Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 14th November 2014, 22:58   #526
BHPian

Default Re: How does your car smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Guys, i bought a beautiful 2012 pre-owned Fortuner from a person who was apparently very fond ofhis car and ...... Attar (really really strong perfume).

The car smells like a perfume shop from his hideous choice in fragrances and the fact that the carpet and headliner have seemed to absorb the strange and horrible strong bouquet of horrid smelling and strong flowery nonsense.

I tried the vinegar test and also drove with coal in various parts of the car for a while to absorb the stench but its still around. Last i drove to Lonavala in this and had to travel all the way with the windows rolled down for fear of having an asthma attack being strongly allergic to overpowering smell. The wife, children and now even my dog refuses to sit in it.

Please tell me of a foolproof way of getting this smell neutered 100%.
I was thinking of a steam clean job but will it help? Im really desperate!!
3M's Germclean Interior treatment may help you. Also Meguairs De-odourizer.
Jag4 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 00:00   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
I've been trying to obtain My Shaldan gel recently without success. Here in Baner, Pune, they appear to be stocking just the Areon wish gel. Any pointers where I can get it in the vicinity of Baner, Pune or in Mulund, Mumbai?
check at Carcupid @ Pashan or Pimple saudagar you will get it 110%
i used to buy it from reliance but now they have closed their car section.
me@fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 10:51   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Guys, i bought a beautiful 2012 pre-owned Fortuner from a person who was apparently very fond ofhis car and ...... Attar (really really strong perfume).

The car smells like a perfume shop from his hideous choice in fragrances and the fact that the carpet and headliner have seemed to absorb the strange and horrible strong bouquet of horrid smelling and strong flowery nonsense.

I tried the vinegar test and also drove with coal in various parts of the car for a while to absorb the stench but its still around. Last i drove to Lonavala in this and had to travel all the way with the windows rolled down for fear of having an asthma attack being strongly allergic to overpowering smell. The wife, children and now even my dog refuses to sit in it.

Please tell me of a foolproof way of getting this smell neutered 100%.
I was thinking of a steam clean job but will it help? Im really desperate!!
First bet - Megs Odor Eliminator. If it doesn't work, Carpro SO2 Pure - really, really good (and of course, expensive).
d_himan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 15:29   #529
BHPian

Those fond of Little Trees (i'm using them for 15 years), try Wild Cherry.

http://www.car-freshner.com/fragranc...id=Wild-Cherry

"The sweet and tart fragrance of a bowl of juicy cherries.."
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 21:15   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarkaDelhiWala View Post
Those fond of Little Trees (i'm using them for 15 years)
15 years? 'Little Trees' users like me could definitely use a tip or two form such a long-term customer. Could you shed some light on :

- The usage pattern (whether or not you remove the plastic cover fully)
- Life of a single tree under normal conditions
- Tips to maximize effectiveness and life
- Finally of course, the best flavours
RiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 21:42   #531
BHPian

i think that ambi pur and aer like products, which are to be put on the AC vents don't work much. Also they don't last as much as the company claims they will. Hence my choice is the canned air freshners. I know they use one of the bottle holder slots, but its better than the scratches around the nicely finished AC vent borders.
allien936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014, 16:41   #532
Senior - BHPian

Tried Ambipure's New Zealand Springs perfume, the fragrance is really nice but does not last as much as the company claims i.e. 30 days, the container gets over by 20 days.

Name:  5140vlOierL._SY300_.jpg
Views: 2841
Size:  15.3 KB

Now using Areon's Black Crystal, this is really good but for some people it may be tad strong, uses jute to contain the fragrance.

Name:  Ken135479942950c09945efb41.png
Views: 2808
Size:  94.1 KB

Last edited by motomaverick : 17th November 2014 at 16:43.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014, 20:51   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
15 years? 'Little Trees' users like me could definitely use a tip or two form such a long-term customer. Could you shed some light on :

- The usage pattern (whether or not you remove the plastic cover fully)
- Life of a single tree under normal conditions
- Tips to maximize effectiveness and life
- Finally of course, the best flavours
- It has to be pulled out gradually from its plastic cover over days. Say about half cm every week - depending upon how strong is fragrance and use with open car windows.
- Last from a month to two. I drive with closed windows always.
- Nice fragrances can't stay long as they are not compatible with fragrance fixatives. Hence i guess two months for a Rs.70/- item is fair.
- Vanillaroma has been all time favorite, followed by Royal Pine, Wild Cherry, Forest Fresh, Lavender and Vanilla Pride. Jasmine is worst.

From Peabody Fossil Hunters site
....The gnats here are vicious—they go for the eyes and ears in particular. After a few days of swatting and cursing at them, we learned that car fresheners repel them better than any commercial bug repellent. The vanilla and “new car” scents work the best. They’ve been dangling off our hats ever since.
Attached Images

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 18th November 2014 at 21:07. Reason: spell check
DwarkaDelhiWala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 17:48   #534
BHPian

I used My Shaldan lime. Ordered it from shopclues. The smell wore off after a week! The online merchant is to be blamed. They sent it in a flimsy wrapping and the can got bent and its lid opened en route, losing much of its smell. The courier guy asked me if it was some fruit I ordered as it smelled all lemon-y! Decided not to buy car perfumes from online stores again.

Anyway, the fruity smell of my shaldan is definitely good to put unwanted odours at bay. Last weekend, I bought my shaldan (squash) from Glix and the results have been good so far.

Last edited by wishnipon : 27th January 2015 at 17:53.
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 08:27   #535
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: How does your car smell

I have been a regular user of My Shaldon car perfumes and they last easily for a couple of months. I usually prefer either Lime or Squash fragrances as they are light and not nauseating. Over the time I realized that half opening the can cover makes the perfume last longer than the normal open can.

One question - Is it safe to place naphthalene balls in plastic zip lock in the car boot?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 19:23   #536
BHPian

Which is the cheapest online place to get Little Trees fresheners? Flipkart has them for about 80Rs. per piece. Any other cheaper online store ?
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015, 21:09   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Which is the cheapest online place to get Little Trees fresheners? Flipkart has them for about 80Rs. per piece. Any other cheaper online store ?

Try snapdeal. Marginally better price of Rs 374 for a pack of 6 --> http://m.snapdeal.com/product/little...dium=101626894
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 02:06   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
Last weekend, I bought my shaldan (squash) from Glix and the results have been good so far.
I thought I'd update my experience on squash flavor of my shaldan.

Unlike the lime which was more like a blast of fruity smell hitting you as you entered the car, the squash version is milder. I think I will stick to it. The Glix guys have fitted it with adhesive tapes on the carpet below the passenger seat and as advised by @ghodlur I have kept the lid half open to make it last longer.
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 07:01   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Try snapdeal. Marginally better price of Rs 374 for a pack of 6 --> http://m.snapdeal.com/product/little...dium=101626894
I saw that, but am not a fan if some of the floral fragrances. The other combos are a bit more expensive.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 19:06   #540
BHPian

I just got this glade air freshener. Is it safe to use inside the car?
I read earlier that these things can spoil the AC somehow, If that's true then I'll just chuck it some where else.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1423920974.438002.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  287.2 KB
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote