Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 19th September 2008, 10:25   #61
BHPian

Cam is sourced through RDD. Dont know make. When I compared it to the stock cam it definitely looked much better made than stock. Cam profiles throw up an even better story.

Compression as measured by a compression gauge is what I quoted. I dont know what ratio it equates to.

I agree completely with vikram. and It still remains a mystery how the swift with ported head is doing higher ingear speeds.
Old 19th September 2008, 20:19   #62
BHPian

The way you have written about the complete modification is really awesome, if you have time we will meet up sometime love to see your car.
Old 19th September 2008, 20:27   #63
BHPian

I think he meant by static compression ratio like 9:1 or 10:1.
Since cylinder pressure is around 220 psi i think its C.R should be in range of 9.8-10.2:1, to find out correct C.R you need to C.C your combustion chamber, as in know Bore/Stroke, piston dome displacement,head gasket thickness,combustion chamber volume put those values in Compression ratio calculator & you come to know what exact static C.R your engine is running.
The Psi value can vary depending upon CAM,T.B,intake etc. but when you have those values the static C.R will not change.
Old 19th September 2008, 22:28   #64
BHPian

Hey dude, forgot to ask you which version of ECU you are running on? is it MegaSquirt Version 3.0 Main Board
Old 20th September 2008, 00:08   #65
BHPian

i thought you divide the PSI by 14.7 to arrive at the CR... in this case 220/14.7 =~15:1
Old 20th September 2008, 01:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

i think that figure is way off.. For that compression he would need to run fuel with lots of additives in it. He is closer to 10-11:1. His tuner would be the best person to answer this. 15: 1 the engine would knock like crazy. Need nitro based additives.
Old 20th September 2008, 01:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Whats the bore, stroke of the RDD Baleno?

Shan2nu
Old 20th September 2008, 01:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think that figure is way off.. For that compression he would need to run fuel with lots of additives in it. He is closer to 10-11:1.
Same here, somehwere in the region of 10.7-11:1 sounds realistic.

Shan2nu
Old 20th September 2008, 02:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

220 psi on a compression gauge doesn't necessarily mean that geometric compression is 15:1. Using psi numbers to reference compression is primarily used in the 2-stroke world, and this is understandable since that's where chinoy comes from.
Old 20th September 2008, 10:32   #70
BHPian

@Vinayvtec: Thanks will surely catch up. I have NOT fitted the ECU yet. This setup is without the ECU, I would say the best part is yet to come. What Ron has got down for me is I think a Megasquirt II v2.2.

@FR: Yeah you are absolutely right. But never got around to calculating the compression ratio. When the tuners claim a high compression setup do they actually calculate the combustion chamber volume and piston dome displacement et all and give a calculated value or is it a guesstimate.

Lets not go crazy on this compression stuff. I am not running race fuel or any fuel with octane boosters. I am running 91 IOC premium that too out of personal choice.

@Shan2nu: Bore and stroke remains stock.

@Ananth: No compression ratio is claimed. Compression was checked just to determine how healthy the engine is, for which compression is a very good indicator. I was more keen to know whether the engine is healthy and also to know whether there is any difference in comp between the cylinders. I think I might have made a mistake by quoting numbers.
Old 20th September 2008, 10:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

[quote=crazydiablo;984681
@FR: Yeah you are absolutely right. But never got around to calculating the compression ratio. When the tuners claim a high compression setup do they actually calculate the combustion chamber volume and piston dome displacement et all and give a calculated value or is it a guesstimate.

Lets not go crazy on this compression stuff. I am not running race fuel or any fuel with octane boosters. I am running 91 IOC premium that too out of personal choice.

[/QUOTE]

The compression ratio is always a debatable topic some tuners calculate some guesstimate.

Good call on the fuelling. Initially I know how hard it was for me with the old setup. Needed 110 Octane fuel.was ridiculous, then dropped the CR. Getting a car tuned to regular fuel is a good choice given to the quality of fuel available in India especially on Highways.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post

@Ananth: No compression ratio is claimed. Compression was checked just to determine how healthy the engine is, for which compression is a very good indicator. I was more keen to know whether the engine is healthy and also to know whether there is any difference in comp between the cylinders. I think I might have made a mistake by quoting numbers.
Hope you didn't take offense at what I said. I was merely pointing out the technically correct meaning of compression as checked with a gauge. BTW, a compression gauge is not a good indicator of engine health. You really need to pressure test each cylinder for that.

PS: It is ALWAYS a mistake to quote numbers on Team BHP LOL I want to state I'm just kidding before ten people pounce on me.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 20th September 2008 at 22:06.
Old 21st September 2008, 09:56   #73
BHPian

yeah Amit, like we discussed sometime, i do a lot of long trips, she is like my Gran Tourismo. Fuel quality is our biggest hurdle.

Ananth, none taken man. Yeah you are right but u did not get my point. I wouldn't argue with guys who can build turbo miatas in their basement. Numbers dont go so well here. LOL
Old 21st September 2008, 19:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Totally Off Topic but a relevant question none the less..WHY one earth can't a stock lancer be worked upon to get results such as the Baleno ?

My experiance on the lancer, after having gone the whole hog, is that It'd beat the crap out of normal lancers & can do a lot post the 3000 RPM band linear power band right upto 6500 RPM

Is this good or bad ? I gues it is relative. The game with my modded lancer is between 3 to 6500 RPM in that band she sings

Any inputs from the Gurus ????????

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 21st September 2008 at 19:25.
Old 21st September 2008, 20:14   #75
Senior - BHPian

i know a lancer that kept up with my baleno in bombay.. Long back. It was my friends car and even gave the honda boys a shock. Had some good and very expensive modifictions done to it. A NA car i was floored by it.
Closed Thread