Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 31st December 2007, 12:23   #406
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrainsky View Post
Anyone having similar experience with film on front glass?
Hi,

I too faced a similar problem in my Getz. Had installed Film Pro first and then when I complained of glare got it replaced by Lumar. Problem persisted and eventually I removed the film. Was not charged anything for either of the films(thanks to my contacts and relation with the dealer). There was no problem whatsoever without the film. May add that if you wear spectacles the problem if you may call it that is more pronounced. Try and focus on lights(brake lights, street lights) thru the film and you may see halo's. Would not advise the film for anyone who does a lot of highway driving and wears spectacles.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 12:33   #407
BHPian

Quote:
I got Air75 from Lumar for my front glass spending 6K. I think it is giving a good cooling effect but I have a hell of a lot of glare while driving at night. There is also a kind of "shift" of objects on certain locations in the glass while driving in broad daylight. The representative from Lumar came to check the vehicle but did nothing to change the film. He keeps saying that the problem should be with the glass which I am not prepared to accept!! The dealer (naturally, of course!) recommended that it is good for the front glass but now says some other brand would have been better

I have AIR 75 in my swift and I dont see any issues with it till date. Anyway I didnt go for long drives, hence cannot comment on it. But the cooling effect is good.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 13:04   #408
Team-BHP Support

I installed Vkool on the Skoda at Tint Mart. Was cheaper than infrakool and quality of installation was good. Cost me 16300 overall. Included cleaning marks of previously installed film. Front alone was 8700. Remaining was 3000 more than vkool equivalent so I decided on quality instead
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 17:14   #409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I installed Vkool on the Skoda at Tint Mart. Was cheaper than infrakool and quality of installation was good. Cost me 16300 overall. Included cleaning marks of previously installed film. Front alone was 8700. Remaining was 3000 more than vkool equivalent so I decided on quality instead
Ajmat, that's quite a lot you've paid. Tint mart is too expensive IMO. They charge very heavily claiming they have a booth in which they put the tints on the car.

Did you install v-kool for the side windows as well?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 17:20   #410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Ajmat, that's quite a lot you've paid. Tint mart is too expensive IMO. They charge very heavily claiming they have a booth in which they put the tints on the car.

Did you install v-kool for the side windows as well?
Yep, I did, I know I paid a bit more but Vkool charge more going direct and I wanted the dust free booth
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2007, 17:41   #411
BHPian

Guys,

Planning on VKool for my palio slx front windscreen. Will the dealer/service centre putting stickers on it spoil the film?

Thanks,

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:26   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Guys,

Planning on VKool for my palio slx front windscreen. Will the dealer/service centre putting stickers on it spoil the film?

Thanks,

Rajan
Rajan

Dont ask him to stick the stickers on the inside of your window. If its utmost required, have them outside.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:23   #413
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but I have a hell of a lot of glare while driving at night. There is also a kind of "shift" of objects on certain locations in the glass while driving in broad daylight. The representative from Lumar came to check the vehicle but did nothing to change the film. He keeps saying that the problem should be with the glass which I am not prepared to accept!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

I too faced a similar problem in my Getz. Had installed Film Pro first and then when I complained of glare got it replaced by Lumar. Problem persisted and eventually I removed the film. Was not charged anything for either of the films(thanks to my contacts and relation with the dealer). There was no problem whatsoever without the film. May add that if you wear spectacles the problem if you may call it that is more pronounced.
This is precisely why I dont recommend fitting any film on the front windscreen at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Samurai,

On the side and rear glasses, film is a necessity over the Indian summers.

Buttttttttttttttttttt I DONT recommend any film on the front screen. Reason? No matter how well its fitted, vision will always be a little blurred - moreso at some delicate curves of the glass. I have seen Vkool film on the front glass and all of these other brands fitted by company chaps on various cars...the end result on the front screen is the same. If not when brand new, then certainly within a handful of months.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:36   #414
BHPian

^^^
I have installed llumar, on front windshield, twice on my car. The second time because the windshield cracked due to a hit from stone.

After the first installation, i didn't have any issues.

But after the second installation, when the wind shield was also changed(at GM), there are lot of scratches. They are kind of swril marks . And night driving has become real pain. Yet to figure out, if this is because of new wind shield or the new film.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:43   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Which vkool dealer did you get it done with? I also have the same problem.
For warranty issues, you need to go to the V Kool office in Windsor Court, Lalbagh Road (Next to Prakash Motors).

They did not replace the film. The person whom I contacted on the phone gave me wrong information. They will replace film only if the film is faulty/ installation issues.
I spent 11000 for the windscreen film and used it only for 6 months.

I have decided not to go for windscreen film now there are many construction activities around my house. Its manageable without the film. The windscreen is very clear, but the glare from oncoming vehicles is more.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:29   #416
BHPian

Quote:
See my previous post(#416). Did you called up the llumar guys directly? I have to check where i kept the freaking bill. Guess they have some 5 year warranty or some thing...
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:05   #417
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
I too faced a similar problem in my Getz. Had installed Film Pro first and then when I complained of glare got it replaced by Lumar. Problem persisted and eventually I removed the film.
Viper,
How easy / effective is this film removal process? How is your windscreen after they remove the film? i mean, does it get scratched and all that? This adhesive, does that comes off in one visit to the installer or is it a progressive job?

I havenít seen a film being removed, so donít know how easily the adhesive comes off the glass or how long it takes.
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 08:55   #418
BANNED

Hi,

Its fairly straight forward if the film installers do it. They use some soap water solution and a blade to clean away the residual glue. Never ever use a blade to clean glass unless it is wet/soapy else you will end up scratching your glass. Pay the guy 50/100 and have peace of mind.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 13:20   #419
BHPian

As has been suggested earlier, Invest in a good pair of Polaroid sunglasses which you can use at night. Its a lot cheaper, and serves the purpose of blocking glare from the oncoming vehicle.
If you are looking at cooling the car and reducing heat from the windscreen, well, you would have to get used to the hazy picture at night with a front sunfilm.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 21:58   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
As has been suggested earlier, Invest in a good pair of Polaroid sunglasses which you can use at night. Its a lot cheaper, and serves the purpose of blocking glare from the oncoming vehicle.
If you are looking at cooling the car and reducing heat from the windscreen, well, you would have to get used to the hazy picture at night with a front sunfilm.
Hazy picture with a front sunfilm? If you get good quality sunfilm professionally done, you will have no such problems.

Always make sure you keep your front windscreen clean especially if you have to drive at night. Swirl marks due to bad cleaning methods are another major reason for poor visibility.

Any "cooling" glasses which has 60% visibility or lesser will definitely reduced your visibility factor during night time. You will have tough time making out pedesterians, dark coloured objects if you wear coolers when you drive !
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote