Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 14th February 2015, 19:10   #541
BHPian

Default Re: How does your car smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Guys, i bought a beautiful 2012 pre-owned Fortuner from a person who was apparently very fond ofhis car and ...... Attar (really really strong perfume).

The car smells like a perfume shop from his hideous choice in fragrances and the fact that the carpet and headliner have seemed to absorb the strange and horrible strong bouquet of horrid smelling and strong flowery nonsense.

I tried the vinegar test and also drove with coal in various parts of the car for a while to absorb the stench but its still around. Last i drove to Lonavala in this and had to travel all the way with the windows rolled down for fear of having an asthma attack being strongly allergic to overpowering smell. The wife, children and now even my dog refuses to sit in it.

Please tell me of a foolproof way of getting this smell neutered 100%.
I was thinking of a steam clean job but will it help? Im really desperate!!
I don't use any car perfume in my car, I leave a lemon the cabin and repace it when it dries it generally takes care of all the odours. I have heard orange peel will also do a superb job.
ssingri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 21:36   #542
Senior - BHPian

My car certainly doesnt smell of some cheap plastic or chemicals(perfumes), clean the interior regularly and that's it car feels pleasant. both me and my wife are allergic to strong scents, especailly to the smell which comes off the plastic/fabric of the interior. thankfully after good 3years my truck's interior smell bad...

frankly, i realized this aspect only after i sat in my friends "i10", within few minutes of the drive i felt like throwing-up, the scent/smell was so strong. strangely i noticed the same in a brand new "i10" aswel.

I think people should consider this point before making the decision.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 23:32   #543
BHPian

True. I dust out the noodle mats everyday. Sometimes even twice a day. And the car is vacuumed whenever it's dirty. The full interior Is cleaned every week. All this makes the car "fresh". Honestly, the glade thing is my first air freshener, and in the last couple of hours I've had it, I don't find it beneficial. At least in my car.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 09:32   #544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Opted for another freshener this time - Dr. Marcus - Senso Deluxe
The Marcus Senso dried up leaving a paperweight (container is made of glass):

Name:  IMG_9938.JPG
Views: 3406
Size:  81.6 KB

so picked up a Godrej Aer Clickís musk from a local supermarket. It had a woody note and the cabin smelled quite nice when the AC was turned on but the device which plugs itself to the carís AC vents has a shoddy build quality and the lower part which opens, doesnít hold itself firmly to the body when closed:

Name:  Aer Twist.jpg
Views: 3430
Size:  111.4 KB

Unlike the Ambipur device which has a nice build quality and the bottle is threaded to the body. This one lasted for perhaps 2 months or so and dried up.

After that, I picked up a Glade Clean Linen gel since it was cheap - 60 bucks or so IIRC. And threw it away on the second day! The cabin started smelling exactly like rotten bananas - the kind of smell that bananas would discharge when it has ripened and begins decomposing when left in the open. I am not kidding! I am not sure how the manufacturer found the smell of clean linen similar to that of this! And this was a new can and the expiry date wasnít over. So avoid this one come what may. The can looks like this:

Name:  gladegelcleanlinenairfreshenerv70g.png
Views: 3426
Size:  96.6 KB

I had to use some dry charcoal in a pouch for a few days to get rid of this smell from the cabin.

Picked up the Areon Wish this time and has been in the car since the last 3 days. It has a nice musky note.

Made in Bulgaria says the import sticker and the outer packaging:

How does your car smell-wp_20150323_20_26_06_pro.jpg

How does your car smell-wp_20150323_20_26_31_pro.jpg

The best part of the Areonís packaging is, thereís a small strip at the top that has the sample fragrance embedded in it just like those expensive magazines with scent strips:

How does your car smell-wp_20150323_20_25_53_pro.jpg

so you can get an idea of the fragrance that the gel inside would emanate. The fragrance is a bit too strong though.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 17:30   #545
BHPian

I have a (jute) car sachet (you can see it hanging below the IRVM) and from time to time I put a few drops of essential oils and my car smells great.
Attached Thumbnails
How does your car smell-car3.jpg  

aurelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2015, 23:52   #546
BHPian

I purchased the My Shaldan lime fragrance a month ago. The fragrance lasts long, but I get a headache and a suffocating feeling every time I drive for more than an hour, so it will be retired soon .

I prefer a subtle and fresh fragrance, not a fruity one. Any suggestions?
Aaron:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2015, 22:56   #547

I have the same question in mind. Thought i'd explore Aeron this time just to experiment a new fragrance. But i'm confused if i should buy a black or red or gold or silver or blue. There are too many choices and i'm unable to figure. I'm looking for a slightly premium odour. Any suggestions from people who have tried Aeron?
RajshreeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 17:55   #548

Dear Friends

I was thinking of buying an Aeroguard Car Air Purifier by Eureka Forbes . They claim that it will remove the odours inside the car. Has anybody used this equipment ? Would like to get some feedback on the veracity of their claim before buying it.
kjrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 15:53   #549

My friend had got Clair De Lune Ambiance from Canada and I have been using it for past 4 months. The smell is nice and lasts really long. Plus it is mild and not as harsh as ambi pur - so the folks wont complain of headaches. Even after 4 months, I can hold it near the AC vents for a few seconds and the car smells of mild perfume.

Unfortunately I couldn't find it in India.

This is what it looks like - It fits in the AC vents
Attached Thumbnails
How does your car smell-clair-de-lune.jpg  

akshay81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 23:20   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have the black crystal and it is a jute based mild perfume.
I am quite pleased with My shaldan but thinking of changing to something else. How does the Areon Ken black crystal exactly smell?
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 13:31   #551
BHPian

Nothing better than My Shaldan !! Tried almost all of them - godrej, ambi pur, areon, glade...but eventually came back to My Shaldan..the best part about it is that it feels natural and not synthetic !
ashm99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 18:11   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
I am quite pleased with My shaldan but thinking of changing to something else. How does the Areon Ken black crystal exactly smell?
It's very mild and you can smell it when you enter the car. It's not "in your nose" so to speak - you can't smell it all the time.

I recently tried Godrej Aer Twist in the cool blue variant and loved it. Lasted quite a long time since I rarely lower the windows on my car. I just picked up the after smoke musk variant and it is very mild. Can barely smell it but it's only a couple of days since i bought it and I have not driven much either so hoping it is as good as the cool blue one.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 20:18   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Marcus Senso dried up leaving a paperweight (container is made of glass):

Picked up the Areon Wish this time and has been in the car since the last 3 days. It has a nice musky note.

Made in Bulgaria says the import sticker and the outer packaging:

Attachment 1353332

Attachment 1353333

The best part of the Areonís packaging is, thereís a small strip at the top that has the sample fragrance embedded in it just like those expensive magazines with scent strips:

Attachment 1353331

so you can get an idea of the fragrance that the gel inside would emanate. The fragrance is a bit too strong though.
Hi Gannu, what is the color of areon wish gel? The tin I got has white colored (looks like candle wax) wax.
pravint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 20:22   #554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
Hi Gannu, what is the color of areon wish gel? The tin I got has white colored (looks like candle wax) wax.
Man, honestly I don't recall right now. I've switched to Areon Ken Vanilla sometime back (PayTM had an offer going on at that time and it was cheaper by 40% off the MRP) and I've dumped it in the glovebox since it was emanating too much of fragrance!

Please post a pic of the contents inside the can. From my memory, I'll confirm and let you know.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2015 at 20:24.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 20:52   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
Mine was something between a gel and wax, but with yellowish colour.
RiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote