Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 2nd January 2009, 21:32   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Don't wanna hijack this thread, but slightly OT;

Jeetu bhai, would the deck type matter? Coz you can sleeve/bore them both...although technically you would be sleeving a open-deck and boring a closed deck...
For high power output its recommended to have a close deck but then it largely depends on engine geometry,engine with a lower stroke/ROd ratio when revvved higher in open deck block will tend to put trumendous pressure on sidewall & will worn out faster.since upper portion is open, a slight vibration in higher rpm will effect gasket sealing & compression loss.

You can Resleeve an Open Deck block to close Deck & increase the Bore. though its a complicated process & if not done right will make a block unusable.

If R.S is already closed deck then it can be overbored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Another query. It's a given that you'd need a higher-than-normal S.C.R to run aggressive valve gear/timing (ergo, D.C.R). What do you suppose the compression should be like for 28-30 Psi boost levels; for this engine at least, given the ? 9-odd (considering stock SCR is a claimed 9.5)?

PS - What SCR you running now? Compression kitna Psi?
It largely depends on what type of fuel you want to run,environment conditions,intake air temperature etc.

eg: i am running ordinary fuel not even 93octane for up to 10 psi boost tuned on an economy map.
I have tested running 20 psi on 93octane fuel with no signs of detonation.
& have separate map for 97 octane fuel.
for 28-30 psi boost if you are at 9.5 S.C.R then fuel requirements should be 110+ octane for optimum power, but you can detune it to run on 97oct fuel with compromise in power.
As far as my S.C.R concerned just wait for some more time as i will be starting a separate thread soon after some fine tuning on dyno with all tech details/making etc.

Last edited by v12 : 3rd January 2009 at 11:38.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:26   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
If the stock gear box holds up to that power then it must be the world's most overbuilt box.
Your stock V160/161 tranny is pretty much the same, probably better. There's a Hyundai Accent 1.5 5 speed somewhere that does a 10 second quartermile.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:30   #273
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Never thought I'd actually be posting on this thread, but here goes:

Title: Pete's 500 bhp Octavia RS
Is it Pete's? No. It's some guy in Mumbai
Is it 500 Bhp? No data available
Is it an Octavia RS? From the pics, yes

This thread has progressed from being incredulous to almost downright ugly. The thread starter has produced absolutely no evidence to back his claims, but posted some irrelevant dyno graphs, made dowright cheap comments wrt financial abilities and pointed to "other people", who make claims with just a K&N, FFE etc. Here's my take on things.

Firstly, neither Peter nor the owner has started or even made a single post on this thread. In no post does it say that this thread was started at either's request / behalf. The thread starter has no data to back his claim whatsoever. As far as proof is concerned, there is none as to whether Peter actually made this claim, the thread starter drove this car or whether he even ever saw it!

Secondly, if either Peter or the owner wanted to divulge / share the build details of this car, I'm sure they could have done so themselves; I'm sure both are articulate enough. Apart from the veracity, this pretty much is a gross invasion of privacy; If I have a 500Bhp car and I choose to keep quiet about it, I should have a damn good reason for doing so!

Is this about whether Peter can effectively build a 500Bhp car? No. His expertise as a tuner does not come into the picture at all. He has left himself out of this whole sordid mess, so shall I.

As to silly things like, "Should I dyno this car myself, etc."? DON'T. Just don't put out ridiculous figures unless you have some data in hand! If you can accurately judge 500 bhp without ever seeing a dyno graph, the seat of your pants should be attracting a whole lot more business than Karan Shah's dyno (rates being competitive of course!)

As to sillier things like "How do we know claimed ICE actually costs as much?"
Dude, ICE comes with an MRP! Need I really say more?

As to the absolutely unnecessary " jealousy on the part of people who can't afford ..." That is simply in VERY bad taste and completely uncalled for! The thread starter has no way of knowing who can afford what; I know of ICE installs by TBhp members way more expensive than this build!

As for comments made by others, almost none are off topic and are in reply to whatever has been posted by the thread starter. The only way to silence sceptics is to post PROOF; the easier way is to NOT have a provocative title.

What the thread starter refuses to realise is that almost everyone commenting is genuinely happy for the owner as well as commending Peter for creating a really fast car. The ONLY thing that isn't going down well is the unsubstantiated claim made by the thread starter, who has NO PROOF,and is neither the owner nor the tuner! Fingers are NOT being pointed at Peter, they're pointed at YOU and YOUR claims!

In simple english, anyone who cannot back his claims with adequate proof is a LIAR!

^^Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The parts used, the car used, the, the set up, the ECU tuning, all of it, has been done before, and is the exact replica of Octavias that have been dynoed abroad and made 500bhp.

My doubt is, if the car is exactly the same as the one that dynoed 500bhp abroad, wont this one produce similar numbers?

If not, how much of a difference can we expect? and what would be the reasons for the difference if they are identical in all aspects?

My disappointment is not about the fact that the numbers are being questioned, its the fact that Vivekji is being hounded out inspite of the effort he has taken and the enthusiasm he has shown in sharing the impression he got of the car.
Even if the car has the same parts/same build, the car can be substantially down on power for so many reason. First of all, is this car running the same amount of boost? The dyno chart provided most recently spiked to 32 and was stable at 28. Thats a lot of boost for the poor quality fuel in India. I'd expect the engine to blow. Because of this, I'm guessing the boost the car is running is much lower(or I'd hope so). If so, the power will be WAY down from what the similar built cars are making.

Next is the Intake Air Temps, the ambient temps in India are higher, thus you could possibly expect some timing to be pulled because of inlet air temperatures. Again, a substantial loss of power compared to the similar built cars.

Next, every car is different, so if you put the same parts on 5 cars(same make/model), they will all make a different amount depending on the state of the motor, the individual tune, and the quality of the install.

The tune itself can lose you a large amount of power depending on how good or "safe" it is.

For any ONE of these reasons the car could be way down on power. What if it has ALL the reasons I've laid out in this car? The car can make less then half of what is claimed. Which is what it looks like in this case.

There are many many reasons why the EXACT setup can and often does make very different HP numbers. Like I said, this car has the potential for good HP, but right now, it isn't making it. Enough facts are in this thread to say definitively that this car is not making the stated/claimed HP figures.. it just is not.

BTW, the comments about jealousy and such are in poor taste. Whether one can own this kind of thing or not isn't the issue in this thread, I see no jealousy at all. I see people who actually know what they are talking about logically analyzing the data we have and conclude that the claims are unsubstantiated. Period.

I do this stuff for a living. We've made thousands of dyno runs. We been down many many 1/4 mile runs. We made many many other "runs" with high hp cars. We've dealt with every kind of build you can think of. This car is a typical car that "should" make xxx hp but it doesn't. And because of this, the people associated with it are not happy that others don't believe. Well what should be understood is those that don't believe have legitimate reasons for not believing, it is not anything other then knowledge and experience making us not believe. Sorry, but get the car dynoed, realize what we are saying is truth, then move on to figuring out what the differences between your setup is, or figure out what your issues are. This is the best advice I can give you. If I was in India, I'd offer my services for free, but I am on the other side of the world. Sorry.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:40   #274
BHPian

i just heard that the "500bhp" car has been featured in jan 09 issue of autocar , so i guess that article may provide more fuel for this fire.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:44   #275
Senior - BHPian

Go back and read the last few pages and you will realize that the fuel was added way back.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:04   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Go back and read the last few pages and you will realize that the fuel was added way back.
more fuel in terms of any evidence or the lack of it from that article , should make this more fun .
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:06   #277
Senior - BHPian

The lack of it. I think the fun on this thread is long over. Let it rest.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 13:16   #278
BHPian

I think this car would be showing to Deccan Quartermile Drag, need to wait and see how its performing in the quarter mile track.

Sorry for going O.T: Recently I came to know that Pete’s had a tourbo charged Honda VTEC, has anyone got any info on that? How it was performing?
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 19:14   #279
Senior - BHPian

as i said before it will be a huge waste of power. As anything above 160bhp on a FFR layout is a waste.

It was foolish of pete to put so much effort to upp it to 500bhp. and it is foolish of us to stretch this thread to 19 page long.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 21:07   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
as i said before it will be a huge waste of power. As anything above 160bhp on a FFR layout is a waste.

It was foolish of pete to put so much effort to upp it to 500bhp. and it is foolish of us to stretch this thread to 19 page long.

Really ?? If it is foolish to strech the thread then WHY are you contributing to the streching ?

As for "foolish" of pete to up it to 500 bhp..well that is your opinion, why not ask the owner if he thinks it is foolish ??

You dont have to post coz you have to post
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 22:19   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Really ?? If it is foolish to strech the thread then WHY are you contributing to the streching ?

As for "foolish" of pete to up it to 500 bhp..well that is your opinion, why not ask the owner if he thinks it is foolish ??

You dont have to post coz you have to post
Foolish as in quoted above 'technically'. As there are limitations of FFR vehicile. Funny nobody commented on it. All people saw was "is it making that much horses", did they dyno it??. What the heck.

If thats easy then why do beemer engineer etc spend extra money and head in desigining the drivetrain and tunnel in the monocoqe. Why not they simply use their best turbos or blowers. Or just remap it. After all they are the people who wrote the code of ECU in the first place. Isn't that would have been much simpler than to design a complex drivetrain with LSD and appropriate ground clearance, more cabin space, headroom, and what not.

This mod is like creating a funnycar/dragster, which creates 1000+ bhp but for what 10, 20 seconds. all in all for a straight line?

Last edited by SirAlec : 4th January 2009 at 22:26.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 22:38   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
I think this car would be showing to Deccan Quartermile Drag, need to wait and see how its performing in the quarter mile track.

Sorry for going O.T: Recently I came to know that Pete’s had a tourbo charged Honda VTEC, has anyone got any info on that? How it was performing?
It was a stock 1.5 turbo'd/ if yu do a search, you will find details of it on the forum
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 23:50   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Foolish as in quoted above 'technically'. As there are limitations of FFR vehicile. Funny nobody commented on it. All people saw was "is it making that much horses", did they dyno it??. What the heck
Funny is that you haven't read the thread at all.

There have been loads and loads of posts saying the same thing (and in more detail) than you just did. And that was many pages ago.

So guess Ricky is right, you just STRETCHED the thread without adding any value.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 09:25   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Read the article in Autocar. The tuner usually has some say about his car, wasnt there this time. Autocar dont claim the car to be 500bhp; all they say is tuner 'claims'.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 09:59   #285
BHPian

Check this video as well ...

A 300 BHP (As claimed by the tuner) does not handle well.
I guess 200 - 220 BHP is the MAX Handling capability for a vRS

Whats the point in having all the power if you cant use it.
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote