Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 20th November 2008, 13:51   #16
BHPian

Cool

Raj is very much specific in the calculation and he is best for Suzuki or any car for that matter. I have personally seen his works on some of the Suzuki cars and waiting to see some on Honda . Raj will ask Shabbir to make the headers so you can tell them your requirement and they will build for your need and also they will suggest you which is best.

@Sankar- My suggestion for your friend is to get his car to Bangalore and get the headers installed, the reason is they need to bend the pipes accordingly. When I upgraded to the 2 exhaust pipe they checked each and every curve and made sure its perfectly installed. If you just get the headers done and if some person who has lack of knowledge installs it and if its not upto the expectation then there would be a bad remakes for the person who did the headers and not for the person who installed it.
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

Continuing in the same thread rather than starting a new thread.

Since there seem to be quite few experts here on the subject of FFE, I am listing my set of requirements that I want from the FFE I might do to my Gypsy
  • Need the FFE ONLY for low end to mid range and not the mid/high or high range (the lower the better). The reason is that I use the Gypsy only for off-roading and not high speed driving.
  • The FFE should have a +ve effect on the low end torque. It should in no way decrease the already less low end torque in the Gypsy
  • Need the FFE to be silent. (should not be at all loud).
  • The sound of the FFE should be muted with a rumbling/bassy effect and should not a coarse sound (Sorry, that's the best I can explain 'sound' ;-))
  • The FFE should NOT have any -ve effect on the FE of the Gypsy.
Now, what do you suggest. Where, how much.. what materials to use? CI, SS etc etc..

PS: I have heard that over time the FFE becomes louder and louder and it needs to be retuned (whatever that means). Is that true?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th November 2008 at 14:19.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
@Sankar- My suggestion for your friend is to get his car to Bangalore and get the headers installed, the reason is they need to bend the pipes accordingly. When I upgraded to the 2 exhaust pipe they checked each and every curve and made sure its perfectly installed. If you just get the headers done and if some person who has lack of knowledge installs it and if its not upto the expectation then there would be a bad remakes for the person who did the headers and not for the person who installed it.
Dude if you dint know we have gotten a header and end can made in bangy from Raj and sent them to Pune. All he needs is a car to fabricate them.

Quote:
If you just get the headers done and if some person who has lack of knowledge installs it and if its not upto the expectation then there would be a bad remakes for the person who did the headers and not for the person who installed it.
Secondly this is something I have never heard of atleast having gotten so many friends car done up from Raj. I have only witnessed issues with the way the end can sounds.

Also regarding your issue, I think it was more to do with the straight pipe which Raj usually doesnt bother about. He retains the stock straight pipe in most of the installs.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

@ Khan - My views below at your requirements
1. Definitely possible to do. Just need to use correct diameter pipe and length calculation has to be accurate.
2. Same as first point.
3. For silent sound continue using stock muffler. Sound will remain as it is right now.
4. Same as third point.
5. This is a myth. The only reason mileage goes down is because people rev the engine more to hear the growl.

Material to be used to totally dependent on your budget. Mild steel will be the cheapest. SS will be very expensive and getting one made in cast iron will be a painful process and also will work out very expensive.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:52   #20
BHPian

i have a small confusion , i am running my baleno on LPG i am now very much tempted to gettin an FFE done for my car,is it worth it ? gurus enlighten me.
nithz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 14:57   #21
BHPian

Thanks all... these were really very valuable inputs.. Will mostly get it done next week... @Riju: will give u a call b4 going..
zerocritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 15:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
... Just need to use correct diameter pipe and length calculation has to be accurate.
Thanks Vikram. I have other questions as well on this subject for all FFE experts/users:

Most of the threads on FFE use the term 4x2x1 or 4x1: My research on FFE for off-roading indicates that these are good for cars meant for racing and people desiring top end performance (> 5000 rpm).

Lots of websites suggest that "Tri-Y" design headers are best suited for 'off-road' scenarios. It mentiones that a Tri-Y is basically a 4x2x2x1 concept.

Name:  triy0000.jpg
Views: 4305
Size:  11.5 KB

Source: Tri_y high performance exhaust header designs for automotive and marine engines.

Here are some links:

What is Tri_Y

Tri-Y vs 4

Is this same as 4x2x1 or something different? Is it is different, then can someone here fabricate it and keep all the length calculations spot on?

These are the kind of questions that have kept me away from a FFE for my Gypsy. I don't want a FFE for the sake of it and would like a FFE that would actually suit my needs of off-roading.

Cheers,
Old 20th November 2008, 15:39   #23
BHPian

Hi,

It is none other than me who requested for an FFE made at Raj, Blore (mentioned by Sankar). But due to some unexpected reasons, I am dropping the idea to mod my car. Thanks guys for your efforts.

@zero - please send your feedback and pics after install.

Last edited by redfire : 20th November 2008 at 15:40.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 15:44   #24
BHPian

Hey redfire... glad to see you here... Will surely post the pics, Video after its done...
zerocritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 16:02   #25
BHPian

i was unable to find the contact info of raj ? can anyone post it here ?
frown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 16:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
He quoted 8.5k for a complete FFE (4x2x1) and would take one complete day. Any comments on the quoted price guys??
Hey! You are getting it done for a real good price. I ended up paying 9.5k for the FFE. Have no regrets about it.

You might wanna see this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-my-swift.html (Headers for my Swift.)
swift8847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 16:44   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by frown View Post
i was unable to find the contact info of raj ? can anyone post it here ?
Personal contact details are normally kept off from a public forum. Please read the rules and announcements section.

You can PM Zerocritical or Swift8847 for that though.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 16:58   #28
Team-BHP Support

If you go to the tuners section on team-bhp you will see Raj's listing and the garage number:

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Modifiers Database
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 20:21   #29
Team-BHP Support

***bumping*** this thread again. Any one got answers to questions I have asked in post#22?
Old 21st November 2008, 20:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Lots of websites suggest that "Tri-Y" design headers are best suited for 'off-road' scenarios. It mentiones that a Tri-Y is basically a 4x2x2x1 concept.
As far back as I can remember Raj had been the king of Gypsys during the group A days and I am sure there still are people clinging on to his headers... Suggest that you speak to him.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote