Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 17th September 2008, 11:45   #1
BHPian

Default What are FOG LAMPS for?

I would tend to think that the purpose and usage for fog lights in vehicles is one of the most misunderstood and misused. Simple questions:

What are fog lights for?
What exactly is its purpose?
When to use them?
How essential are they?
Is it a utility, safety or fancy item?

My limited understanding is that fog lamps are an aid for driving in poor weather conditions only as the name suggests in fog and in heavy rains. Ideally they are single color (yellowish) long beam lights with reduced dispersion main objective is to let others see you in poor weather rather than lighting the road. Secondary purpose by way of is low placement is better close range visibility, again in poor weather. I would tend to think that they are obviously not a regular lighting especially in cities other than any fancy value attached to it.

Some countries do have laws about usage of these, but (not sure) unfortunately in India I think there is no law around its use or misuse?

I would request the Gurus to pitch in with simple answers as well give some explanations and clear some myths.
Old 17th September 2008, 11:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

You are right P, fog lamps are meant for other drivers to see you in fog/bad weather. All Nordic countries require you to drive with your headlights on at all times.
Old 17th September 2008, 16:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
main objective is to let others see you in poor weather rather than lighting the road.
That purpose is well served by the headlights as well and so that isn't the main objective so far as my understanding goes.

Quote:
Secondary purpose by way of is low placement is better close range visibility, again in poor weather.
True but I'd say that's the main purpose.

Quote:
I would tend to think that they are obviously not a regular lighting especially in cities other than any fancy value attached to it.
Unfortunately, the road and traffic conditions in Indian cities and towns are so bad that normal lights seem inadequate. Hence the trend towards "higher- than-O.E.-wattage" bulbs. If you aren't going in for higher wattage bulbs for your headlights, the little extra lighting you get from fog lamps does help you a bit especially in spotting craters!

Fancy value? Perhaps. But I'd say that applies more to the rear fog lights that don't assist the driver in any way during normal light conditions and definitely annoy the drivers in/on vehicles behind.

Quote:
Some countries do have laws about usage of these
For front fog lamps too? I'd like to know the law and the countries.

Quote:
but (not sure) unfortunately in India I think there is no law around its use or misuse?
Isn't it better not to have a law at all rather than having a law that's never followed or enforced?

Quote:
I would request the Gurus to pitch in with simple answers as well give some explanations and clear some myths.
Over to the Gurus!

Last edited by directinjection : 17th September 2008 at 17:00.
Old 17th September 2008, 17:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fog lamps is for having headaches with blown fuses when you drive through water logged streets during the monsoon.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2008, 17:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Path_Finder

This has been discussed in detail here, please continue the discussion if you still have queries

Use OF Fog Lamps in Cars

Thread Closed
Closed Thread