Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 17th May 2011, 10:59   #1501
BHPian

Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Why not just get 70% film installed first and then if you are unhappy with it get a strip of darker film installed on top. What say?

Is it really possible? Can the second layer be peeled off safely leaving the original film intact - to "con" an RTO inspector?

Will adding another 70% film on top of existing 70% film reduce the VLT further or will it remain at 70%? By how much?

Put differently - a 60% film on top a 70% film will result in a VLT of ____? (fill in the blanks) (10 marks)

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 11:25   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Is it really possible? Can the second layer be peeled off safely leaving the original film intact - to "con" an RTO inspector?

Will adding another 70% film on top of existing 70% film reduce the VLT further YES or will it remain at 70%? By how much? answers below

Put differently - a 60% film on top a 70% film will result in a VLT of ____? (fill in the blanks) (10 marks)

--Ragul
70% of 70% is 49%
60% of 70% is 42%
simple really
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 11:28   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
70% of 70% is 49%
60% of 70% is 42%
simple really

If one Hanky takes 30 mins to dry in the sun, how much time will it take to dry 10 Hankies?

I thought this case applies here... guess not! The effect should be cumulative as you put it.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 17th May 2011 at 11:30.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 12:09   #1504
BHPian

In my opinion having two 70% film (on top of the other) is same as that of having one. As these films block only certain wavelengths, if the first film has blocked a bit of wavelength the second film will not be getting those wavelengths that it is supposed to block. Resulting in passing the light as it is.
saravananj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 17:50   #1505
BHPian

Ragul, I didnt mean that I wanted to cover the entire windscreen film with another layer of film. I meant getting just a 4-5 inch dark patch across the top to get rid of that noon glare and heat on my hands and the console. Obviously this patch would have gone over the 70% film.

Oh BTW I went for just the 70% film.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:34   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravananj View Post
In my opinion having two 70% film (on top of the other) is same as that of having one. As these films block only certain wavelengths, if the first film has blocked a bit of wavelength the second film will not be getting those wavelengths that it is supposed to block. Resulting in passing the light as it is.
Visible. Light. Transmission. A film with a VLT of 70% is absorbing 30% of visible light incident on it. Add another film with a VLT of 70% and it will absorb another 30% of the 70% transmitted by the first layer. The final result will be 49% of visible light transmitted to the inside. If you doubt this, just go to some auto accessory shop and put two sunfilm layers on top of each other and see the difference yourself.
ImmortalZ is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:00   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Visible. Light. Transmission. A film with a VLT of 70% is absorbing 30% of visible light incident on it. Add another film with a VLT of 70% and it will absorb another 30% of the 70% transmitted by the first layer. The final result will be 49% of visible light transmitted to the inside. If you doubt this, just go to some auto accessory shop and put two sunfilm layers on top of each other and see the difference yourself.
Thanks, I stand corrected. But what I had mentioned holds good only for infrared rejection. It doesn't apply to anything else apart from infrared rejection. I just now checked 3M's website for CR70 film.
saravananj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 23:09   #1508
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravananj View Post
Thanks, I stand corrected. But what I had mentioned holds good only for infrared rejection. It doesn't apply to anything else apart from infrared rejection. I just now checked 3M's website for CR70 film.
Thats right, what you mentioned is true for IR reflection only not for other wavelengths as @ImmortalZ mentioned. Two CR70s sandwiched together means that multilayered polyesters will double in thickness, but they will continue to reflect off only IR radiation as IR reflection is decided by refractive index and layer thickness of the alternating multilayers. However, visible wavelength blocking pigments/layers will become double in thickness and become more opaque in vis.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 23:47   #1509
Senior - BHPian

I have fitted ECODRIVE on my NANO @ front and Rear for rs 1500 at the dealership itself.

70% Visibility and 38% Heat reduction.
There is a slight difference in a sense that the dash does not get HOT easily now.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 00:27   #1510
BHPian

What's the best way to remove sun film from front and rear windshield (having defogger) ?
Diesel lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 05:54   #1511
BHPian

Can someone let me know the best place to get CR70 installed (genuine) in bangalore. I checked the 3M car care thread, but the prices seem tooo steep.

Whats the average cost in other places for 3M installation in Bangalore.
backrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 14:13   #1512
BHPian

can someone let me know the best place to get 3M or Vkool sunfilm in Delhi NCR please. Also approx prices I should expect for my New fluidic Verna.
fluidic_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 19:30   #1513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
What's the best way to remove sun film from front and rear windshield (having defogger) ?
The best is to take it to some really good installers. They are the best to remove it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
Whats the average cost in other places for 3M installation in Bangalore.
Should be around 5500-6000/-. Why don't you try Sachin's Autoshop in Koramangala?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 20:35   #1514
BHPian

3M car care is the ideal place to get your CR 70 on. Call on Sidhu @ 9740520357. There was a 10% off for Team Bhpians, not sure if it is still there...
gopa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 00:04   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Should be around 5500-6000/-. Why don't you try Sachin's Autoshop in Koramangala?
swiftnfurious, I am also thinking about trying Sachin's Autoshop, is there anyone who has got the front windscreen installation done from there ? I think the rates will be in the range of 6k. Just need to know if the installations are neat and if some problems come up like bubbles or so, they will be cordial to get it replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
3M car care is the ideal place to get your CR 70 on. Call on Sidhu @ 9740520357. There was a 10% off for Team Bhpians, not sure if it is still there...
Will call him and check tomorrow, thanks gopa99.

Any ideas on the prices of front windshield film from Vkool top of the range like CR70 of 3M.
backrub is offline   Reply With Quote