Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 25th March 2005, 22:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

IMO in India,

Cruise Control can be best used on the Expressways.
When the system is switched ON, the driver must be alert all the time.
Old 25th March 2005, 23:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so... u mean to say getting cruise control installed in ur car would mean that the person "cant handle long distance driving" ??? then we would have to assume that no one in US can handle long distance driving... coz they got cruise control!!
Exactly my point. When does a person need to rest? When he is tired, why does he get tired, bcoz he's not able to keep working beyond a certain point.

Why would someone need to rest his legs if they aren't hurting or getting stressed out? C'mon man, it's as simple as that.

One can only use something when there's a need for it.

Quote:
Cruise Control can be best used on the Expressways.
When the system is switched ON, the driver must be alert all the time.
Totally agree with that. How often a person uses CC depends on how long he can keep driving without feeling uncomfortable.

Shan2nu
Old 25th March 2005, 23:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Exactly my point. When does a person need to rest? When he is tired, why does he get tired, bcoz he's not able to keep working beyond a certain point.

Why would someone need to rest his legs if they aren't hurting or getting stressed out? C'mon man, it's as simple as that.

Shan2nu
there must be some sorta logic in there but for the love of god i am not able to see it!! but i think by that logic... a person who is fond of driving can drive endlessly without getting tired. hmm...so that means that since i was tired after driving 8 hours to kodai couple of weeks back, my tiredness indicates that i am not fond of driving... which kinda flies in the face of the fact that i enjoyed every second of that 8 hour drive in my crampy zen. Shan... ur logic is throwing up some contradictions... and as Ayn Rand has said, "whenever faced with contradictions, check ur premise.. one of them is bound to be wrong coz contradictions dont exist." U gotta check ur premise, dude!

cheers
amitoj
Old 26th March 2005, 00:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there must be some sorta logic in there but for the love of god i am not able to see it!! but i think by that logic... a person who is fond of driving can drive endlessly without getting tired. hmm...so that means that since i was tired after driving 8 hours to kodai couple of weeks back, my tiredness indicates that i am not fond of driving... which kinda flies in the face of the fact that i enjoyed every second of that 8 hour drive in my crampy zen.
You felt tired bcoz you spent all your energy enjoying your drive. You just gotta accept the fact that you cannot drive for more than 8 hrs without feeling tired. I accept it, i always say that i prefer short and fast trips, to long and slow ones.

Quote:
How often a person uses CC depends on how long he can keep driving without feeling uncomfortable.
And that is exactly what i meant when i said the above quoted statement. I love to drive but, for a certain period of time.

So, CC is not necessary unless you're travelling on an expresway for a longer period than what your body and mind can cope with. If you feel tired after 8 hours of driving, be my guest and use cruise control (provided the roads allow you).

Shan2nu
Old 26th March 2005, 00:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Ok dude, i'm done, for now. Somehow, i don't see any logic in your way of thinking and you don't see any in mine. I guess there's no way we can possibly come to any sort of agreement here. What ever it is, sooner or later people are gonna find out how useful, or un-useful CC is in India.

Is it worth having it installed on your car? That i guess, will depend on how badly you need it.

Peace!

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th March 2005 at 00:36.
Old 26th March 2005, 09:40   #36
Team-BHP Support

Few comments after going through all the posts in this thread:

1. Cruise control, according to me is a complete waste in this country. Cruise control works only when you know ĎXí km in front of you is completely free from any obstructions, traffic zigzags, no four legged/two legged elements crossing. These, however are parts of our roads and going to be with us as long as weíre alive.

2. To counter the above something like ĎPark Distance Sensorí with a longer distance sensitivity is more suitable for Indian cars. This should be a standard across all car categories.

3. Cruise control again, is not suitable for (if Gordon is referring to Bombay-Pune) express way. I do travel at least 20 times a year on that road and one cannot use cruise control for more than 15 mnts at a stretch. Cut that time further down after getting in Khandala section.

4. Amitoj, after driving for eight hours one should feel tired. Unless heís a superman. But more than draining your physical energy itís mental energy which makes you feel so tired. No matter how good the road is, you never know whatís going pop out on the road from nowhere. Thatís India for you and thatís why cruise control is ineffective.
Old 26th March 2005, 10:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, cruise control are meant for Expressways/Autobahns.

Expressways abroad have different lanes which specify a certain speed you HAVE to be travelling at. On these lanes, one can set the cruise control to the minimum (or more) speed limit of that lane.

These expressways are just straight and one can even relax and not hold the steering wheel. There is no danger of anybody coming running on the road, animals, etc.
Old 27th March 2005, 01:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse, to me, driving is a pleasure. LOL

Shan2nu
Likewise here. I love driving to the core.
My driver did not dare to be on the driving seat if he was to accompany me. Only with my parents.

Tarun
Old 27th March 2005, 01:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
We are talking about using cruise control so that we enjoy driving for a longer period of time with as little stress as possible. thats all!
cheers
amitoj
That's the intention !
Old 27th March 2005, 01:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
If there's an uncertainty as to when you might have to brake, then cruise control is a total waste. I can understand if you're gonna keep your foot off the pedals for hours at a stretch but, for 5 mins?

Shan2nu

Also look at the greener side, short spells of 5-10 minutes pays a lot in the long run. If its more enjoy it.
Howz having right foot on the accelerator makes one certain when is time for brake ?? Again, the point is not to take off your attention from road, but just giving that leg a bit of ease on that available stretch.
For that matter, many cars have a left foot rest just next to clutch. You would also need to press clutch during those “uncertain” braking times. Is that a waste ?

Quote:

Cruise control in India is as useful as having a GPS Navigation system on your car. It's just there as a fancy gadget.

Shan2nu
Honestly,i think GPS has not been well understood or put to ideal use in India. With the kind of tourist potential in our country, this would have been a boom for safe guarding foreign tourists and promoting tourism.
Well that’s a different topic altogether.

Quote:

I'm not complaining, if my car comes with it but, there's no sense in installing an after market cruise control on a car.

Shan2nu
We still have not discussed about the technical aspects involved. Discussion has been more towards "why in india?" factor.

Tarun
Old 27th March 2005, 01:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Totally agree with that. How often a person uses CC depends on how long he can keep driving without feeling uncomfortable.

Shan2nu
Nope, nope ! its not at all about the ability of handling long distance driving, this is about making it more comfortable……. more enjoyable…….. more lovable…… more miles to cover.

Also, I would not wait to use CC only till my leg starts aching. I would use it anytime that I think can be triggered. I would like to delay the tiredness as long as possible. For the love of driving, many a times I have gone into that mental phase when you literally do not feel the pain and keep on driving. Similar to marathon runners, when they start pushing their bodies to move on and on and a stage comes when you just flow. Here the mind gets stimulated to ignore the pain or stress that body is experiencing. Only when you are done, stop or move out of that position you sense the pain again.

Tarun
Old 27th March 2005, 02:16   #42
BHPian

Pls. do not compare US to India.
For that matter, India is too early for a Vtec / Skoda RS .Where would you put these cars on roads and for how long ? Knowing the roads and conditions in India these capable cars should not have been launched. Ask the owners here, many level headed enjoy the bliss of their performance cars knowing the limitations around and put that to max. use . That's what is being aimed for. Extracting max usage with whatever we have.

Deriving from my exp of highway driving, I think cruise control can be put to reasonably good use on capable highways, provided and NOT assumed that :

1. CC is for high speeds only and for a minimum set of defined time frame.
Cruise at 70-80 and be in control. Enjoy it for whatever substantial time it has to be there.

2.You cannot handle or do not love long drives.

3.Has to be used only after you are tired of 6-8 hours driving, rather use wherever you can from initial stages.
If you are aware that your days driving would be more than 6-8 hours you would use CC right from the word go, and not wait till you get tired. With this, you would actually increase your effeicency to drive for longer hours.

4.You are allowed to take it easy, just relax when CC is on.
Rather be equally alert.

5. Only if extreme facilities are available, then applicable, else not.
Forget US, you won’t find them even if there’s an expressway to moon.

Tarun
Old 27th March 2005, 02:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a pain to have you right foot on accelerator all the time when the drive is nothing but cruising at 100-120 on stretch.
That's what you said in the opening post. Pain, as you mentioned it can mean mental stress/frustration or physical pain.

It doesn't make a diff to us whether you get it installed on your car and cruise to your neighbours house. The fact, is that there is no market in India for installing CC on cars, after they've been bought.

Quote:
I think its really a necessity for all who drive long on highways.
It's not a necessity here. I bet majority of Indians will find it more irritating, than luxurious.

Shan2nu
Old 27th March 2005, 12:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

yo tarun, we bhpians love the skodas and the vtecs, and they are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. so, don't you dare turn against those beautiful machines!!!!! and besides, when 220 kmph, 40 lac mercs can be sold in India (albeit in the luxury segment), why not the 14lac RS or the 10 lac vtecs:they give affordable performance to the masses...
and as far as the necessity for CC goes, check this: would YOU fit it in a 4 lac zen, if it costed 30,000 bucks (installation charges,el. unit, sensors, et al.)? or would you rather spend it on something else, like a better deck? both of them (the deck and the CC) aid in highway cruising anyways.....

like Shan2nu and mr. Rudra said, fitting cc in India is useless, at least for cars under the 10 lac rupees bracket ( as O.E.). but as for aftermarket fitment, it depends upon individual taste, and how he/she wants to utilise his/her money. like i said before, the cash and time spent just isn't worth it; the money would be better spent in features like the A.B.S , which, by the way, is becoming mandatory, and also, is a much better investment, considering the safety offered.
Old 27th March 2005, 13:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

I mean, who would want to invest in getting an aftermarket CC installed in their car?

There's no doubt that 99% of the car owning population here, would prioritize music systems, better tyres, fancy alloy wheels, add on kits and engine modifications over cruise control.

Shan2nu
Closed Thread