Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 7th April 2005, 16:32   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia
The advantages in an LPG kit (not CNG) are many.

The only disadvantage i think is the lingering smell of the gas in case of a santro.

Dunno myself.. but ppl having the same can give proper gyaan on this issue i guess

P.S. : Me plannin for a WagonR wid LPG too.. refer what car thread for the posts.
if you are smelling of the gas inside the car .. then it means only one thing ... that LPG is leaking .. some pipe has not been fixed properly ....
My car has absolutely NO smell at all ... Lot of people are surprised to know that my car is LPG as they find absolutely NO differenci in running and NO smell at all ...
You can definitely Go ahead and Buy the Wagon R ...
LPG has future in India and the technology is vastly improving ...
haryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 16:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91
welll...thats gonna make an even bigger explosion than the regular one.
haryan...i NEVER said that you got it wrong....please read the posts earlier to yours.
he has an lpg kit for 10k...also jesal is scared to smoke in his car!!!
dint mean to offend you so much!!!
Iceman ... you are funny .... That tank is not going to explode .. that is certified tank by ARAI and Ministry of explosives ....

I was not at all offended .... please do not think that way ...
next time i am in Banglaore i will definitely call you and give you a ride in my car .. then you will appreciate the LPG drive ....
Old 7th April 2005, 17:00   #18
BHPian

Haryan, What happens in the case of a rear end accident? Has the LPG tank been crash tested?

Also do you need to tweak the suspension to handle the tank weight?
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 17:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURPRISE
I was told that liquid gas is less flammable that petrol ( I do not have any knowledge on this)
Well definetely less flammable but can still blow
it will run down the running costs especially in the city...
also will take the fun out of driving (not the normal pep)
not available everywhere only select places on Highways
e.g we had a problem getting LPG when we went to Goa

so......

cheers
always_dui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 18:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Haryan, What happens in the case of a rear end accident? Has the LPG tank been crash tested?

Also do you need to tweak the suspension to handle the tank weight?
that tank has been crash tested and burn tested also ...
we get a certificate from ARAI n Ministry of Explosives regarding that tests ..
these tanks have serial no.s on them and they are printes on a plate which is welded to the tank itself after the tests ...
that tank weighs only 20 kilos ... so need of a Suspension tweaks ... Full tank it must be weighing around 45 to 50 kilos ...
Old 7th April 2005, 18:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to everyone who had brought up many questions & theryby bringing more clarity. Iam 100% satisfied with this LPG & will pass on 100% recommendation.

Thanks GUYS
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 04:24   #22
BHPian

Cool

I still say no no on a santro dude. After all this I still say A BIG NNO
Why its not done by manufacturer. we have lot of gas conversions made by manufacturers itself, I will choose those and I dont want to argue with any one on this. I think straight no frills what I learnt in US. So again A big NO FOR AFTER MARKET KITS FOR GAS. WHY?? It is not tested on a specific car manufacturer who knows the best abt the car and not you or me. I will say go for a lpg maruti van or a ceilo which is done by company itself not after market kits. and with kids never!!!!!!!!!safety first what we ignore in india with few gains on moolah if they actually exist. why do you want to buy a car if you cant afford.. go for a bike or a 800 or diesel --this is what I say to every indian.

Give you an example: last week some bike guy hit my zen from the front, very very low speed may be 20, it just blew my condensor off, nothing happened to the bumper not even a scratch,. it was a aluminium pipe which broke on impact, and the whole place is filled with freon like thick smoke. Imagine with GAS If feed line broke, it will be disaster not for you only but for people around you. dont loose lifes at cost of what ever calculation (money-negligible) you save.

PEACE, ETHICS AND CARE ABT OTHERS AT COST OF MONEY --REASON WHY GEORGE W BUSH WAS ELECTED IN A ROW. and this is what Tbhpians are abt SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!remaining next

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 8th April 2005 at 04:28.
Vulken Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 10:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Why its not done by manufacturer. we have lot of gas conversions made by manufacturers itself, I will choose those and I dont want to argue with any one on this.
Dude.. in case of small cars like santro n likes, probab 90% of ppl buying them are not interested, thats the profile of the target group.
Also there is a sacrifice of boot space is an issue. So ppl like haryan and me who have no problem wid it go for it.

it doesnt make a diff if its a std fitment or after market ones , if they are certified ones.

also, in case the Omni, the target group itself in in-city commercial transport, hence its avail as an option from the manufacturer.

Quote:
PEACE, ETHICS AND CARE ABT OTHERS AT COST OF MONEY --REASON WHY GEORGE W BUSH WAS ELECTED IN A ROW.
Yes , safety is the foremost thing... no doubt.. but its not as risky as you have portrayed it dude

Esp whn u have cylinders which are crash tested n all.

N pls.. m ready to accept all ur opinions.. but George Bush ko kidhar beech mein leke aa raha hai
Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 12:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia

but George Bush ko kidhar beech mein leke aa raha hai
maybe because the discussion is on (lp)GAS?.. lol
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 12:42   #25
BHPian

Talking

I was refering bush saab because We have honesty gauranteed for next 5 years some where in the world which is very rare in 3rd world countries.You dont know american they will go to any level for truth. damnnn. they questioned the secretary of state and green span lke criminals which you cant find here.

and I want to change 1% in the remaining 10% you say we have scuderia.

LPG to abhi social awareness aur responsibility bangaye

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 8th April 2005 at 13:01.
Old 21st April 2005, 14:19   #26
dev
BHPian

For a Ford Ikon 1.3, what type of LPG kit I need to go?
And I heared, there will something fitted at the ECM for this? Is it true?
thanks
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 15:10   #27
F50
Senior - BHPian

I recently drove a '94 Omni which was fitted with LPG Kit and I must say it is really good ok i agree it wont be that fun to drive but Rs. 21 per litre and it came from Surat and only Rs. 320 worth of gas was filled and it did travel somewhere around 315kms hell its cost saving and still the car was just in reserve.
And it was doing a healthy 90-95kmph on highway with top speed written 120 on speedo. So I dont think top speed is affected.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 15:13   #28
BHPian

21 rs for gas , in hyderabad it is 29?? And my cousin's santro vibrates if it runs on petrol but smooth when in gas???
Old 21st April 2005, 15:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

LPG burning temp higher than Petrol = more heat in the engine, increased wear and chances of water jacket packings wearing of faster (if u closely observe these engines heat up faster to petrol)
petrol mixture is supposed to contribute to cooling of pistons.

net affect 1 lakh engine might land up with 80k (kms).

short term effects are nill, apart from lesser power (theoratically should give more coz of better cumbostion), maybe they keep it lean for $$$ or in this case INR.

Sluggish, and lil vibration at low revs.

Now the question is, is there any mods done on engines coming from factory fitted with CNG and LPG kits..

CNG again is lighter than air and hence will evaporate off so that u can smoke peacfully inside the car.

LPG is heaveir and will settle down at bottom if leaks and hence be careful when u light those joints

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st April 2005 at 16:01.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 20:28   #30
F50
Senior - BHPian

Ok may be Haryan will help me here, i wanted to know while driving on ghats is it difficult for gas equipped cars to climb.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote