Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 12th November 2008, 12:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

I faced similar problem on my vtec.
Went to the service center and asked them to clean the reflector and the plastic "lens".

They claimed that they cannot dismount the headlamp assembly, and I would need to buy a new one. (Whihc sounded like loads of bullcrap to me).

So I came back to local mechanic, and put 100 W lights. Now atleast I can view the road properly.

But the question I wanted to ask (and the reason for posting here) is that can we really not open up and clean the headlight assembly?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 12:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

It can be done on most headlights, but is a real PITA. You have to put it in an oven to heat it up to a certain temperature, then using a thin needle, pry open the plastic. The adhesive stays semi-solid for a few minutes within which you have to put it all back together. No idea about the OHC headlights specifically though.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 14:58   #18
BHPian

you could get yourself... second hand lights from chor bazaar...v have loads of stuff in chennai at pudupet .!.! you can find almost any replacement part almost brand new ...a pair of ford ikon headlamps clear walla.cost only 1.2k .!! trust me its way better than buying it from the company .!
also ya could try n get a hid conversion kit ya get good china made ones for 3.5k .! pretty decent for de money you pay n they do last to.!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Also Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th November 2008 at 15:14. Reason: see note in post
aamir_subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2008, 22:33   #19
BHPian

Just got baleno dearest fitted with philips 100/90 rallye(300 rs total) + relay and wire change(600). It's more than enough. No point going in for stronger lights. This will defin. serve you purpose. Enjoy.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 00:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It generally happens if there is a gap in the headlamps.

My right headlamp has a slight cut near the indicator light which allows moisture to enter causing the headlight glass to fog up during monsoons or when ever i wash the car.

So get your headlamps checked for any leaks/gaps.

Shan2nu
Thank you for your pointers, but ive noticed this on a everyday basis especially when the a/c is on, although i will get it checked for any leaks and gaps.
Ali G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 12:44   #21
BHPian

i agree with this.I had the similar problem in my OHC, with white light all you can see onroad is two boomerang shaped spots. I changed to 100/90 bulbs, the the difference is awesome. If you go in 140 then you will have problems of reflector fading,melted holders etc. I learnt it the hard way to thought i'd let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakky88 View Post
normal yellow lights 100/90 will be better than the white lights. If you want power white lights, then go for HID lights , its way to expensive
nc1bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 15:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Also check the head light lenses(covers) itself they might be scratched or faded. These can be polished.
How to they polish the head light glass (covers). Since its plastic, it cannot be buffed. The headlights are faded and the glass is no more clear.

New pair of headlights would cost around Rs.7400/- I'm actually looking out for an alternative if it is better.

By polishing, do they make it all go away and does it become clear?
If so, could you please let me know where they do it Bangalore.

Thanks,
VTEC_Rocks
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 10:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
How to they polish the head light glass (covers). Since its plastic, it cannot be buffed. The headlights are faded and the glass is no more clear.

By polishing, do they make it all go away and does it become clear?
If so, could you please let me know where they do it Bangalore.

Thanks,
VTEC_Rocks
I once got my OHC headlights polished, but no buffing.
Take the headlights to shivajinagar gujri, there are many headlamps shops.
They heat the headlight assembly(he used a big hair dryer for this ), remove the casing , clean & polish the reflectors + glass panel. put the sealent/gum, refix the headlight assembly.
each light should not cost u more than 250rs. Make sure you bargain with them if the price quoted is quite high
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 11:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well i have been using the Philips rally 100/130 for a long time now. Works great for me.

You should change to these and get your hL plastic cover buffed if you can.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 9th February 2010 at 11:31.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 11:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
New pair of headlights would cost around Rs.7400/- I'm actually looking out for an alternative if it is better.

You can get them for Rs.2800 in mumbai.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 12:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
You can get them for Rs.2800 in mumbai.
Woah. That's a steal. The quote was from Honda spares. I'll have to check with local garages if they can get it for a cheaper price.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I once got my OHC headlights polished, but no buffing.
Take the headlights to shivajinagar gujri, there are many headlamps shops.
They heat the headlight assembly(he used a big hair dryer for this ), remove the casing , clean & polish the reflectors + glass panel. put the sealent/gum, refix the headlight assembly.
each light should not cost u more than 250rs. Make sure you bargain with them if the price quoted is quite high
That's nice. But on a personal note, I am really scared to take my car anywhere near shivajinagar gujri. I've heard instances where the car spares get stolen even before you could realize. I'll try removing the headlight unit and then taking it to gujri. Thanks for info

I'll take my mechanic along
Old 25th December 2011, 22:38   #28
BHPian

Default Re: Headlamps of OHC

I am facing a slight issue with my OHC headlamp. The left headlamp works fine on low beam but on high beam the light vanishes (the parking stays on though). No such issue with the right lamp.

What could be the issue?
narula123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 00:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123
I am facing a slight issue with my OHC headlamp. The left headlamp works fine on low beam but on high beam the light vanishes (the parking stays on though). No such issue with the right lamp.

What could be the issue?
Your left bulb high beam is fused. Replace it and your problem is solved
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote