Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 7th April 2012, 21:46   #1801
BHPian

Default Re: Front sunfilm that can reduce high beam light

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I want to buy a pair of Anti-Glare Goggles which can be used while Night Riding (2-Wheelers)/Driving (4-Wheelers). If the Anti-Glare Goggles could also be used during Daytime (Block UV Rays), it would be Icing on the Cake.
As mentioned earlier on this thread, approach a decent optician and ask them to provide anti-glare coating on normal glasses or otherwise the power glasses that you are prescribed to wear. You need to keep them scratch-free (maintain carefully) compared to normal glasses, but they are worth the money and effort. AFAIK, they may not block UV rays during the day, but can be used while using a computer too.
skumare is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 10:35   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Since, there has been a lot of discussion on sun films, and it's summer time, thought of consolidating my thoughts on the utility of sun films on a single post.

There are several reasons why one would want to consider a sun control film for a car. As per my experience with using the sun control films, these are the reasons why I would go for a sun control film in decreasing order of priority.

1) Protection from Ultra Violet rays

Higher the UV rejection, the better it's for your body. Almost all sun films available in the market claims to provide 99% UV rejection.

For people who spend too much of time on their car, this should always be the most important factor. The cabin of a car is exposed to sunlight ( both reflected and direct ). And the comfort provided by the AC might give you a false sense of confidence that the sun is not hurting you which is not the case. The harmful UV rays are relentlessly hitting your skin and eyes irrespective of how cool your AC is. You can ofcourse use sun glasses for protecting your eyes. But, it still doesn't give a guaranteed protection to your loved ones. Having a good suncontrol film on all windows gives better protection than applying a sun control cream with an SPF of 100!

2) Visible Light Transmittance ( VLT )

Higher the VLT, the better visibility it offers.

With every sun control film, the magic of heat rejection is achieved in part by reduction of the visible light coming in and hence the visibility is indeed affected ( especially during night ). And unlike a sun glass, you don't have the option of removing it, when the light conditions are dim.

I would recommend a VLT of >70% for the front windshields and >50% for the sides and rear.
If your eyes are very light sensitive and you want to decrease on the budget, VLT of > 35% is adequate as well. But, anything with lesser visibility than 35% is a strict NO

3) Heat Rejection ( TSER )

Higher the TSER, the better heat rejection, the film provides.

The most accurate count of how much of heat is rejected is given by TSER ( Total Solar Energy Rejected ).
I would recommend atleast 50% for the front windshield and 55% for the rear and sides.

4) Signal interference

Metallic films interfere with GPS signals. They weaken it and delays the initial connection time. Could also create issues ( more frequent than without sun films ) when travelling through ghat roads. On the highways ( once the initial connection is made ), it will work fine though albeit with the help of a weaker signal.
Hence, if you plan to use GPS, non-metallic films are better than the metallic films on front windshield.

5) The Brand

V-Kool, 3m, Lumar, and then Garware is the order of Brand Priority as far as I'm concerned

V-kool is known to be the best. Organizations like NASA use V-Kool products. Even US stealth bombers are equipped with V-Kool
3m's crystalline series are very close to V-kool with regards to specifications and 3m's adhesives are amongst the best.
I've no experience with Lumar, but from what I've heard, it's 3rd behind V-Kool and 3m
Garware is Value for money and provides amazing specs for the price it is sold at. With regards to durability, I have bad experience with it though. I faced fogging issues on the windshield after 2 years. Also, it's more scratch prone than V-Kool.

In addition to the above reasons, the sun control film also reduces the glare during night driving, but it's only marginal. Do not get a sun film just to reduce the glare, because it's simply not worth it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If all of 5 reasons are a priority, and cost doesn't matter, the best configuration for a car would be
3m CR-70 ( 99% UV rejection, 70% VLT, 50% TSER, Non-metallic ) on Front Windshield &
V-Kool 40 ( 99% UV Rejection, 40% VLT, 65% TSER, Metallic ) on rear and sides
Total Cost would be around Rs. 35,000/- ( expect variation of 5 to 10% in prices )

If all of 5 reasons are a priority, with a special emphasis on visibility, and cost doesn't matter, the best configuration would be
3m CR-70 ( 99% UV rejection, 70% VLT, 50% TSER, Non-metallic ) on Front Windshield &
V-Kool 70 ( 99% UV rejection, 70% VLT, 55% TSER, Metallic ) on the rear and sides
Total Cost would be around Rs. 30,000/- ( expect variation of 5 to 10% in prices )

If reason number 4 ( signal interference ) is not a priority, and all else is a priority and cost doesn't matter, the best configuration would be
V-Kool 70 ( 99% UV rejection, 70% VLT, 55% TSER, Metallic ) on the front and
V-kool 40 ( 99% UV Rejection, 40% VLT, 65% TSER, Metallic ) on the rear and sides
Total Cost would be around Rs. 40,000/- ( expect variation of 5 to 10% in prices )

If reason number 4 ( signal interference ) is not a priority, and all else is a priority, but with a special emphasis on visibility, and cost doesn't matter, the best options would be
V-Kool 70 ( 99% UV rejection, 70% VLT, 55% TSER, Metallic ) on the front, sides and rear
Total Cost would be around Rs. 35,000/- ( expect variation of 5 to 10% in prices )

If you need to bring in the Value for Money Factor and at the same time get almost the best on all 4 aspects, the best configuration would be
3m CR-50 ( 99% UV rejection, 50% VLT, 56% TSER, Non-metallic ) on the front, sides and rear
Total Cost would be around Rs. 20,000/- ( expect variation of 5 to 10% in prices )

If you need to bring in the Value for Money Factor and at the same time get almost the best on all 4 aspects, with a special emphasis on visibility, the best configuration would be
3m CR-70 ( 99% UV rejection, 70% VLT, 50% TSER, Non-metallic ) on Front Windshield, rear and side
Total Cost would be around Rs. 25,000/- ( expect variation of 5 to 10% in prices )

If VLT takes a back seat, with an emphasis on Value for Money, and a decent, not the best TSER is enough the best configuration would be
V-Kool K37 ( 99% UV rejection, 37% VLT, 47% TSER, Non-metallic ) on sides and rear
Total Cost would be around Rs. 10,000/- ( expect variation of 5 to 10% in prices )

If VLT and brand reputation takes a back seat, and a decent, not the best TSER is enough, the best Value for money configuration would be
Gareware Icecool Shield ( 99% UV rejection, 70% VLT, 50% TSER, Non-metallic ) on Front Windshield &
V-Kool K37 ( 99% UV rejection, 37% VLT, 47% TSER, Non-metallic ) on sides and rear
Total Cost would be around Rs. 7,000/- ( expect variation of 5 to 10% in prices )

I wouldn't want to go for a cheaper quote than 7,000 for sun films, because I consider sun films to be of utmost importance on a car.

PS: The only reason why I didn't mention Lumar models is because I do not have prior experience with it. Also, I do not find the specs of Lumar amazing to give a mention here. There could be other brands which are good as well. Check their reputation and compare the specs of those brands with those mentioned in the post to arrive at the best sun control solution for your car.

Please note that IRR ( Infrared Rejection ) is a marketing gimmick and doesn't truely reflect the heat rejection provided by a sun film. Ofcourse, better IR rejection is always better. But, since it's not an approved measurement standard, different companies use it to their advantage to measure it the way they want it to. Even if IRR is measured in a standardized way, it's just half the story. For eg:- around 50% of the sun's light is IRR, 46% is visible light and 5% UV. It's the combination of all those rejections that matter. On paper, 98% IRR for a premium film compared to 65% IRR for a cheaper film might look like 35% more effective. But, that's not the case, the difference in heat rejection could be just around 15 to 20% depending on their VLT and other aspects. While better IRR is always good, it is not a standardized measure of heat rejection. When it comes to heat rejection, TSER is the true measure.

Last edited by amalji : 8th April 2012 at 10:55.
amalji is offline   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 11:07   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Thanks for that informative post, amalji.

I would like to know, which of the above parameters, viz VLT/TSER etc. determines the darkness of the tint externally ?

For a white car, people generally prefer dark tints. What according to you should be the ideal parameters (within legal limits) for the sides and rear of such car ?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 11:09   #1804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

I would like to know, which of the above parameters, viz VLT/TSER etc. determines the darkness of the tint externally ?

For a white car, people generally prefer dark tints. What according to you should be the ideal parameters (within legal limits) for the sides and rear of such car ?
VLT i.e. visible light transmission determines the darkness. For example 3M CR-70 means 70% visibility, Garware Icecool Shield 70 means 70% visibility and V-kool VK37 means 37% visibility.

For white darker shades look better and not the reflective ones like 3M RE series.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 11:25   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks @Vid for replying. Just wanted to pour in my views as well.

1) VLT determines the darkness
2) All the films mentioned above are suitable for a white car. It adds a classy feel to the car, irrespective of how dark the film is. But, if you want to have a darkish look but within the legal limit, 3m's CR50 is the best option. V-Kool 40 is a very good option as well ( even though, it's below the legal limit in some states, the probability of a police man fining you for V-Kool 40 is less because it is offers pretty good visibility and is not a full dark film ). But, it's costly as well. 3m's CR40 would be another option. If you want to compromise on Visibility further for a darker film, K37 ( VLT of 37% ) is also a good option. But, any further darkening, I wouldn't recommend.
3) And as @Vid mentioned, do not go for the reflective films. It looks out of sorts on a white car ( I do not like its looks even on other colour cars ). The only reflective metallic sun film that I feel looks classy is V-Kool Gold Dust. But, it matches only with certain colours like the "California Gold" of Maruti Zen/Esteem.

PS: The full black films that we see on some vehicles have a VLT in the range of 15% which is not safe for night driving.

Last edited by amalji : 8th April 2012 at 11:40.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 11:58   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for responses, Vid and amlaji.

Looking at the Delhi Police website: Delhi Traffic Police, New Delhi (India) - Tinted Glass in Motor Vehicles I see that the minimum VLT is 50%.

That means 3m's CR50(side+rear) + Garware icecool shield (front) should be a decent budget option ?

Last edited by DCEite : 8th April 2012 at 11:59.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 12:17   #1807
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for responses, Vid and amlaji.

Looking at the Delhi Police website: Delhi Traffic Police, New Delhi (India) - Tinted Glass in Motor Vehicles I see that the minimum VLT is 50%.

That means 3m's CR50(side+rear) + Garware icecool shield (front) should be a decent budget option ?
Yup but the CR50 is not really a budget option. If you want all budget options then I would go for RE50 and icecool shield else the CR50 is the best.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 15:07   #1808
Distinguished - BHPian

While we are in round-up mode (thanks amalji) I was wondering why, out of several 3m films available, we tend to discuss, and even buy, only their premium CR range?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 15:25   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
While we are in round-up mode (thanks amalji) I was wondering why, out of several 3m films available, we tend to discuss, and even buy, only their premium CR range?
The re series from 3m is quite good as well. But, since v-kool already has very cheap products like k35 to compete with that at almost the same price, I did not mention about it.

Regardless, re50 is marginally a better product than v-kool k35 if just the specs are considered and it meets legal requirements as well.

Last edited by amalji : 8th April 2012 at 15:34.
Old 8th April 2012, 15:26   #1810
Senior - BHPian

But Mr. Skumar,
how to verify whether the anti-glare coating is genuine or not since most of the opticians take you for a ride very easily?
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 16:42   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi
But Mr. Skumar,
how to verify whether the anti-glare coating is genuine or not since most of the opticians take you for a ride very easily?

Usually with crizal glass , if you mist the glass with your breath,you can see the hologram. Sure shot way of checking if glass s genuine or not
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 17:46   #1812
BHPian

Finally got the 3M CR70 on the front windscreen this Saturday. Had used the Llumar AIR75 earlier and then had the windscreen changed after which was driving without a film at the front since the past 1 year.

Got it fixed at the 3M franchise at Andheri (W). The price was Rs. 7750 including the installation.

Now the car has Air75 on the sides and rear, and CR70 on the front. The CR70 is definitely much better than Llumar in terms of heat rejection.
swarooppatil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 19:18   #1813
Senior - BHPian

I use Anti-glare Crizal lenses in my specs, went for them after much marketing by the optician, which cost a bomb, and they are absolutely an eye-wash, useless. Better to have a good windscreen sun-film that will reduce the intensity to some extent, like the 3M CR70 one, but still they are no solution to somebody who has sever problems with the high beams.
Also, I think this should be merged with the already on-going discussions on Front Windscreen SunFilms thread as already said above.

Last edited by parsh : 8th April 2012 at 19:20.
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 19:32   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
Finally got the 3M CR70 on the front windscreen this Saturday. Had used the Llumar AIR75 earlier and then had the windscreen changed after which was driving without a film at the front since the past 1 year.

Got it fixed at the 3M franchise at Andheri (W). The price was Rs. 7750 including the installation.

Now the car has Air75 on the sides and rear, and CR70 on the front. The CR70 is definitely much better than Llumar in terms of heat rejection.
TSER for Llumar AIR75 is 39% while for 3m CR70, it's 50%
So, as per the specifications, CR70 is 28% better than AIR75 in terms of heat rejection.
I have also started using 3M's CR70 recently on my Etios windshield. I'm absolutely happy with it.
Old 8th April 2012, 20:12   #1815
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkings View Post
Only for the windscreen bro
Thanks
Had the windscreen job for my 2012 Honda City completed. Good experience with 3M Baner.I decided to go in for going for an authentic 3M store rather than car-ax in Baner as I wanted to be 100% sure on what I was getting.
Paid Rs.7750 for CR70 3M front windscreen film with 5 years warranty.
Overall loved the experience of the store, courteous staff and well appointed lounge area.
Mr.Tapas the owner was courteous and knowledgeable.I had a few grouses on what I felt was small residue marks (size of a thumb print) on the film. Went in the next day and Tapas replaced the film for me. The official explanation was that the residue dries out in a couple of days. i was not willing to wait to test that theory though and they replaced the film for me

Also went in for new car paint protection (supposed to prevents paint fade on the car exterior) for an additional 2995 + service tax (got a 10% discount).
kingofkings is offline   Reply With Quote