Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 27th December 2008, 23:23   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Thanks DocG, I would have to disagree with you on Corolla being blessed one! From what Ive come to know through my first hand experience, Corolla's brakes are not the greatest. Let me share another of Toyota's vices with you, its a company that uses cost cutting extensively, translating into not using the best materials because those are usually expensive. Eg. my car came without even ABS, a necessary piece of equipment for high speeding cars, resulting in below par breaking performance, the wheels lock up at slightest of touch & send the car into dance mode.
bhp1, at the moment every auto maker in the world is trying to cut costs, however in general i would say that the last gen corolla was probably a black mark on what is their forte. With regards to your car not having ABS, buddy, it was your choice to go for the model which didn't offer that, I'm guessing that's the 9lakh model right.

Both my corollas are the ATs, and they come with ABS and all the other kit. And trust me, they can STOP! They have saved me many an occasion, which is why I get them changed so often, to make sure that they work well when I need them.

And no, please don't go buy some local brand which has never been tried by anyone else...
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 23:41   #32
BANNED

@DocG, true most of the car makers across the World are cutting costs now, but I bought my car more than 4 years back.
Why only the old Corolla was a blot, after so many generations down the lane? It was made to look like that due to cost cutting techniques employed for India. Just see anything on the car, it feels as if the car was made to skip the warranty period only & then fall apart. My car has been riddled with failures not because I use it badly but because Im not a back seat driver or a 9-5 guy, but do push the car to its limits quite often but keeping within its limits, as a true enthusiast would do! Build quality, drive, ride, plastics, etc, etc. is all poor, to me Toyota is just another name now, got nothing to with its Worldwide fame.

& when I bought my car, ABS was not offered as an option, moreover mine is a fully loaded model, top end!
Ive taken my car beyond 165km/hr on many occasions, though ride is not confidence inspiring & braking at City speeds itself is poor, one can well imagine what would it be like at high speeds! Just to put things into perspective, even the Innova suffers from wheel lock up issues on braking. So, this seems to be a generic problem with Toyotas.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 02:59   #33
BHPian

bhp1 - i think it's futile arguing about how the corolla is in quality. I don't know what conditions you drive your car in or why ABS wasn't offered on yours. However what I can say with conviction, is that neither of my Corollas have had any major issues, the build quality in my opinion where plastics and other things are concerned are better than the Honda city, and civic.

The car is not made for speed, but for comfort, suspension has been raised for India, and you can imagine what that means on a car which never really sat low in the first place. But over a pot hole ridden road, you'd probably want to be in a corolla or an innova this side of 20 lakhs...

PS: It's official my dad thinks the Innova is more comfortable than a Range Rover
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 17:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Eg. my car came without even ABS, a necessary piece of equipment for high speeding cars, resulting in below par breaking performance, the wheels lock up at slightest of touch & send the car into dance mode.
What tyres are you running on the car? Are they stock?
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 21:10   #35
BANNED

DocG, Toyota does have a name in terms of quality "Worldwide", but I can only tell what I personally experienced. Why launch a car with raised suspension which retards the setup, why not test, research & build a car suited to the environment!

The car has close to ~ 125Bhp's & you say its not made for speed! Ok even if you were right, "Comfort" is what also lacks.

@Iraghava, my car came with Bridgestone Potenza RE88, what more can I talk about cost cutting! Its evident in almost any sphere I touch in a Toyota product.
The tyres gave such a bad ride & handling duo, that I had to go in for a change. Now 4-5yrs. back I could not find a lot of alternatives for the size I was looking for in my City atleast, so had to settle for Goodyear Venturas- 205/60/15. Again not excellent tyres per say, but better than Potenzas atleast.
Now, Im again in the market for a change & have posted in "Tyres" thread, but sadly did not get enough responses!
Old 28th December 2008, 22:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Try something like the Michelin PP2's or in 205/55 you can try the Yokohama S-Drive's or Advan Neova's.
Old 28th December 2008, 22:54   #37
BANNED

Thanks for the suggestion, PP2, Advan, S-Drive, seem to be handling tyres. My priority now is comfort & reduced noise.
OEM Tyres came in 195/60/15 size, now I have 2 choices, either to choose 195/60/15 or 195/65/15.
I suppose 65 profile would offer superior ride quality! What say?
Now which size & brand should I finally pick up?
Old 28th December 2008, 23:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

If you want comfort then try 205/60 in Yoko DB Decibel V550/Michelin Energy XM1+/Apollo Accelere or in 195/60 R15 Yoko A.Drive/Michelin Energy MXV8/Bridgestone Turanza ER-60/Apollo Accelere.

P.S. OD difference with 195/65 is 3.2% so that size is not ideal.
Old 28th December 2008, 23:32   #39
BANNED

Thanks for the wide choice, but isn't 195/65/15 & 205/60/15 almost the same deal compared to 195/60/15?
I would like to stick to either 195/60/15 or 195/65/15 & as far as manufacturers go- Bridgestone, Michelin & Yokohama. Not sure about Continental, so not included.
Lets see what choice we have in 195/65/15 size?
Oh I forgot an important aspect, Corolla's wheel well is preety deep, so higher profile tyres look good, that is why Im inclined towards 65 profile.
Old 28th December 2008, 23:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

No, 205/60 has an OD difference of 2%. You can buy 195/65 too provided you don't mind the messed up FE/Odo readings. Options are:

Yoko A.Drive
Michelin Energy MXV8/XM1/XM1+
Bridgestone Turanza ER-30
Apollo Accelere
Old 28th December 2008, 23:47   #41
BANNED

Thanks, you have that calculator with you! I think its ok till 2%, 3.2% is off the mark.
Odo readings don't really matter, but hell ya, I wan't justice to every litre of precious fuel. FE of my car is already low.
So Im confused with the Tech. jargon now, kindly give the best choice keeping in mind Ride comfort, FE & less noise.
Old 29th December 2008, 00:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

I have quite a few tools! Anyway, choose between 195/60 R15 Yokohama A.Drive/Michelin Energy MXV8/Apollo Accelere/Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 based on the current set of criteria that you've listed out.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:23   #43
BANNED

Thanks, yup you seem to have a great deal of knowledge about tyres, mine is limited to Tyre Bible or a couple of more!
Ok, so 195/60/15 it is.
Any lowdown on the prices, leaving the Apollo's.
Which one out of Bridgestone, Yokohama, Michelin are the best?
Old 29th December 2008, 14:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

All 4 are excellent tyres. I would rate Michelin/Yoko/Turanza's slightly higher then the Apollo's though. But, you can't go wrong with either.
Old 29th December 2008, 18:21   #45
BANNED

Thanks very much, so then its Michelin according to you, lets go for the best!

But could I get links to some size conversion sites, actually had earlier, but duno where lost!

I want to ascertain what diff. would it make going in for 205/55/15 or 195/65/15 in place of stock 195/60/15 size? Lets see which suits best as an upsize maybe!