Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 16th December 2008, 16:11   #1
Default Fiat Palio 1.2 Petrol - Running in a reconditioned engine

I have been using a Fiat Palio 1.2 Petrol for the last 6.5 years and recently got an Engine Overhaul done at 65,000 kms. The engine had to be opened up due to coolant leakage which traced back to a worn-out head gasket. Only major components replaced were the Piston rings and the engine head had to be MACHINED to mate the respective surfaces.

Of course gaskets were replaced as well. I was told no boring was done on the engine and further pistons, valves and other components were in good order. No oil was detected in the spark plug chamber and no evidences of mixing of the oil and coolant lines.

I've been given a very broad instruction of not to race the engine, keep it below 50kmph and sparingly use the aircon for the first 1000 kms.

My questions are :-

1. What is the recommended procedure for running-in a reconditioned engine ?

2. What is the optimum period to stretch this first 1000 kms ? Should it be 1 month or 2 months ?

3. What symptoms do I look out for, during this running-in period.

rpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 14:48   #2

Hi rpk, Just a bit of a deviation here. How much did this process cost?

My ride too is having bits and pieces of the above process done. Just wanted to compare.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote