Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 26th March 2012, 18:42   #1696
BHPian

Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Been using the Garware Icecool Shield (front windshield) and Elite (windows and rear) for close to three years now on both my cars. It is surely VFM and even I could not get myself to spend 2x or 3x for possibly an additional 10-20% benefit.

In fact, recently had to replace the Punto's windshield and got it again. However there were some issues with the application and there seemed to be a small bulge which left an inch long mark close to the driver's eyeline. The dealer called Garware customer care and they promptly sent a rep to my place to look it up. He has told me the replacement claim will be processed in 3-4 days and they will send someone to install the new one at my place. Very impressed with the customer service as well.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 19:31   #1697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
After some deliberation I have decided to go for Garware Icecool Shield 70%VLT for my Figo front windscreen. It's parked outside at work and summer time is causing my AC to work doubly hard. The sides already have 3M CS20.

For some reason I just could could not justify the nearly 3X cost of the 3M CR70. Going by condor and anujmishra, Garware is around 2.8K but CR70 costs 7.7K.

Will get it done this saturday and post an update.
Let me also know the contact details. I would also like to go for my Palio front
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 21:04   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Using the car for last 2 days, Temperatures have been close to 40C and trust me having 3M CR70 is a blessing, while I do not know how a darker shade would have helped this is far better than the Llumar we have in other cars,

Thanks all, would really recommend anyone who needs clear classes and yet be able to block heat get this,

Regards,
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 23:42   #1699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After some deliberation I have decided to go for Garware Icecool Shield 70%VLT for my Figo front windscreen. It's parked outside at work and summer time is causing my AC to work doubly hard. The sides already have 3M CS20.

For some reason I just could could not justify the nearly 3X cost of the 3M CR70. Going by condor and anujmishra, Garware is around 2.8K but CR70 costs 7.7K.

Viddy I find Garware film useless, at least the cheaper ones. For the front do get the CR70 believe me it is worth it. Of course you are being charged about 1.2k extra by this guy, try and get it at 5.5k max.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 08:04   #1700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Viddy I find Garware film useless, at least the cheaper ones. For the front do get the CR70 believe me it is worth it. Of course you are being charged about 1.2k extra by this guy, try and get it at 5.5k max.
Akshay, the prices are from 3M car care store so this is fixed price, no discounts.

I already have the 3M CS20 on sides so I won't be going for the cheaper Garware.

Icecool Shield is the most premium one from Garware I think, so do you feel this also will not be good? I sat inside Condor's Ikon recently and he has the Icecool. Wasn't too bad.

My only gripe with the 3M is price. If you look at performance of 3M and Icecool it is very similar:

http://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/pro...-cool%2070.pdf

3M India: Choose your film
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 08:19   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Akshay, the prices are from 3M car care store so this is fixed price, no discounts.

I already have the 3M CS20 on sides so I won't be going for the cheaper Garware.

Icecool Shield is the most premium one from Garware I think, so do you feel this also will not be good? I sat inside Condor's Ikon recently and he has the Icecool. Wasn't too bad.

My only gripe with the 3M is price. If you look at performance of 3M and Icecool it is very similar:

http://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/pro...-cool%2070.pdf

3M India: Choose your film
I faced an issue with Garware on my old Zen.

After a couple of years, when driving in moist condition, I started experiencing foggy vision. This was very irritating since, in Kerala, moist conditions are very regular. Other than that, it was a good film though.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 10:18   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
I had Icecool shield on my Manza and felt it was worth it and on par with CR70 on my friends Linea. However Rs 2800 seems low as typically it costs around Rs 3300-3500. Hope they are not selling you a cool vision/fronty (which have lower heat rejection) or a fake icecool at that price. Fronty & coolvision are only good for reducing glare
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 10:26   #1703
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
I had Icecool shield on my Manza and felt it was worth it and on par with CR70 on my friends Linea. However Rs 2800 seems low as typically it costs around Rs 3300-3500. Hope they are not selling you a cool vision/fronty (which have lower heat rejection) or a fake icecool at that price. Fronty & coolvision are only good for reducing glare
Just checked Condor's post earlier and it is indeed 3.3K MRP but Anuj mentioned he got a 15% discount so 2.8K after discount. I'm going in for 2 cars; mine and a friend's Etios. Let's see if I can get a discount too.

Also, the guy is the same as from Condor and Anujmishra got it done. So looks to be genuine. Condor has pics:

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
hi Vidyasagar,

yes - as per RTO regulations & 5 yrs warranty.
MRP 3.3k for Ice Cool Shield - 70% VLT & 50% heat rejection. Installation was at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Blackfire, it is allowed.

Delhi Traffic Police, New Delhi (India) - Tinted Glass in Motor Vehicles
Minimum 70% VLT for front, and 50% for sides.

From the packaging of the SunFilm:

Attachment 904642

Anuj, thank you ! Hope you have a safe, happy trip.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2715665 (Front windscreen sunfilm?)
Old 27th March 2012, 10:47   #1704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The performance is similar, and if the 3M price is not going to come down then get Garware. Also why not check a normal car accessory store for the price of 3M, generally its substantially lower than the 3M stores.

I guess I am against Garware since I've had a bad experience with them. But at 2.8k it seems like a good deal.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 10:51   #1705
Distinguished - BHPian

@Akshay, I had checked in a couple of places & best quote I got for 3M was 6.8k (7.5k in 3M). This was through TBHP reference & otherwise. Llumar was quoted at 5.5k (best price). Comparatively, Garware is turning out to be a much better deal.

The specs for the 3M may look a little better, but out there in actual driving conditions, I have not faced problems when driving either during night or day. Have tried highway & city, and feels good to have it.

Viddy can actually help tell the differences between the brands, since he has seen at least 2-3 ?

Last edited by condor : 27th March 2012 at 10:53.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 12:05   #1706
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The performance is similar, and if the 3M price is not going to come down then get Garware. Also why not check a normal car accessory store for the price of 3M, generally its substantially lower than the 3M stores.

I guess I am against Garware since I've had a bad experience with them. But at 2.8k it seems like a good deal.
That's the thing Akshay it's actually worth the risk at 2.8K. I would rather spend 2.8K and find that I am not comfortable with the front film then spend 7K then realise that it is not that effective or I'm not comfortable with it.

I haven't tried front film for any of my cars and my only worry is reflection and night driving. On the plus side I'm tempted because of reduced glare at night due to the front sunfilm.
Old 27th March 2012, 13:38   #1707
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure that I really notice reduced glare. There's not much you can do about a tailgating bike's headlight in your mirror, or a truck's headlights at eye level --- or some expensive car with really "effective" headlights and a driver who doesn't know what dip means. However, having got used to the slight internal reflection that I complained about earlier, there is nothing about my 3M film that makes me uncomfortable. I simply do not notice it --- which was the desired result.

To really assess its effectiveness, I would have had to have driven the car with no film for several months, especially as I don't actually take the car out that many times a week. I can say that I haven't noticed the direct-sun heat that made me get the film sooner, rather than later (as planned).
Quote:
That's the thing Akshay it's actually worth the risk at 2.8K. I would rather spend 2.8K and find that I am not comfortable with the front film then spend 7K then realise that it is not that effective or I'm not comfortable with it.
On the other hand, there is a mantra of sensible consumerism that says it is always cheaper to buy once, not twice. 2.8K is a lot less than 7K --- but 2.8K now plus 7K later is more. Going for the cheaper option can be false economy.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 13:38   #1708
BANNED

The ususal dilemma... choosing the one that is cheapest and yet the best. So far have zeroed down on VKool. 5800 for side and back, and 7800 for the front (that is the cheapest one; the costliest is 12000) at Reliance Autozone. 3M is almost similar. I'm sure I can grab some discount. A shopkeeper advised me against 3M saying service is an issue, otherwise it is an excellent film. Garware Icecool is 5500 all glasses.

Planning to get it done in two phases. Windows and rear first and the difference it makes will lead me to step 2, that is the front. I am also taking into account the views against film on the windshield.

Just one issue though. My Wagon R will be my mate for 5 years the coming August. Wondering what the scratches accumulated all these years along with the film will do to the visibility!
anandjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 14:14   #1709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
The ususal dilemma... choosing the one that is cheapest and yet the best. So far have zeroed down on VKool. 5800 for side and back, and 7800 for the front (that is the cheapest one; the costliest is 12000) at Reliance Autozone. 3M is almost similar. I'm sure I can grab some discount. A shopkeeper advised me against 3M saying service is an issue, otherwise it is an excellent film. Garware Icecool is 5500 all glasses.

Planning to get it done in two phases. Windows and rear first and the difference it makes will lead me to step 2, that is the front. I am also taking into account the views against film on the windshield.

Just one issue though. My Wagon R will be my mate for 5 years the coming August. Wondering what the scratches accumulated all these years along with the film will do to the visibility!
Firstly don't get it from Reliance autozone, they badly messed up an install on a members A4. Get it from the Vkool store.

3M too is good, but my pick is Vkool. BTW what 'service' what the shopkeeper talking about that is an issue? I can't understand what service you would need after a good install.

Only people who have not used front sunfilm say things against it. You won't find a single person who has used a good quality sunfilm saying anything against it. It makes a huge difference to the heat and the night time glare. So doing it in 2 stages is sensible, you will see the difference yourself.

As long as you take care of it there will be no scratches. You have to be careful while wiping it from the inside, things like that.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 14:37   #1710
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, I too have a Figo and looking to put the front sunfilm. However what bothers me is the fact that the Figos IRVM is stuck onto the windshield.

Does that mean peeling it out for the sunfilm application? or will the will the film be cut out for the same contours. Have heard sunfilm applications giving problems later on when there are too many curves and odd creases to be lined.

Will wait for your experience
racer_m is offline   Reply With Quote