Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2016, 14:09   #2116
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 93
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Any reviews for Heat Guard Ice Blu 80 for the front screen?
CA Dhruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 17:53   #2117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 113
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
In addition to the legal implications, there is also the safety isuue to consider.
Driving at night with a film on front windscreen is not safe. It would cut down on visibility and one might not see pedestrians, cycles and even vehicles parked without lights in dark areas.
Driving in the night with the sunfilm is actually safer. I have CR70 on my SX4 which i have been using since 2007 and let me tell you, i find reason to start my highway drives in the night.

While, I did not read the fine prints T&C of the insurance folks but i have never seen them asking about the windshield screen. I have used insurance at least for 4-5 time on my SX4 and it has always been a hassle free experience. In short, don't think twice before getting one and of course get the best one possible and you will not regret your decision.
joelchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:40   #2118
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

We haven't seen much of cars being stopped for installing sun films in Chennai last year. As we are approaching the tough summer, more people will be in for sun films to their cars. Wanted to get it installed when its relatively free

Got quotes for sun films last week from 3m outlet & when I called to fix an appointment, I was updated on price revision.. 3M has revised the prices of their products across line by 6-7% effective 21st January 2017.

That made me to search for alternative products vouched for their performance here in Tbhp...came across the below

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
+1 to that. I use Garware in 3 of my 4 cars and am an extremely satisfied customer. It's got to do with the install quality.
http://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/company.html

Have to check up with the product that are available and its cost

Edit:

Spoke to one of the dealer listed in their website. He says they have a product NF (Non-Fading) 70 with 5 yrs warranty from Garware. Costs Rs.4,500/- for all 4 windows and rear windshield. It comes in the pack & with same material they will be able to manage for a SUV too (i wanted to get that done for a hatchback and SUV) ...so there won't be any cost difference.

For front windshield, he suggested Ice CooL shield which comes in green and grey tinge.....Grey cuts down the heat by 50% and green by 55% & costs 4k

Last edited by Surprise : 22nd January 2017 at 08:59.
Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:34   #2119
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,892
Thanked: 9,729 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

MY Jetta had a 3M film on the windscreen. 4 years later it was getting distorted. Vidd6639 had difficulties driving one night from the Bangalore Hyderabad meet.

I got it removed, still some smear from the adhesive which will take time to remove
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 19:42   #2120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Banagalore
Posts: 122
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

I am using from Aliexpress "Yika HD Car Sun Visor Goggles For Driver Day & Night Anti-dazzle Mirror Sun Visors" for $10
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-C...284471178.html
For Night driving the opposite headlight glares are cutoff significantly.
Dont know its legal , but an good option for summer
Fabiaous is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 20:56   #2121
BHPian
 
rajivr1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 316
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
I am using from Aliexpress "Yika HD Car Sun Visor Goggles For Driver Day & Night Anti-dazzle Mirror Sun Visors" for $10
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-C...284471178.html
For Night driving the opposite headlight glares are cutoff significantly.
Dont know its legal , but an good option for summer
There are many studies, may please check online, which mentions dangers of using amber colored elements for night driving. The main problem being it the slightly unlit areas which otherwise would be discernable, would be rendered dark by using amber glasses. Reports says amber gives a false sense of clarity.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:36   #2122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Banagalore
Posts: 122
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
There are many studies, may please check online, which mentions dangers of using amber colored elements for night driving. The main problem being it the slightly unlit areas which otherwise would be discernable, would be dark by using amber glasses. Reports says amber gives a false sense of rendered clarity.
Thanks for the inputs,
I found it usefull at night as it covers only top portion of windscreen about 2 inches from top and length is 8 inches so just trying in places where opposite traffic headlights are hazzard.
on city roads with no street lights its very dangerous to use any tints.
Fabiaous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 09:39   #2123
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Post Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
MY Jetta had a 3M film on the windscreen. 4 years later it was getting distorted. Vidd6639 had difficulties driving one night from the Bangalore Hyderabad meet.

I got it removed, still some smear from the adhesive which will take time to remove
I faced the same issue with 3m CR70 and almost after the same period of use ( 4 years ). The distortions looks like tiny scratches. But, in reality it's the wrinkles caused by film expansion.

I use V-Kool 70 on the rear and sides of my Etios and they still give excellent visibility even after 5.5 years of rough use and 1.2 lakh kms on the road. So, planning to peel off the 3m CR70 on the windshield and replace that with V-Kool 70.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 15:22   #2124
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have the CR70 film on my front windshield. Am planning to fit an RFID sticker on it for my sea link toll. Will the toll gateway sensor be able to detect the RFID sticker through the film?
My friend's new Duster AMT has Vkool on his front windshield. And he has problems getting his fasttag identified at toll booths. But he suspects his tag. So he is planning to change the tag. ICICI insists there is no problem with their tags. So if you have put the tag and its working, please update the thread.

The question of smudging is also very obvious on his film. Due to improper heating and squeeze application there is a smudge right in the driver's visibility path. He says its very irritating. And he already has one time replaced due to smudging and peeling on the corners. So after replacement, now he has both peeling and smudging which is affecting visibility. So i guess its not 3M or Vkool.
Attached Thumbnails
Front windscreen sunfilm?-v-kool-film1.jpg  

Front windscreen sunfilm?-v-kool-film2-1.jpg  

kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 16:05   #2125
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,747
Thanked: 4,338 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

4 years later, the Garware on the front windshield is still good. I removed the side film recently, and it came off easily without any problems. Btw, the vehicle is parked outside, and is exposed to sunlight esp in the afternoon.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 21:11   #2126
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 299
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
My friend's new Duster AMT has Vkool on his front windshield. And he has problems getting his fasttag identified at toll booths. But he suspects his tag. So he is planning to change the tag. ICICI insists there is no problem with their tags. So if you have put the tag and its working, please update the thread.
When I had company RFID tag behind Vkool70, scanner did not detect the tag. Then peeled of a portion of Vkool70 film and pasted the tag directly on the windshield to make it detect. So pls remove a portion of vkool film and paste FasTag directly. Before cutting the film, pls take out the FasTag and get it scanned at NHAI Toll plaza to make sure it is functional.

Last edited by Twiny : 17th March 2017 at 21:13.
Twiny is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 21:23   #2127
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,747
Thanked: 4,338 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

My Fastag is stuck to the sunfilm, but never had any problems in it being read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
When I had company RFID tag behind Vkool70, scanner did not detect the tag. Then peeled of a portion of Vkool70 film and pasted the tag directly on the windshield to make it detect.
In case of company affixed RFID - does it stick back after being removed ? The tag comes affixed at factory. If your tag was behind the VKook, then it would mean that the tag was removed before getting the Vkool installed.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 23:01   #2128
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 299
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My Fastag is stuck to the sunfilm, but never had any problems in it being read.

In case of company affixed RFID - does it stick back after being removed ? The tag comes affixed at factory. If your tag was behind the VKook, then it would mean that the tag was removed before getting the Vkool installed.
I too have FasTag working behind Garware Ice Cool 70.

By company RFID, I meant my employer's RFID tag; not the car manufacturer affixed one. Sorry for the confusion.
Twiny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 11:19   #2129
BHPian
 
Poloprasad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
4 years later, the Garware on the front windshield is still good. I removed the side film recently, and it came off easily without any problems. Btw, the vehicle is parked outside, and is exposed to sunlight esp in the afternoon.
I have recently fixed the Garware icecool in Cars inn, nungambakkam, chennai. I am extremely satisfied with this film. I have an open parking in my office which is exposed to direct sunlight everyday and there is a noticeable heat rejection after installation. It gives 50% heat rejection and visible light transmission of 80% with uv rays rejection of 99%. They gave me a 5 year warranty and it costed me Rs 4400. It is definitely a value for money considering the quality and price of other products like 3m & Vkool.
Poloprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 08:33   #2130
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 1,426 Times
Post Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
The question of smudging is also very obvious on his film. Due to improper heating and squeeze application there is a smudge right in the driver's visibility path. He says its very irritating. And he already has one time replaced due to smudging and peeling on the corners. So after replacement, now he has both peeling and smudging which is affecting visibility. So i guess its not 3M or Vkool.
This is a classic case of bad workmanship. V-Kool film needs trained staff to get it done properly especially on a curvy big windshield because it's a thick film. Here, the staff doesn't seem to know how to get this done properly. You should ask for a refund. These kind of smudges are unacceptable and will affect the safety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
4 years later, the Garware on the front windshield is still good. I removed the side film recently, and it came off easily without any problems. Btw, the vehicle is parked outside, and is exposed to sunlight esp in the afternoon.
Yes, even our Liva has Garware Arctic 70 installed on the front windshield. It doesn't have any issues till now. But, it hasn't been abused like the Etios. Your words gives a lot of confidence.

Any idea about garware dealers who can be trusted in and around Bangalore ? The quality of work is very important to get the heat rejection without compromising on the visibility. So, I do not want to take a risk especially after I saw the comment from @kutlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
When I had company RFID tag behind Vkool70, scanner did not detect the tag. Then peeled of a portion of Vkool70 film and pasted the tag directly on the windshield to make it detect. So pls remove a portion of vkool film and paste FasTag directly. Before cutting the film, pls take out the FasTag and get it scanned at NHAI Toll plaza to make sure it is functional.
Yes, V-kool films are known to interfere with signals because they are metallic films and that's the only reason why I'm still a bit skeptical about having that on the front windshield. Else, it's still doing its duty all around ( sides and rear ). But, 3m CR70 disappointed me with its ability to hold up when parked in the open for long. 4 years was all it took to make it useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloprasad View Post
I have recently fixed the Garware icecool in Cars inn, nungambakkam, chennai. I am extremely satisfied with this film. I have an open parking in my office which is exposed to direct sunlight everyday and there is a noticeable heat rejection after installation. It gives 50% heat rejection and visible light transmission of 80% with uv rays rejection of 99%. They gave me a 5 year warranty and it costed me Rs 4400. It is definitely a value for money considering the quality and price of other products like 3m & Vkool.
Could you please share the specific model number that you are using ? 80% VLT and 50% Heat rejection seems to be too good to be true.
I just checked Garware websites and I could see 2 models with 80% VLT

The only film that comes near the values that you quoted is the V-Kool 70+ (75% VLT and 52% TSER)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th March 2017 at 09:55. Reason: Edited
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Falling stone cracks front windscreen Lukeskywalker Street Experiences 32 14th June 2012 14:26
CAUTION!!! Swift Owners installing Front Windshield Sunfilm Pace in Blood Modifications & Accessories 95 23rd June 2011 11:33
New Swift Diesel - Water Leak through front Windscreen and the following messup!!! sam_sant2005 The Indian Car Scene 71 24th December 2010 17:02
Yamaha Rd350 Front windscreen cover bsa1955 Motorbikes 28 18th February 2009 11:51
WagonR front windscreen scratched DCEite Technical Stuff 2 8th July 2008 21:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks