Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 01:26   #226
BHPian
 
Insane Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 984
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Does the Dec 2008 5 series without USB and Bluetooth come with the iPod adapter?
As Sujithnk said, It doesnt come with the iPod retrofit, but you can purchase it thru the dealer for around Rs.55k, or call for it from the US, like i did, and give the retrofit kit to the dealer for install, all coming up to around Rs.22k!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 19:42   #227
BHPian
 
spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Anybody tried hooking up their iphone to the USB port ? My phone does not even charge and keeps vibrating while its hooked up to the USB. Using bluetooth the phone dialer works beautiful but cant listen to the music.

Looks like I have to buy one of those iPod adapters. My BMW is Apr 09 production version.
spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 12:10   #228
BHPian
 
ackyash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 81
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Hey guys,

Does the BSI Ultimate package not cover wheel balancing / alignment? Took in my X3 for its 1st oil change today to BMW Chandigarh and was informed that the wheel balancing / alignment will be about 6500 to 7000 and will not be covered under the BSI Ultimate. They sure make it a point not to tell you about the exclusions at the time of selling such packages.

We may be able to purchase world class cars in India but sorry to say we Indians will never be able to buy world class service, at least in our car dealerships.
ackyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 11:30   #229
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,740
Thanked: 89,249 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Does the BSI Ultimate package not cover wheel balancing / alignment? Took in my X3 for its 1st oil change today to BMW Chandigarh and was informed that the wheel balancing / alignment will be about 6500 to 7000 and will not be covered under the BSI Ultimate. They sure make it a point not to tell you about the exclusions at the time of selling such packages.
The package is supposed to cover all scheduled maintenance activities. Last I checked, wheel balancing & alignment are also a part of regular upkeep. I hope your dealer was lying, but if BMW doesn't cover balancing / alignment, that's just plain foolish.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 11:55   #230
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

Ackyash, it is covered
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 23:28   #231
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 313
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Ackyash, it is not covered. Specifically mentioned in the brochure. The reason: I was told that it is not covered for every customer's request. This is to protect the dealers from the ultra sensitive users who would like to have their cars' wheels alligned & balanced at every 1000 kms. Poor workshop guys. Phew.

Here's how to proceed. Give them a reason why would you like to have your wheels alligned & balanced (and not that you WANT the wheels to be alligned & balanced). Just tell them that the vehicle pulls to a side or you feel that there is an excessive tyre wear or whatever you feel that makes you understand that the car needs wheel aligning & balancing...Off you go. It can covered.
BeamerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 12:41   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: BMW 5 series - ICE, BSI aftercare packages & other post purchase queries

Found that this thread hasn't been updated inawhile,
I have read around many posts and people are not recommending taking the secure package? It would be nice if someone could elucidate?

Another query of mine is that,what music system comes as a part of the BMW f10 520d/525d/530d. The sales representative said Harman Kardon but the sound quality did not seem so?
Is the music system in the 520d the same as the one found in the BMW X1 corp ed although it doesn't have iDrive?
manjith_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 11:43   #233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baroda
Posts: 176
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: BMW 5 series - ICE, BSI aftercare packages & other post purchase queries

On the 24th of Jan 2014 I found myself as a owner of a deep sea blue BMW 20dX3 Adv. Edition. Its my first diesel, first, SUV, First 4X4 and First German car. Having vexed and waned for better part of 2013 and part of 2012 on whether to buy such a expensive vehicle for a household which still cherishes a 9yr old Corolla with 100k on the ODO! I finally took the bait. With some sane level headed advice from Akshay1234 I took the bait.

Nevertheless, I have now got to vex and wane again about the BSI Package. Here's what Ive been quoted by BMW:

BSI OPTION WITHOUT TAX WITH TAX 12.36%
3YRS/60000KMS 232700 261461.72
3YRS/80000 KMS 281700 316518.12
5YRS/60000KMS 297300 334046.28
5YRS/1 LAC KMS 431200 484496.32

Now in my city surprisingly, fellow BMW owner's I know have opted for the BSI and don't recommend it. But Team BHP BMW owners have always recommended it.

My question is what shall I do? I know I can wait till the 1st service to decide but due to finances permitting I want to decide and do away with the package before 31st March 2014. I am only considering the 2yrs/60k package only as I really am planning to keep the car for 5 yrs and may be beyond if it remains reliably robust vehicle.

Now my advice seeking point is from everyone out there is does BSI makes sense? with the package I'm considering it turns out to be Rs. 5.56/km. Will regular maintenance without BSI cost me equal to it? Plus a lot of mundane things like cleaning the vehicle, Wheel balancing and alignments is not included. However, suspension problems is included. Plus you also get extended warranty which covers you for 5 yrs sufficiently. The big gamble seems to be to take a bet whether you'll end up paying less than 5 bucks/km over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Also the point in BSI is that it caps your expense. With these german high import content cars I have noticed the high cost inflation taking place practically every 6 months largely due to exchange factors. With not opting BSI you sort off leave yourself exposed to adverse cost inflation due to currency vagaries.

So all advice/ experience plus information will be welcomed to finally stop the vexing and waning!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th February 2014 at 17:44. Reason: Removing the last name as requested. Thanks :)
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 16:22   #234
BHPian
 
coloneljasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KL-11
Posts: 682
Thanked: 227 Times
Default Re: BMW 5 series - ICE, BSI aftercare packages & other post purchase queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Also the point in BSI is that it caps your expense. With these german high import content cars I have noticed the high cost inflation taking place practically every 6 months largely due to exchange factors. With not opting BSI you sort off leave yourself exposed to adverse cost inflation due to currency vagaries.

So all advice/ experience plus information will be welcomed to finally stop the vexing and waning!
Congratulations on your new BMW, abs182!

Please do opt for BSI with repair inclusive coverage. Trust me, it's worth it.

Last edited by coloneljasi : 19th February 2014 at 16:28.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 16:41   #235
BHPian
 
abishek2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 352
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: BMW 5 series - ICE, BSI aftercare packages & other post purchase queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
fellow BMW owner's I know have opted for the BSI and don't recommend it. But Team BHP BMW owners have always recommended it.
I would recommend it, The big gamble is if you have any unforeseen surprises during the lifetime of the ownership. With the BSI the service adviser would be able to change any or all parts without giving you a cost estimate because it's free. I have replaced the entire front brake disc assembly once which would have been expensive otherwise. A point is the cost of the BSI increases every year, secondly if you do take it at a later time the calculation is from 0 kms not from the number of kms run at the time of purchase of BSI. If you tend to drive the car hard I would say safer to take the BSI.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 21:03   #236
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,203
Thanked: 2,954 Times
Default Re: BMW 5 series - ICE, BSI aftercare packages & other post purchase queries

Quote:
my advice seeking point is from everyone out there is does BSI makes sense?
Yes , go for it

Quote:
you also get extended warranty which covers you for 5 yrs sufficiently
Extended warranty will be to extent of BSI package you opt , for 5 Years you will need to buy 5 Year package .

Quote:
I am only considering the 2yrs/60k package only as I really am planning to keep the car for 5 yrs and may be beyond if it remains reliably robust vehicle
You should buy the 2 year 60,000 or even 40,000 if they still have . You can always upgrade to higher one as soon as you are nearing end of term - KM or Year by paying difference applicable on that day . So if you have bought 2 Year BSI and after 2 Years you want to extend to 5 Years they will charge prices applicable for 5 Year Minus 2 Year prices applicable on that day & not what you originally paid , this is so honest & customer friendly that people like me always go back to them , I cant think of any other manufacturer doing something like this .
Quote:
it remains reliably robust vehicle.
Trust me it will , after about 3 Years and 60 KM on ODO my Car is absolutely in same condition as was on Day 1 - no rattles , sounds , vibrations . Despite I have travelled on almost all kind of roads including - Somnath to Bhavnagar - I believe you will be aware of condition of that road couple of years back

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st March 2014 at 21:06.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 22:19   #237
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cochin, B'lore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You should buy the 2 year 60,000 or even 40,000 if they still have . You can always upgrade to higher one as soon as you are nearing end of term - KM or Year by paying difference applicable on that day . So if you have bought 2 Year BSI and after 2 Years you want to extend to 5 Years they will charge prices applicable for 5 Year Minus 2 Year prices applicable on that day & not what you originally paid , this is so honest & customer friendly that people like me always go back to them , I cant think of any other manufacturer doing something like this .
Have a question in this regard, say I buy a 2 year BSI plus package and before the end of the 2nd year I want to extend my package for another 3 years, do I have the option of upgrading to the BSI Ultimate package for the next 3 years?

I think they refer to these packages by different names now, but I suppose you get my point.
275BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 22:38   #238
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,203
Thanked: 2,954 Times
Default Re: BMW 5 series - ICE, BSI aftercare packages & other post purchase queries

Quote:
say I buy a 2 year BSI plus package and before the end of the 2nd year I want to extend my package for another 3 years, do I have the option of upgrading to the BSI Ultimate package for the next 3 years?
Yes , you should be able to do as long as you are paying difference applicable on package costs at that day .. so if you paid 1 lac for Plus for 2 Years in 2012 & today it costs 1.2 lac , you will need to pay today's cost of Ultimate Minus 1.2 Lac i.e present cost of Plus. But you will lose benefits of Ultimate over Plus on the lapsed 2 Years as they will consider package price of Ultimate since start.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st March 2014 at 22:40.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:49   #239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Baroda
Posts: 176
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: BMW 5 series - ICE, BSI aftercare packages & other post purchase queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
I would recommend it, The big gamble is if you have any unforeseen surprises during the lifetime of the ownership. With the BSI the service adviser would be able to change any or all parts without giving you a cost estimate because it's free. I have replaced the entire front brake disc assembly once which would have been expensive otherwise. A point is the cost of the BSI increases every year, secondly if you do take it at a later time the calculation is from 0 kms not from the number of kms run at the time of purchase of BSI. If you tend to drive the car hard I would say safer to take the BSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes , go for it



Extended warranty will be to extent of BSI package you opt , for 5 Years you will need to buy 5 Year package .



You should buy the 2 year 60,000 or even 40,000 if they still have . You can always upgrade to higher one as soon as you are nearing end of term - KM or Year by paying difference applicable on that day . So if you have bought 2 Year BSI and after 2 Years you want to extend to 5 Years they will charge prices applicable for 5 Year Minus 2 Year prices applicable on that day & not what you originally paid , this is so honest & customer friendly that people like me always go back to them , I cant think of any other manufacturer doing something like this .

Trust me it will , after about 3 Years and 60 KM on ODO my Car is absolutely in same condition as was on Day 1 - no rattles , sounds , vibrations . Despite I have travelled on almost all kind of roads including - Somnath to Bhavnagar - I believe you will be aware of condition of that road couple of years back
Its heartening to know that the vehicle remains robust and niggle free with your kind of 20k kms running every year. Yes the Bhavnagar - Somnath roads some time ago were a litmus test for a vehicle's durability.

I made a typo in my post. The one i'm considering is 5YRS/60000KMS Rs. 334046.28. So my thinking is like if I just go for 15k services every yr i'll have an average cost of Rs. 66,809 per service. Now initially I think I'll be paying below that amount if I go without BSI but with passage of time i.e. from 3rd yr on wards will the service costs and replacement costs of any parts exceed this amount by far?

@ Turbanator: which model do you have of BMW? Your usage and your experience with the reliability of the vehicle will be great for 1st time owners like me!
abs182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 12:12   #240
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,203
Thanked: 2,954 Times
Default Re: BMW 5 series - ICE, BSI aftercare packages & other post purchase queries

Quote:
The one i'm considering is 5YRS/60000KMS Rs. 334046.28.
I will still suggest you to opt for 2 or maximum 3 Years in beginning . As explained you can always extend this package . Who knows after 3 Years you have itching to upgrade , service costs depend partially on how you drive as well , like I burn Brake pads in 530D every 10 - 15 K or so but with my driver these lasts much longer . As of now I have not seen any major services where costs were different from regular or maybe I have overlooked as I dont need to pay anything . BSI packages have been one of Major reasons I have sticked with the brand besides the Local dealer who is very supportive. Recently they got my Battery replaced for X6 under BSI despite having unfavourable driving profile diagnostics in scan , these small gestures ensure I remain Loyal to the Brand .

Quote:
which model do you have of BMW? Your usage and your experience with the reliability of the vehicle will be great for 1st time owners like me!
I have owned 320D , 530D , X5 & X6 . I sold 3 series & X5 before they crossed 30,000 KM , all of these have been trouble free & almost as or more reliable than any other Cars My past cars include Pajero , Fortuner, Innova , CRV .
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW Maintenance Packages - Buying New BMW Cheaper Than Buying Used? smartcat The Indian Car Scene 76 1st December 2017 09:06
Attached: BMW's full BSI & extended warranty price list (up to 10 years / 200,000 kms) VSD Technical Stuff 45 26th October 2017 16:40
BMW 3 series, Ice aftercare, accessories, etc morphin1 Modifications & Accessories 63 22nd December 2010 10:58
what's the difference between a grey market purchase and a B&W purchase wannabelean In-Car Entertainment 99 3rd June 2009 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks