Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 27th March 2012, 14:43   #1711
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Hi, I too have a Figo and looking to put the front sunfilm. However what bothers me is the fact that the Figos IRVM is stuck onto the windshield.

Does that mean peeling it out for the sunfilm application? or will the will the film be cut out for the same contours. Have heard sunfilm applications giving problems later on when there are too many curves and odd creases to be lined.

Will wait for your experience
Near the IRVM you will see the area has small dots. That entire will be left out which includes the IRVM.

Condor has a pic of it from his Ikon. I'll post it as well during the weekend.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 15:24   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Hi, I too have a Figo and looking to put the front sunfilm. However what bothers me is the fact that the Figos IRVM is stuck onto the windshield.

Does that mean peeling it out for the sunfilm application? or will the will the film be cut out for the same contours. Have heard sunfilm applications giving problems later on when there are too many curves and odd creases to be lined.

Will wait for your experience
The IRVM is pulled out (there is a notch for that, how else would you replace it?). And the area with the dots (basically a strengthened area) will not be filmed. The installer will first 'put' the sunfilm on the outside of the glass. He will then flatten it out and cut it to the dimensions of the glass and also the areas which are avoided. Then a hot gun is used to shape the film. After this he will move inside, clean the glass with sqeegee and soap water. Then apply a adhesive fluid and use the squeegee to clean. After that the film is put there and then the hot gun is used to 'fix' it. The Vista has a very curved screen with a lot of areas to be avoided. Have used a sunfilm for almost a year now. No issues. Just ensure you get it done from a good store who regularly sells sunfilms.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 15:33   #1713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW what 'service' what the shopkeeper talking about that is an issue? I can't understand what service you would need after a good install.
Exactly! It is the sort of meaningless muttering that salesmen use to manipulate. It's called FUD.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 16:11   #1714
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Firstly don't get it from Reliance autozone, they badly messed up an install on a members A4. Get it from the Vkool store.

3M too is good, but my pick is Vkool. BTW what 'service' what the shopkeeper talking about that is an issue? I can't understand what service you would need after a good install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Exactly! It is the sort of meaningless muttering that salesmen use to manipulate. It's called FUD.
The guy who ranted against 3M has an auto accessory shot in Lajpat Nagar, one of the leading 'car saloon' centre in Delhi. He said in case of any problem creeping with 3M films getting warranty honoured takes time. On the other hand Vkool and Garware offer prompt on site service.

My experience with Reliance has been good. But Vkool store sounds coool. Searching their site for an address in Delhi NCR.

Thanks.
anandjha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 16:18   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
That's the thing Akshay it's actually worth the risk at 2.8K. I would rather spend 2.8K and find that I am not comfortable with the front film then spend 7K then realise that it is not that effective or I'm not comfortable with it.

I haven't tried front film for any of my cars and my only worry is reflection and night driving. On the plus side I'm tempted because of reduced glare at night due to the front sunfilm.
Vid6639, a month ago i got Garware Icecool for my Santro and I am observing some good results under the Sun if not better than 3M or Vkool. The Cabin gets cool very quickly compared to stock windshield without Film. This was even acknowledge by my family member's and some of my friend's.

For night visibility i would say i have not observe any major reduction in glares from oncoming traffic.

Specifications

Ice Cool Shield - 70% VLT & 50% heat rejection
As per RTO regulations (Got a Sticker displaying RTO approved as per rule 100 of 1989 Act on front windshield)
5 years warranty (Warranty Card was stamped by the Dealer)

M.R.P was 3.8k on the box, but i managed to get it for 2.5K with installation after some bargaining.

The Dealer gave me the Roll for my approval before opening,checked the roll it had Garware hologram at the opening and was sealed packed, it was January 2012 Manufactured.

Attaching a picture below
Attached Thumbnails
Front windscreen sunfilm?-20120226_130655.jpg  

driving_smartly is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 12:57   #1716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Near the IRVM you will see the area has small dots. That entire will be left out which includes the IRVM.

Condor has a pic of it from his Ikon. I'll post it as well during the weekend.
Front windscreen sunfilm?-frws-sunfilmirvm.jpg

I used to think that the film must go all the way to the edges, including the dotted area. I did ask the installer to extend the film all the way to the edge, but he told me that the film will not stick on the dotted area, and leaving too much there will increase chances of it coming off. Cant fault him the logic he gave, because there was nothing he would have gained by using 1 cm less film (on all sides) than what I thought he should. The rest of the film was thrown away, as waste. He did not take back anything with him, not even the packaging box/roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
The IRVM is pulled out (there is a notch for that, how else would you replace it?). And the area with the dots (basically a strengthened area) will not be filmed.
The film will not stick on the dotted area, hence that section is not covered.

