Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 24th April 2009, 07:30   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Yes seriously! The car can put out a lot more than that I can guarantee you, but it won't be reliable, especially not in India. But it's been done many times over, and this magical figure has been surpassed many times over! You're from NJ dude don't tell me you've never seen an E30 with an M20 rocketing off at a track?!? Oh and I think you need to get your facts straight, the M50 and 62 are DOHC engines, M20s are SOHC! so yeah the 24v engines are more efficient and hence were brought in. Sure you'd like to argue against double vanos (Vtec) too! Or why not argue against OBD2 while you're at it!

He wants only 300, it's nothing. Have seen M20s push 2 bar boost as daily drivers on stock internals. It ran almost 2 years that's how tough they are!

Dude AM why do you wanna put the M20b20 back in? I thought the B25 had new internals et al...well if that's the case it's best to get the B25 in there for now, fully built, and run it in for like 3-5K. Then go FI. And don't worry, that figure is easy...you'll have a lot of fun, but the E34 is a pretty big car to drift with so make sure she handles the power!
I guess you missed the sarcasm re the M50/62. My Spec e30 race car is a stock M20B25. When people want more power in their e30s here, they swap M5X or S5X motors in. Stroking/boosting M20s just doesn't fit the cost/reliability equation. The M20B27 is more suitable for turbo in any case. I suggest anyone trying this to go research on e30tech.com and r3vlimited.com. There's plenty of good info there that will prevent costly errors.
Old 24th April 2009, 13:24   #272
BANNED

Thanks for the encouraging words....but i guess too deep into it to back out so would be going ahead with this engine only instead of getting a m50 or S..

AM
Old 25th April 2009, 01:49   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivam View Post
Since you are planning to use Megasquirt, you might want to take a look at this. I found this when looking for performance mods to my 535i.
Is yours a V8 or six.
Old 25th April 2009, 14:34   #274

Its an inline six. The biggest that they used to make back then. The next step forward from the 535i was the 540i with the V8. That was an unreliable engine with a huge amount of cylinder wear problems. The M30 engine in the 535i can be traced back to, IIRC, the 635 of the 80s. Sturdy as a rock. It even has a cam chain instead of replaceable cam belts like the 2 and the 2.5 litre engines. As long as oil changes are done properly with occasional valve adjustments, it will run over 2 lakh Kms. Mine has done 1.4 lakhs and it is still strong.
Old 25th April 2009, 20:41   #275
Senior - BHPian

@ Accordmasters

What is the update ???

Cheers
Old 25th April 2009, 20:50   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM
i know im going to face problems because it is the first bmw in india that anyone has dared to go FI with
Oh please! Maybe Delhi is a different India.
But, I have seen enough and more supercharged/turbocharged Beemers here, down south.
Old 25th April 2009, 21:08   #277
BANNED

@ ricky - sir got my engine and other stuff checked by a professional guy so that i could order the right parts required for the build . Would be ordering stuff soon enough now and am going for a turbo setup.
well as far as i knew this is the first FI beemer in india didn't know about any other beemers which were tuned up in india got any links or pics?????? for inspiration maybe
cheers
AM
Old 26th April 2009, 10:27   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Oh please! Maybe Delhi is a different India.
But, I have seen enough and more supercharged/turbocharged Beemers here, down south.

In which case I guess you could provide some useful inputs. How they are running, what are the problems likely to be faced, so on & so forth. I am sure your help would be appreciated..

@ accordmasters

Nice to know that the car has been assessed by a professional. I would still reccomend putting the car back together in NA form & running it for atleast 1000 + kms & only then think of the FI route.

I know it is your passion to have a fast car & a TC'd one at that, maybe the "first in North India"

Nitrous may be kind enough to give some useful feedback / suggestions, as he has seen "many" supercharged / turbocharged BMW's down South. That may be a very useful input if is able to spare time & give you suggestions.

Cheers
Old 26th April 2009, 10:57   #279
BANNED

@ ricky - "running it for atleast 1000 + kms" sir according to plan the car would be run a 1000kms before the turbo goes in i.e it will have a run in period.
waiting for nitrous to inform about the FI BMW's in the south .
AM
Old 26th April 2009, 11:04   #280
BHPian

As far as I know, there was only one supercharged 330 done by Krupesh. The kit was from Germany, came with all the hardware, including the piggy back Ecu. Very straight forward plug n play stuff.
Old 26th April 2009, 11:59   #281
Senior - BHPian

^^I remember a 5 turbo. Black, i think. This was around last quarter of '08.
Old 26th April 2009, 13:49   #282
BHPian

@nitrous: just thought it was time to comment on your posts, the supercharged 330 is in coimbatore and the current owner is banging his head trying to fix it. (the car started misbehaving a couple of days after delivery)

then theres the case of the E46 M3 which another elderly gentleman of motorsport repute had and went the supercharging route. and fried the engine, to salvage the matter a new engine was got and installed and the car sold to a enthusiast in bombay.

so if you've seen tons of bmws supercharged & turbocharged then please also for the benifit of teambhp users post details of how the cars are/were doing.

lastly i personally am not a fan of turbo charging n/a bmws (which i have voiced to accord masters). but at the end of the day if accord masters wants to turbocharge then we should respect his idea/enthusiam, hypothetically speaking if he wants to run a supercharger and turbocharger together (i belive in bangalore there is somthing along the same line cooking ) then again one should respect what the owner wants to do end of the day its his car, his money, yes we can all put our thoughts across to him but not mock him !!
Old 26th April 2009, 13:54   #283
BHPian

and you sure the 'black 5' wasnt a 525tds? .

peace.

phil
Old 26th April 2009, 14:20   #284
Senior - BHPian

Why can we not stick to NA instead of having "fried" engines for dinner ??? I am sure there are ways to make a NA car go fast - RELIABLE & FAST !

Cheers
Old 26th April 2009, 15:05   #285
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Cheque awaited !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Ricky, i'll be more than happy to refund you the money if you feel the porting job was not done. Since you have sold the car and we cant determine the work, please do expect a cheque coming over soon.

Also, you have been a great customer thats why we enjoyed working in each others company and i was always excited to do more stuff for you.

For the mivec yes we wasted a lot in waiting time first for the engine to arrive, and then for the refund. But please do tell me something honestly, at any given point of time during that transaction, did u ever feel and not tell me that i was at fault? I ordered it for you, i returned it for you, did i gain anything personally from it? Werent you personally in touch with the supplier to update both of us on the situation for the engine and for the refund. If any of these answers are a yes i will not add a word more.

Arush, the cheque is still awaited. Cash is even better though !!

Response awaited...
Closed Thread