Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th June 2014, 10:49   #496
BHPian

Default Re: How does your car smell

After using 'My Shaldan' for many years, recently shifted to 'Charcoal' as suggested by Shibin of Petes. Though a bit expensive, I found it quite good. It has active charcoal based gel which seems to be working well to deodorize the car. Gives a pleasant feel while entering the car.
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 13:22   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
T It has active charcoal based gel which seems to be working well to deodorize the car.
Active charcoal being a chemical doesn't know how to distinguish between bad smell and good smell. So, *if* it deodorizes your car it will also remove any smell produced by the perfume .
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 15:06   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Active charcoal being a chemical doesn't know how to distinguish between bad smell and good smell. So, *if* it deodorizes your car it will also remove any smell produced by the perfume .
This one is from Valvoline. What ever, it leaves some nice fragrance. Here is the description.

The new range of luxury air fresheners from Valvoline bring smooth scents in fantastic design.
The premium fragrances are being sourced from France and Japan.
Try it out once to really indulge in the luxury of perfume while driving.
Activated charcoal provides powerful deodorizing in any environment. The embedded fragrance provides the masking effect.
Makes your home or car refreshing with a unique smell.
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 14:53   #499
BHPian

AERON IS SELLING EXPIRED PRODUCTS !

Bough AERON a few days back and I noticed it was smelling somewhat stale ! The MRP label did not mention any date of Expiry. Out of curiosity, I peeled the MRP label and was SHOCKED to see that the product had EXPIRED long back !!

The Importer (Amritras India, Delhi) has very cleverly put the MRP label over the Expiry Date so that he could probably hide it and sell off his dead-stock !

So all the Aeron users, beware and think twice before you are buying the products ! I will never buy Aeron in my life again, as I do not want to inhale expired products and get sick nor want to encourage such unprofessional importers with malicious intent who deliberately cheat their customers !
Attached Thumbnails
How does your car smell-1.jpg  

How does your car smell-2.jpg  

ashm99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 09:23   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashm99 View Post
AERON IS SELLING EXPIRED PRODUCTS !

Bough AERON a few days back and I noticed it was smelling somewhat stale ! The MRP label did not mention any date of Expiry. Out of curiosity, I peeled the MRP label and was SHOCKED to see that the product had EXPIRED long back !!

The Importer (Amritras India, Delhi) has very cleverly put the MRP label over the Expiry Date so that he could probably hide it and sell off his dead-stock !
So all the Aeron users, beware and think twice before you are buying the products ! I will never buy Aeron in my life again, as I do not want to inhale expired products and get sick nor want to encourage such unprofessional importers with malicious intent who deliberately cheat their customers !
While I agree with you on staying away from expired products, to be honest I don't think it is fair to generalize about the manufacturer Areon directly. This could very well be a one-off case where this particular importer was hoarding (and getting rid of) expired products, probably due to built-up inventory. I have been using Areon since years now and have always found their products to be far superior and long lasting compared to MyShaldan and other gel-based economy car perfumes. I always purchase my perfumes through eBay sellers.

If this dealer you bought from was on eBay, I would suggest you drop a negative feedback to the dealer on eBay and ask him to send you a free replacement. Most eBay sellers are wary about getting negative feedback / reputation on the site and will go to any lengths to sort out customer dissatisfaction.

P.S - about inhaling expired perfumes - nothing really toxic / harmful about it, except that it might give a funny, foul smell if terribly past the expiry date
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 13:58   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
While I agree with you on staying away from expired products, to be honest I don't think it is fair to generalize about the manufacturer Areon directly. This could very well be a one-off case where this particular importer was hoarding (and getting rid of) expired products, probably due to built-up inventory. I have been using Areon since years now and have always found their products to be far superior and long lasting compared to MyShaldan and other gel-based economy car perfumes. I always purchase my perfumes through eBay sellers.

If this dealer you bought from was on eBay, I would suggest you drop a negative feedback to the dealer on eBay and ask him to send you a free replacement. Most eBay sellers are wary about getting negative feedback / reputation on the site and will go to any lengths to sort out customer dissatisfaction.

P.S - about inhaling expired perfumes - nothing really toxic / harmful about it, except that it might give a funny, foul smell if terribly past the expiry date
The mistake definitely is not by manufacturer of Aeron, but by their importer in India. Whether you buy from ebay or from any other store, as long as you buy it in India, you do end up encouraging the importer. This may be a one-off case or a mass case (we don't know), but speaks of the mentality of the importer. My ethics forbid me to encourage such dubious importers who resort to such malpractices and deceive their customers. And it is not the mistake of any dealer on ebay, as dealers only buy from importers and sell. I would give a negative rating to the importer who stuck the MRP label on top of the Expiry Date to cover it up, but as they say, the truth can't be hidden for long and one day is bound to be in the open.

I would disagree with you as My Shaldan anyday lasts much longer ! Above all, please note that My Shaldan is a natural product with natural limonene oil (which I think it is derived from the peel of oranges), while Aeron is not ! I thinks this makes a hell lot of difference, especially in a world where we are surrounded by chemicals and chemicals. My Shaldan created the concept of gel air fresheners in India, which I think was later copied by likes of Aeron and others. I am huge fan of My Shaldan, have been using it for 5-6 years and will continue to be for the reasons stated above.

Air Fresheners when expired may tend to contaminate and some ingredients (especially essential oils) may degenerate to release harmful or toxic substances. I think its best to stay away.
ashm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 14:18   #502
BHPian

I am experimenting with Odonil Gel after trying various cheap/expensive options.
Seems like VFM.
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 14:27   #503
BHPian

Quote:
T

Above all, please note that My Shaldan is a natural product with natural limonene oil (which I think it is derived from the peel of oranges), while Aeron is not ! I thinks this makes a hell lot of difference, especially in a world where we are surrounded by chemicals and chemicals

Regarding safety of Limonene please read this:

Quote:
Limonene and its oxidation products are skin and respiratory irritants, and limonene-1,2-oxide (formed by aerial oxidation) is a known skin sensitizer. Most reported cases of irritation have involved long-term industrial exposure to the pure compound, e.g. during degreasing or the preparation of paints. However, a study of patients presenting dermatitis showed that 3% were sensitized to limonene
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 14:29   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Above all, please note that My Shaldan is a natural product with natural limonene oil (which I think it is derived from the peel of oranges), while Aeron is not ! I thinks this makes a hell lot of difference, especially in a world where we are surrounded by chemicals and chemicals.
Actually almost all citrus gel-based perfumes use D-Limonene as the active ingredient for producing the citrus fragrance, regardless of brand.

Quote:
Air Fresheners when expired may tend to contaminate and some ingredients (especially essential oils) may degenerate to release harmful or toxic substances. I think its best to stay away.
Yes, I agree its better to be on the safer side and discard any expired perfumes.

On a somewhat related note, I was going through an article on the net some weeks back about manufacturing of perfumes. Apparently, they do a lot of tests before launching perfumes, on the chemical reactions after expiry time has elapsed. There are strict regulations in place to ensure that expired perfumes (due to negligent usage by the owner beyond expiry date) do NOT emit toxic wastes. After expiry, chemical reactions do take place, they decompose and produce foul odour but it is not toxic just by inhaling. The perfumes are supposed to be tested for this.

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th June 2014 at 14:55.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2014, 14:47   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Regarding safety of Limonene please read this:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene
Limonene is an amazing natural compound found in lemon and orange peels. It has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, offers assistance for a variety of metabolic and health problems, has anti-cancer properties, and even helps with weight management.

As a health compound, it has shown a wonderful ability to help with a variety of health issues including improving indigestion, acid reflux, and sluggish bowel. It is a unique fat cleanser and helps clear cholesterol sludge including the sludge in the gall bladder that can form stones. Another aspect of cleansing assistance is that it also helps liver detoxification enzymes. Its calming properties help settle anxiety and therefore can be used as a natural sleep aid. It helps reduce appetite and improve metabolism, making it one more nutrient to assist with healthy weight management. And of great importance, it is a superior nutrient for breast cancer prevention.

Source: http://www.wellnessresources.com/hea...y_breast_canc/
ashm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 12:46   #506
BHPian

My car smells amazing!
I've been using the Ambi-Pur's Set&Refresh for about 2 years now and found it incredible
It's a room freshener, but I use it in the car; It has no side effects, neither on adults, nor the kids.
Here's the flavor that I use in my car and this is how I use it:

It is available online and in most of grocery shops too.
How does your car smell-ambipur_lavendar.jpg

I use a good double sided tape and have mounted it in the middle of the car.
How does your car smell-ambipur_carlocation_1.jpg

The scent is housed inside of this membrane which is sitting into the outer bracket. The moment the outer bracket is set with the membrane and set to lock by pulling upwards, there are a few holes created inside the membrane, and ergo the fragrance starts kicking in.

How does your car smell-ambipur_carlocation_2.jpg

How does your car smell-ambipur_carlocation_3.jpg

How does your car smell-ambipur_carlocation_4.jpg

The fragrance lasts easily for about 110 to 120 days.
I do not discard the refill as soon as the scent is empty.
Rather keep it until the empty refill stops emitting the fragrance after a few more days
vishnu-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 13:06   #507
BHPian

I purchased this Dr.Marcus Senso Deluxe Ocean fragrance. The bottle looks really good and in my experience, the fragrance lasts about 2 months. Got this online. The fragrance isn't too strong though. You won't be hit with a blast of fragrance as soon as you open the door, but once seated, it's a soothing and calming scent.

Name:  DrMarcus_Zoom.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  137.3 KB

Regards,
ArvindYoga
Arvindyoga is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 21:58   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvindyoga View Post
I purchased this Dr.Marcus Senso Deluxe Ocean fragrance. The bottle looks really good and in my experience, the fragrance lasts about 2 months. Got this online. The fragrance isn't too strong though. You won't be hit with a blast of fragrance as soon as you open the door, but once seated, it's a soothing and calming scent.

Attachment 1260993

Regards,
ArvindYoga
Its a lovely, soothing & rich fragrance..I also liked the 'Green Apple' fragrance of the same product. Its tangy and different !
ashm99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 23:01   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvindyoga View Post
Regards,
ArvindYoga
Senso Deluxe Ocean is one of the my all time fav, been using it for almost 3 years. Recently shifted to Areon KEN Black, but not much impressed with it. Will again shift back to Senso.
agspins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 21:13   #510

I've been trying to obtain My Shaldan gel recently without success. Here in Baner, Pune, they appear to be stocking just the Areon wish gel. Any pointers where I can get it in the vicinity of Baner, Pune or in Mulund, Mumbai?
b_naresh is offline   Reply With Quote