IRVM does not always have to be pulled - you cant do it in all cars. The dotted area is not for strengthening. The dots are superficial, and not continuous. What makes you think it adds strength to the windshield / glass ?

Quote:
After that the film is put there and then the hot gun is used to 'fix' it.
Heat gun is used first time to shape the film, but not required to be used again when sticking inside. They will squeeze out the water, and then let it dry using natural heat (sun-light). Got to check if it is required for Vista, though.

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2012 at 11:59. Reason: As requested
condor is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 13:09   #1717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The film will not stick on the dotted area, hence that section is not covered.
I wondered about this with my Polo. Thanks for explaining why they do not cover this area.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 17:58   #1718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IRVM does not always have to be pulled - you cant do it in all cars. The dotted area is not for strengthening. The dots are superficial, and not continuous. What makes you think it adds strength to the film ?

Heat gun is used first time to shape the film, but not required to be used again when sticking inside. They will squeeze out the water, and then let it dry using natural heat (sun-light). Got to check if it is required for Vista, though.
The dotted area (I spoke to a friend who is with a car company) is to cut the glare behind the RVM so you can clearly see.

I used to think it is to support the RVM

For me the installer used the heat gun both times. For shaping and fixing.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 19:03   #1719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

IRVM does not always have to be pulled - you cant do it in all cars. The dotted area is not for strengthening. The dots are superficial, and not continuous. What makes you think it adds strength to the film ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
The dotted area (I spoke to a friend who is with a car company) is to cut the glare behind the RVM so you can clearly see.

I used to think it is to support the RVM

For me the installer used the heat gun both times. For shaping and fixing.
The dotted area is indeed to reduce the glare behind the RVM. The sun visors don't cover that area so the glass is dotted.

The heat gun is used from outside as well as inside. Outside is to shape the film whereas inside use is to remove small air bubbles easier especially the corners.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 21:25   #1720
BHPian

Have received a quotation of Rs.7000 from CAR-AX in Baner, Pune for 3M CR 70 windscreen film...does this sound like an OK deal. They (vendor) says that it comes with a 5 year warranty.

This is for Honda City 2012 model.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 31st March 2012 at 23:32. Reason: merging posts. Please edit existing post or use multiquote option if posting with 30mins. Refer rule 5.
kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 23:25   #1721
Distinguished - BHPian

That's just for the front windscreen, right?

If it is for the whole car, then go for it fast, and pray they don't recheck the price list!

Yes, according to my lousy memory for numbers, it sounds about right.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 03:57   #1722
BHPian

I got a quote for 7K for 3M CR70 for the front wind shield and 2.7K for CS50 all-around @ tourque Indiranagar. Haven't checked @ EVO Ulsoor. Does this sound reasonable in BLR??
The car is Ford Ikon (2005).

Last edited by AvinashKeezh : 1st April 2012 at 04:27. Reason: typo
AvinashKeezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 06:52   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh
I got a quote for 7K for 3M CR70 for the front wind shield and 2.7K for CS50 all-around @ tourque Indiranagar. Haven't checked @ EVO Ulsoor. Does this sound reasonable in BLR??
I got CR70 and CS35 for 12500/- in HSR 3M car care. You can get a quote from HSR 3MCar Care too. My experience here was very good!

CR70 is just brilliant

Edit: Beware of fake 3M films in the market. Insist on getting warranty card for your installations. CR70 comes with a 5 year warranty and CS series with 3 years. At a 3M store we dont have to worry about fakes

Last edited by autocrat : 1st April 2012 at 06:57.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 08:55   #1724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
Price seems ok. 3M car care outlets are roughly 10-15% more than other accessory shops. You are assured of genuine products and total satisfaction. The installation is also done indoors.

One more suggestion is to try RE50 for sides. Same visibility as CS50 but RE50 is reflective file. CS50 has 33% hear rejection whereas RE50 has 43% since reflective films are more effective.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 10:47   #1725
BHPian

Wink Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's just for the front windscreen, right?

If it is for the whole car, then go for it fast, and pray they don't recheck the price list!

Yes, according to my lousy memory for numbers, it sounds about right.
Only for the windscreen bro
Thanks
kingofkings is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote