also if i get a new muffler where do i fix it in Coimbatore. thanks.
Old 8th September 2008, 14:24   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can contact fellow t-bhpian "psycho" for an update on the header. I got mine from him for 17K a year ago. If you want to have a look at the headers and exhaust, PM me and I will send my number to you. I am in coimbatore and can suggest some places where you can get this done.
I am running the same set of headers on my Vtec since a year+, and can tell you that its worth every penny. Go for it!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:25   #8
BANNED

17k for a set of headers!! That is unusually overpriced!! In Bombay, you can get a full freeflow setup for less than 12-15k. And not some nonsense "performance" shops. From a pro who has been doing it since 30 years.

edit: i am not talking about automech!! I dont like their products!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 8th September 2008 at 14:27.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 14:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
17k for a set of headers!! That is unusually overpriced!! In Bombay, you can get a full freeflow setup for less than 12-15k. And not some nonsense "performance" shops. From a pro who has been doing it since 30 years.

edit: i am not talking about automech!! I dont like their products!
Given the fact that you are a pro, I would have to ask you pal, have to checked out the specific headers in question before you posted that comment? We are not talking about "some nonsense performance" shops here, but a properly designed header.

The fact that there are multiple users in this forum that are happy with the product after using it for more than a year is not something that can be discounted so easily.
Old 8th September 2008, 15:33   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Cyrus, MRF tyres have been doing it for 30 years too. Maybe we ought to drop our Michelins & Yokohamas in exchange for the cheaper MRF's then?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 23:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Please note, I do not have any affiliations with these tuners/garages, just trying to direct a fellow enthusiast to a good place is all I am trying to do .
Hi, I got in this afternoon... i went to Sundram honda cuz i wanted to get my right head lamp replaced. i had a slight issue when i was traveling, I took a look at a depo head lamp at 'Alagandra' . But I'm going with the Honda one. I had a local Agfa muffler put on for the trip and there has been a drop in the FE and power, anyways.
I can msg you direct maybe cuz in a newbie or also that i dont know my way around. PM me the detail n i'll get intouch with you.
One more thing for all - when you say 'header' is it the whole exhaust system, Like In this case the center piece muffler is also called a 'B' piece, with A at the engine and C as the tail piece...( i may have raced and driven old cars but i'n alien to a lot of the lingo and terminology)
Cheers!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th October 2008 at 14:49.
Old 9th September 2008, 02:17   #12
BHPian

[quote=quicksilver;967817]Is your's a VTEC/1.5/1.3?

correct me if i am wrong but the vtec was avalible only as a 1.5
and i guess the discussion is about 1.5exi non vtec model
alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 03:06   #13
BHPian

Cool

Ya, psycho can help you getting the better headers. Even my car is running with Greddy headers and the JDM magna flow exhaust, Magna flow casted me more than a header.

I would be ready to not drive the car but not with a 30 year rubbers

I hope your new exhaust is giving your car better pick-up.
Old 9th September 2008, 03:10   #14
BHPian

Cool

[quote=alias;970042]
Quote:
Is your's a VTEC/1.5/1.3?

correct me if i am wrong but the vtec was avalible only as a 1.5
and i guess the discussion is about 1.5exi non vtec model

If you read the complete Thread itís speaking about Honda, so we wanted to know which one variant he is referring to VTEC/1.5/1.3 so it would help in suggesting a better one.

It was not mentioned like VTEC 1.5/ VTEC 1.3 and yes City VTEC is 1.5 L
Old 9th September 2008, 03:33   #15
BHPian

It was not mentioned like VTEC 1.5/ VTEC 1.3 and yes City VTEC is 1.5 L[/quote]

sorry about the misunderstanding buddy
alias is offline   Reply With Quote