Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 8th December 2008, 11:55   #16
BHPian

Thumbs up

That is a neat mod. Hats off to you for maintaining it for 7 years in the same shape.
TomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 11:59   #17
BHPian

Though it is not so impressive, but lot of hard work done for the car, and dont forget that this job was done almost 8 yrs back. Also, I have sold the car so dont have the latest snap, but it still looks the same. Shall look for a snap with the soft top and add it for you to see.
Subodh Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 12:11   #18
BHPian

This is by far the best looking Maruti 1000 convertible. We have had a lot of designers touch the 1000 and convert it into either 2 seater hard top or a sick looking manual soft top. For example the Maruti Swift convertible designed by some local guy in mumbai was offered to customers for a hefty amount yet looked completely out of place. All i have to say is GOOD JOB
nikibusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 12:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

A very neatly carried out & finished job. How is the car now ?
Can we have pictures of it with the top pulled up ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 12:30   #20
Team-BHP Support

Why that front quarter glass there? Is it there for any support for roof to sit?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 18:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Nath View Post
Though it is not so impressive, but lot of hard work done for the car, and dont forget that this job was done almost 8 yrs back. Also, I have sold the car so dont have the latest snap, but it still looks the same. Shall look for a snap with the soft top and add it for you to see.
pls find the photo with the hood for the same car. hope u guys like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 1000 modified to a convertible 2 door with manual soft top-1000covered.jpg  

Old 11th December 2008, 12:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Nath View Post
pls find the photo with the hood for the same car. hope u guys like it.
I think a white hood soft top would have looked better. give the feel of a classic!
krazydriver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 12:24   #23
BHPian

Honestly the car looks better with the top removed. Also did you do this job in a local garage in Ahmedabad?
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 23:11   #24
BHPian

yes, this conversion was done entirely in my workshop in Ahmedabad. The main idea was to not make it user friendly and did not want to make it expensive. It was my planing to reinforcing chassis to designing foldable soft top and that to collapse flat in boot.
Old 12th December 2008, 11:09   #25
BHPian

hello friends. This project was done eight years back. You would know when you cut the top chassis buckles in monoque body. thus lot had to be done to to reiforce chassis to take length,wideth,tortional twist, stiffness for shock absorber points, reinforce door pillars to take extra load of weight and single point support of doors and many more. things are easilly said then done. offcourse i know many more things I could do and can do. Anyway this was just younger readers to know. Thanks Subodh Nath
Old 12th December 2008, 16:06   #26
BHPian

hey suboth.... good work.... u given a new look for maruti 1000.
i m thinking bout doing the same with a HM contessa.... i guess tht car will active more classy and western looks.... did anyone did with contessa.. ? if yes do let me know ur reviews.... i guess i will get a contessa for a cheaper price so i wont loose more money messing with it....
pls let me know ur reviews... rio
smart2smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 02:44   #27
BHPian

@subodh: done 8 years ago? wow. well that changes my perception of things. i think it's a stupendous job considering the resources and knowledge publicly available then. really great job. are you working on any more similar projects? you'll get a lot to play around with these days
vishalpipraiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 00:52   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart2smart View Post
i m thinking bout doing the same with a HM contessa.... i guess tht car will active more classy and western looks.... did anyone did with contessa.. ? if yes do let me know ur reviews.... i guess i will get a contessa for a cheaper price so i wont loose more money messing with it....
pls let me know ur reviews... rio
I have seen quite a few contessas with their tops chopped off in Hyderabad. You can ask kkr2k2, zappo, staish_appasani, vnabhi, mobike008, suren and others from the Hyedrabad TBhp gang about them, but IMHO they did not look good at all.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 16:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Subodh - good attempt - and as everyone said, it looks good with the roof down !

any other modifications done by you ? please share the pictures
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 18:20   #30
BHPian

The windshield is too high which is making it look awkward, rest all is cool. I wonder how that can be shortened since it'll mean replacing it with another one and cutting the supporting A pillars a bit. The A pillar angle is to high, which makes it look like that.

Rest all great. Recondition a Standard herald convertible instead. Will look better and might be cheaper too. Seriously.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote