Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 07:12   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 118
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Lost my INNOVA key , the one with remote .as of now using the other spare key which does not have a remote . The ASC says it will cost 14K to get a new remote key , what are the other ways to get the remote ...
Rovergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 07:43   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,900 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Lost my INNOVA key , the one with remote .as of now using the other spare key which does not have a remote . The ASC says it will cost 14K to get a new remote key , what are the other ways to get the remote ...
No other way.
Note: When you do get a replacement key - the old one wont start the engine any more. But the old one can still be used to get into the car. So, change the door locks on the front doors.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 07:57   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 118
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Joybhowmik , Can i get just the remote spare some where out side or is it a closed door .
Rovergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 08:32   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,900 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Joybhowmik , Can i get just the remote spare some where out side or is it a closed door .
Requires reprogramming the key and the ecu.If someone has the equipment - you can try but I would not recommend it.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 09:31   #65
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 916
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Joybhowmik , Can i get just the remote spare some where out side or is it a closed door .

Not really sure about Toyota but in Skoda it's easy to flash a remote key and reprogram it with VCDS. Have done it myself a couple of times while upgrading components like CECM. Takes just 2 mins to flash any compatible key and reprogram it. It's a simple procedure.

Technically Toyota or any other car should have something similar but you need the cable and the respective OBD program to do this and any key of similar type.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 12:22   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,900 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Technically Toyota or any other car should have something similar but you need the cable and the respective OBD program to do this and any key of similar type.
Correct. Except that Toyota's OBD codes are not standard OBD 2. The generic scanners do not work very well on Toyota. Hence advised for main dealer support.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 25th August 2014 at 12:25.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 12:44   #67
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 916
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Correct. Except that Toyota's OBD codes are not standard OBD 2. The generic scanners do not work very well on Toyota. Hence advised for main dealer support.
When I said "respective" OBD program, I meant Toyota specific and not generic. I think you got that wrong.

Most probably he might have to get it from the authorized centre itself which means he has no choice but shell out what ever it costs which I think would not be cheap. Chances of finding someone with a Toyota specific OBD tool may not be as easy as that of VAG cars. But, if at all that is a possibility, he could save some unnecessary expense. That's all I meant. Not trying to tell that this is a better option than going to the Toyota A.S.S. Just listed out a cheaper alternative for his info. as cost was a concern.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 23:42   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 541
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Bumping up an old thread here. Read a few threads on similar issues on lost keys etc.

It seems that the only completely safe option incase of a 'lost key' is to change the entire lock assembly.

Kind of renders the whole immobilizer concept pointless ?
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 00:16   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 262
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

I may be wrong but I distinctly remember my SA mentioning that the ECU needs to be remapped if the keys are changed. This is to register the new key-ecu and hence immobilizer combination.

This was for TATA cars, not sure of others.

Last edited by @Chaand : 30th December 2014 at 00:22.
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 00:24   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
It seems that the only completely safe option in case of a 'lost key' is to change the entire lock assembly.

Kind of renders the whole immobilizer concept pointless ?
Immobilizer concept is to prevent access to someone without the original key when they try to start the vehicle. It is not applicable in case of a lost key that is used to steal that vehicle.

The ECU would also need to be re-mapped to the frequency of the new set of keys once you change the lock assembly.

May be the experts can comment on the feasibility of this - if the frequency of the existing key can be updated along with the ECU, it might be sufficient to get a duplicate key generated based on the key number and the existing locks retained.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 00:37   #71
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,351
Thanked: 13,235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Immobilizer concept is to prevent access to someone without the original key when they try to start the vehicle. It is not applicable in case of a lost key that is used to steal that vehicle.

The ECU would also need to be re-mapped to the frequency of the new set of keys once you change the lock assembly.
You are right, the ECU needs to be re-flashed with the new key data (frequency, codes etc) asking with the whole locking system requiring a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Bumping up an old thread here. Read a few threads on similar issues on lost keys etc.

It seems that the only completely safe option incase of a 'lost key' is to change the entire lock assembly.

Kind of renders the whole immobilizer concept pointless ?
Why pointless?

The Immobilizer is there for good which protects the car from being stolen using some X Y Z key. If the codes/frequencies do NOT match, the Immobilizer kicks-in rendering the car useless.

Once a new set is made the brain (read ECU) needs to be informed and updated hence the re flashing and change of all locks need to be done.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th December 2014 at 00:41.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 08:43   #72
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 916
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Key lost : Now what?

It's just an adaptation procedure which flashes and matches the car and key with new codes. When you get a new key and adapt it to use with that particular car by coding, your old key would anyways be of no use. In VAG cars, you could erase the learnt keys and adapt a new set of keys to use with that car. Hence your old keys cannot be used to steal your car if those are erased and new keys are adapted to your car. Even your present car keys would not function after you erase the learnt keys. You have to carry out the adaptation for the keys to function again. There is a procedure for it which is simple. Even I could do it. Just takes a couple of minutes with VCDS on a VAG car. Other cars with similar tech., it should be the same.

However if you lost the whole set of old keys, lock might require a change as you might not be able to duplicate the old key pattern without a sample. If that could be done (which I doubt, or could it be done?), you wouldn't need to get the locks replaced. Security is not the concern here (for replacing locks), but actual matching of key pattern is. Like I said above, once all learnt keys are erased from the car, a key that matches lock pattern (even your car's old keys) would not start the car. Immobilizer is an electronic security aid. Lock is the physical one which is only the 1st step.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 30th December 2014 at 08:54.
ajaypjayaraj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 16:51   #73
BHPian
 
luvtandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 99
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

The key of my brother-in-laws Wagon-R was lost/misplaced by the driver today. Although he has a spare key with remote but will still not prefer to use it as the danger of theft will be looming large. The car is a 2010 model with the remote on the keys itself. The price quoted by Maruti owned and operated Service Centre at Naraina, Delhi is around 8-10k. According to them they will have to source it which will take a day or two and it will take a full day to replace all the locks and program the key. What I wanted to know is that is the price and time duration required justified and should we go ahead with the full replacement.

Thanks & regards !!
luvtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 17:06   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,374
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Get a duplicate key made from outside. Should cost around 2k for new key + remote.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 17:25   #75
BHPian
 
latentpotential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: IIM, Ahmedabad
Posts: 500
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: Key lost : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtandon View Post
The key of my brother-in-laws Wagon-R was lost/misplaced by the driver today. Although he has a spare key with remote but will still not prefer to use it as the danger of theft will be looming large. The car is a 2010 model with the remote on the keys itself. The price quoted by Maruti owned and operated Service Centre at Naraina, Delhi is around 8-10k. According to them they will have to source it which will take a day or two and it will take a full day to replace all the locks and program the key. What I wanted to know is that is the price and time duration required justified and should we go ahead with the full replacement.

Thanks & regards !!
The quote is correct, they will also arrange for reprogramming from nippon as well for the new keys as part of this. The keys will come from the factory and they may also ask you for a copy of the Service Manual where a key number is mentioned or the number on the tag of the old spare key.

In your specific case you can have the old lost key and the old spare deactivated, keeping only the new ones active.

In other cases e.g. old key broken, but not open to misuse, nippon can actually program the car in such a way that all 3 keys can be used together i.e. 1 old and 2 new will all work on the car.

This will also not apply when you change the locksets of your car.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duplicate Keys, Remote Key OBD Programming : Key Master (Andheri, Mumbai) frankmehta Mumbai 30 24th June 2017 19:00
Swift Remote Key Lost! please help Kiyon Technical Stuff 23 25th January 2015 20:59
Strange problem: Closed the car loan,but bank lost my car key rajshenoy Indian Car Loans & Insurance 30 20th March 2012 17:59
"King of Key" - Guess the car or bike from its key! vrprabhu Shifting gears 67 24th April 2010 18:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks