Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 1st January 2009, 18:43   #256
Senior - BHPian

since the tuner has also claimed 500bhp for this car, why not lock this thread until either the OP/owner/Tuner provides conclusive proof of the same ?
till then anything else will be just empty talk
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 19:02   #257
Senior - BHPian

Sure - Pete seems to have advertised this as a 500bhp Octavia on his site.

There is an address, telephone number and even a FREEphone number at the bottom - I guess those who arent convinced can always call up and request a dyno sheet.

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited, P. B No-3563, M G Road, Cochin – 682035. Helpline - +919895088444. TOLL FREE - 1800 425 8844

Think about it - if you dont receive the confirmation required you can even sue him for wrongful advertising, instead of shouting down the poor chap here that actually drove this car. I think that makes more sense, too.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 19:13   #258
Senior - BHPian

Why is everyone hell bent on locking such a wonderful thread. Vivekji you should be happy that your claim has been substitianted by Peter on his website. So the burden of guilt if any lies on Peter for giving you the claim.

If I was a lawyer 3 things are clear:

1) Vivekji was telling the truth about being told by Peter that its a 500 bhp RS

2) If indeed Peter the respectable tuner that he is, has carried out the same mods as the CC mods done in UK, and if indeed the car churns out even close to 500 bhp, than the joke is upon everybody in this thread including some very respectable bhpians who have been going round and round with Vivek

3) If the Skoda is not making 500 bhp or even close, than we should seriously be questioning the tuner who has adverstised this as a 500 bhp monster.

Not to single out Pete (the most respected tuner in this forum), but I feel that most tuners in India tend to exhagerate. However I am awaiting Pete (being a member of this forum) to respond to this thread. His silence is raising concern!

Last edited by aseem : 1st January 2009 at 19:15.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 20:32   #259
Senior - BHPian

GUYS! Relax!! Lets cut the guy some slack here!!!

I know the 500Bhp sounds too far fetched, and even i won't believe it without some proof, but why is everyone breathing down the thread starters neck for that. It is not his claim. I've seen this car when it was being built, and Mathew had told me that it was going to be a 500Bhp car. Also, what is the point of asking Vivek to post the dyno results?? Its not his car, nor is he the tuner. If the owner is interested in doing so, let him. Or if someone is hell bent on proving it wrong, why not take it upon themselves to do it??

I'm no tech guy, so most of the posts in this thread seem like gibberish to me, but what is annoying is people questioning his writing style, and its negative publicity for the tuner blah blah, : OT: I compare a members can with another in another thread and get infracted saying its a personal attack, So Why isnt this taken as a personal attack and infracted??

And there are people in this forum who claim magical gains with a K&N filter etc, so isnt that amateurish?? What i understand is this guy has expressed what he felt in layman terms, Which the pro's didnt like. But hey, I'm a layman, so i liked his style of writing!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 20:34   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Sure - Pete seems to have advertised this as a 500bhp Octavia on his site.

There is an address, telephone number and even a FREEphone number at the bottom - I guess those who arent convinced can always call up and request a dyno sheet.

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited, P. B No-3563, M G Road, Cochin – 682035. Helpline - +919895088444. TOLL FREE - 1800 425 8844

Think about it - if you dont receive the confirmation required you can even sue him for wrongful advertising, instead of shouting down the poor chap here that actually drove this car. I think that makes more sense, too.

Just saw this post! Steer, i TOTALLY agree with u!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 20:40   #261
Senior - BHPian

unfortunately *some* people will not rest and keep posting here until they get some proof and keep harping on the number. For me , Pete's word is good enough, but unfortunately, not for everyone.
Old 1st January 2009, 20:46   #262
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Talking I'm posting this against my better judgement

The parts used, the car used, the, the set up, the ECU tuning, all of it, has been done before, and is the exact replica of Octavias that have been dynoed abroad and made 500bhp.

My doubt is, if the car is exactly the same as the one that dynoed 500bhp abroad, wont this one produce similar numbers?

If not, how much of a difference can we expect? and what would be the reasons for the difference if they are identical in all aspects?

My disappointment is not about the fact that the numbers are being questioned, its the fact that Vivekji is being hounded out inspite of the effort he has taken and the enthusiasm he has shown in sharing the impression he got of the car.

Last edited by rippergeo : 1st January 2009 at 20:48.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 20:50   #263
BHPian

I still can't believe that the stock gearbox will hold almost 3 times the power and torque.

If the stock gear box holds up to that power then it must be the world's most overbuilt box.
mura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 20:59   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
I still can't believe that the stock gearbox will hold almost 3 times the power and torque.

If the stock gear box holds up to that power then it must be the world's most overbuilt box.
the clutch seems to have been upgraded
Quote:
5 . Spec Stg 3+ clutch assembly
dunno about the gears though

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st January 2009 at 21:04. Reason: didnt read the quoted post :P
Old 1st January 2009, 21:01   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
um, did you read the article ?
Yes i did , that is ONLY the clutch NOT the gearbox.
mura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 22:11   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I know the 500Bhp sounds too far fetched, and even i won't believe it without some proof, but why is everyone breathing down the thread starters neck for that. It is not his claim. I've seen this car when it was being built, and Mathew had told me that it was going to be a 500Bhp car. Also, what is the point of asking Vivek to post the dyno results?? Its not his car, nor is he the tuner. If the owner is interested in doing so, let him. Or if someone is hell bent on proving it wrong, why not take it upon themselves to do it??
Everyone is behind him for the simple reason that he is authoritatively saying it's 500BHP. When questioned about dynographs he didn't have to post up any CC dynographs, he could've just kept quiet and asked whoever doubted his claim to go and talk to Peter. But instead of that he was trying to prove it's 500BHP and ofcourse some silly remarks. That's why everyone was after him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The parts used, the car used, the, the set up, the ECU tuning, all of it, has been done before, and is the exact replica of Octavias that have been dynoed abroad and made 500bhp.

My doubt is, if the car is exactly the same as the one that dynoed 500bhp abroad, wont this one produce similar numbers?

If not, how much of a difference can we expect? and what would be the reasons for the difference if they are identical in all aspects?

My disappointment is not about the fact that the numbers are being questioned, its the fact that Vivekji is being hounded out inspite of the effort he has taken and the enthusiasm he has shown in sharing the impression he got of the car.
No it won't be the same for reasons mentioned by others before. And the closest to 500BHP was the 485BHP CC dynograph he posted, but that car had a rebored to 1900cc (rest of mods said to be similar) engine. So if a rebored to 1900cc engine is making only 485BHP in UK i wonder how much the car here makes.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 23:40   #267
Team-BHP Support

vivek - since you have managed to get hold of dyno sheets for similar cars in the uk would it be possible to get the timings of those cars? 0-100 and 0-200?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:42   #268
BHPian

Have to hand it to Vivek for being a good sport and still posting on this Thread or even on this Forum after all this brickbats that's been handed over to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Serously dude, do you even know anything about how IC engines work and how engine specifications affect power and torque output? Or did you think that any engine irrespective of its CC will produce the same power as long its made by the same manufacturer and has the exact same modifications done to it.
And I think he knows a thing or two about automobiles since he is a Automobile Engineering Graduate and a part time Automobile Columnist for some very famous dailys,in Kerala. All he did was,give us the First review of the fastest Skoda in India,Months before some magazines published it.

But now it seems like a crime ,he didn't deserve this downtrodden treatment from fellow BHPians for his Awesome report, those dyno reports were posted here as he knew from the tuner that almost the same parts went into this Octavia and just to prove the fact or resolve the Myth that a 1.8 Litre skoda can make 500+ BHP.

We BHPians have been through much worse things together like one BHPian ripping another off of some measely silver coins,but did Vivek Really deserve this ? did he commit any such crimes? And I have to ask what JayD asked before wasn't everyone doing a personal attack on vivek ? If yes,why no Infractions?

Peace.

Last edited by muneemmk : 2nd January 2009 at 02:48.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 03:26   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Rocam
3) Is block Open Deck or Closed Deck?
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but slightly OT;

Jeetu bhai, would the deck type matter? Coz you can sleeve/bore them both...although technically you would be sleeving a open-deck and boring a closed deck...

The 1.9 TDi is a closed deck; IIRC, so is the 1.8 VRS.

Another query. It's a given that you'd need a higher-than-normal S.C.R to run aggressive valve gear/timing (ergo, D.C.R). What do you suppose the compression should be like for 28-30 Psi boost levels; for this engine at least, given the ? 9-odd (considering stock SCR is a claimed 9.5)?

PS - What SCR you running now? Compression kitna Psi?
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:12   #270
Senior - BHPian

Firstly no one is and if at all is, then should not be bad mouthing Vivekji05 as he has taken the pains to start such a thread. But backing claims of the output without proof is something everyone should refrain from, including Vivekji05.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Why is everyone hell bent on locking such a wonderful thread. Vivekji you should be happy that your claim has been substitianted by Peter on his website. So the burden of guilt if any lies on Peter for giving you the claim.

If I was a lawyer 3 things are clear:

1) Vivekji was telling the truth about being told by Peter that its a 500 bhp RS

2) If indeed Peter the respectable tuner that he is, has carried out the same mods as the CC mods done in UK, and if indeed the car churns out even close to 500 bhp, than the joke is upon everybody in this thread including some very respectable bhpians who have been going round and round with Vivek

3) If the Skoda is not making 500 bhp or even close, than we should seriously be questioning the tuner who has adverstised this as a 500 bhp monster.

Not to single out Pete (the most respected tuner in this forum), but I feel that most tuners in India tend to exhagerate. However I am awaiting Pete (being a member of this forum) to respond to this thread. His silence is raising concern!
Obviously Aseem, you are not a lawyer as a lawyer does not take anyone's word for it being the truth but only looks for hard proof.

Agreed Peter is a very respected tuner, we have seen cars fitted by the Pete's Box doing substantially lower than what is claimed. Not doubting Pete's ability but we have dynoed a couple of RS-es and other cars, that makes what you said, absolutely true, about tuners exaggerating their claims in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
....And there are people in this forum who claim magical gains with a K&N filter etc, so isnt that amateurish??
Righton JayD and as if the claims made by these guys are believed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post

Absolutely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the clutch seems to have been upgraded
dunno about the gears though
Upgrading a clutch will not make your gearbox capable of taking the extra oomph..

Instead of taking sides here, lets just wait for some proof of the claim so we can all be satisfied. Lets no get into a express brawl which will lead to some joker shooting his mouth off and get infracted. So guys enough said. Please refrain from getting overtly carried away with your emotions. just chill.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote