Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 18:05   #1426
BHPian
 
razrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I can definitely feel the difference now. I usually park my car outside in the sun when am at office. Before, I couldnt get inside the car and I used to keep the AC at the max. Now after going for darker shades and front sun films, there is a considerable rejection of heat. The max I have kept the AC is at the second position now.
I second that. I had lighter films and ripped them and got dark films on my car and the difference was immidiately noticible. Many will argue that its all about TSER and not about VLT but practically I have definitely felt a difference.
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 18:26   #1427
Distinguished - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,740
Thanked: 3,137 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
I second that. I had lighter films and ripped them and got dark films on my car and the difference was immidiately noticible. Many will argue that its all about TSER and not about VLT but practically I have definitely felt a difference.
True. Lighter sun films that I had earlier didnt prove to be useful. Didnt cut the heat and was horrible. Now after going in for the darker shades, there is a considerable amount of heat rejected.
Find the pics below of the before (lighter) and after (darker) shades of films.
Attached Thumbnails
Front windscreen sunfilm?-img00309201103261801.jpg  

Attached Images
 
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 11:34   #1428
BHPian
 
razrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
True. Lighter sun films that I had earlier didnt prove to be useful. Didnt cut the heat and was horrible. Now after going in for the darker shades, there is a considerable amount of heat rejected.
Find the pics below of the before (lighter) and after (darker) shades of films.
I noticed that you changed the rear windshield film too. Any problems with the defogger thereafter?
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 13:25   #1429
Distinguished - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,740
Thanked: 3,137 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
I noticed that you changed the rear windshield film too. Any problems with the defogger thereafter?
Yes, I changed the sun films completely. No defogger in my car since it's a Vdi. No problems with the defogger. My friend's car(blue swift) is Zxi and he didnt report any faults.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 17:23   #1430
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Ok taking into account all the suggestions and reading a lot into this thread, this is the information that I have gathered for a front windshield sunfilm:

Vkool V70
Price: Around 8.5K
Users: Ace_F355

Garware Icecool Shield
Price: Rs. 2750 - Rs. 3000/-
Users: CESC, icemanz

Llumar Charcoal Black CH05
Price: Rs. 1800/- or so (Maruti Suzuki Swift)
Users: naveen.raju, Xryder

3M CR70
Price: Rs 7.5k (Honda Civic)
Users: dot

The Vkool V70 is totally out of my budget. The Garware Icecool Shield and Llumar CH05 are in my budget. But somebody reported dashboard reflection problems with the Garware.

I am totally confused but inclined towards the Llumar CH 05.

@dot
What is the price of the 3M CR70?

EDIT: Just adding the car models for which the prices have been quoted.
I just got my car back from Maya Motors, who are dealers for Huper Optik in Chennai. For my Cedia Spirit, front windshield sunfilm KLAR CR70 ST - total cost including installation and taxes is INR. 4,260.44.
Hope this info helps all.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 11:39   #1431
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 878 Times
Default Brand new Windscreen sunfilm scratched.

Guys, I need a piece of advise. I installed Garware Ice cool shield sun film at MSM yesterday. While driving today, I noticed the front right side (dashboard) speaker of my sound system was giving abnormal noise/vibrations. This was not there before installation of the sun film. As they spray a liquid repeatedly and clean the inside of the wind shield during installation, I thought some of it could have got in to the speaker. So I brought the car back to MSM to check. A technician opened the speaker and sure enough, some water/dust was there. So he cleaned and put it back and it is now normal.

But after he re-installed the dashboard cover and the side beading near the wind shield and left, I noticed a scratch in the film at the bottom of the wind shield. I raised an issue and they have called for the guy who installed the film. I am right now awaiting his arrival.

The scratch is thin, horizontal and two inches long, obviously caused by some sharp tip. Can be felt by the finger tip and is about a couple of inches from the bottom of the wind shield. It is not exactly in the prime viewing area but still I am very unhappy. I am unable to take a photo of it with my cell phone - it is not showing in the picture.

Please advise whether to ignore it or make an issue of it. The guy will be here in another half an hour.

Last edited by Gansan : 17th April 2011 at 11:41.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 12:55   #1432
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Brand new Windscreen sunfilm scratched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, I need a piece of advise. I installed Garware Ice cool shield sun film at MSM yesterday. While driving today, I noticed the front right side (dashboard) speaker of my sound system was giving abnormal noise/vibrations. This was not there before installation of the sun film. As they spray a liquid repeatedly and clean the inside of the wind shield during installation, I thought some of it could have got in to the speaker. So I brought the car back to MSM to check. A technician opened the speaker and sure enough, some water/dust was there. So he cleaned and put it back and it is now normal.

But after he re-installed the dashboard cover and the side beading near the wind shield and left, I noticed a scratch in the film at the bottom of the wind shield. I raised an issue and they have called for the guy who installed the film. I am right now awaiting his arrival.

The scratch is thin, horizontal and two inches long, obviously caused by some sharp tip. Can be felt by the finger tip and is about a couple of inches from the bottom of the wind shield. It is not exactly in the prime viewing area but still I am very unhappy. I am unable to take a photo of it with my cell phone - it is not showing in the picture.

Please advise whether to ignore it or make an issue of it. The guy will be here in another half an hour.
Since you have paid for it and the flaw in the first time installation is no fault of yours, I suggest you ask for a replacement. Or else you will have to live with this eye-sore.

Also, I am apprehensive that in future the cut may give way to dust/air bubbles that could spread to the other areas of the film as well.

Last edited by rr_zen : 17th April 2011 at 12:57.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 13:13   #1433
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,172
Thanked: 1,602 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Ok taking into account all the suggestions and reading a lot into this thread, this is the information that I have gathered for a front windshield sunfilm:

Vkool V70
Price: Around 8.5K
Users: Ace_F355
maverick145 bro, by the time of this post of yours, I didn't even have any sunfilm installed on my car! What gave you such hints?

Anyway, here are the details. I got sunfilms installed on my Shark during April 1st week.

Llumar PP 60 for the front - INR 3600
Llumar SR 50 Steel for the sides and rear - INR 4000

Prices include installation charges on my Civic and come with a 5 years warranty. Hope this helps.

Edit: Attaching pics of the car from inside and outside, just to give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Front windscreen sunfilm?-3.jpg  

Front windscreen sunfilm?-6.jpg  


Last edited by Ace F355 : 17th April 2011 at 13:18.
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 13:31   #1434
BHPian
 
Sridhar K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 591
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

@Gansan,
Agree with Rr_Zen. My install today also went wrong and the dealer (Motozone) has promised a reinstall tomorrow.

BTW, did you get to drive it at night and feedback if you did?
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 14:42   #1435
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 878 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Since you have paid for it and the flaw in the first time installation is no fault of yours, I suggest you ask for a replacement. Or else you will have to live with this eye-sore.

Also, I am apprehensive that in future the cut may give way to dust/air bubbles that could spread to the other areas of the film as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
@Gansan,
Agree with Rr_Zen. My install today also went wrong and the dealer (Motozone) has promised a reinstall tomorrow.

BTW, did you get to drive it at night and feedback if you did?
The chief guy from the Garware dealership came and saw the film. He accepts that though the scratch was caused by the MGA technician attending the speaker, the root cause was his own guy who let water in to it in the first place. He says the scratch will not compromise the performance/life of the film in any way but the only alternative is to replace the film. The choice is mine.

I said I will drive for a week/ten days and see. If it bothers me in any way, especially at night, they will replace the film. This is mainly to buy time while I mull over it. I doubt if it will cause any issues though. Have you guys seen the strip of black film installed on the top portion of the wind shield when new cars are delivered? Well, if such a strip were to be installed at the bottom of my wind shield, this scratch will go underneath it.

Can re-installing the film affect the wind shield in any way? Except for this one blemish, the install is perfect. What should I do?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 17:10   #1436
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 299
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Removing film don't ham windshield.. more care is needed for removing film from rear glass with heating elements.. IMHO keep it, if its not an eyesore from inside/outside. Either ways you could make up your mind after few days..
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 18:26   #1437
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What should I do?
In night time, get inside your car & ask someone to flash a torch light on the area of the scratch in various angles(Emulate headlights of car coming towards you). If the scratch is magnifying the effect of light & causes glare, ask them to remove & reinstall. A reinstall has no effect on glass, only thing you need to look out for is that they remove all of the adhesive of the earlier film & clean the glass thoroughly.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 18:51   #1438
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Removing the film doesn't affect the windshield in anyway. However, if you decide to go in for a replacement, I suggest you do it ASAP. The sooner the film is removed, the easier will be the removal process. On whether to replace or not, if you feel the scratch will not give way to dust particles/air bubbles (depends on the intensity of the scratch - if it is superficial) like I pointed out earlier, you can afford to live with it, not otherwise.

On a side note, I appreciate the approach and the response of the Garware chief and his root cause analysis.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011, 20:42   #1439
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 878 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
IMHO keep it, if its not an eyesore from inside/outside. Either ways you could make up your mind after few days..
That is my inclination too, as of now. It is visible, but not at first glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
In night time, get inside your car & ask someone to flash a torch light on the area of the scratch in various angles(Emulate headlights of car coming towards you). If the scratch is magnifying the effect of light & causes glare, ask them to remove & reinstall.
That is a very good suggestion, will do that. I will also take it out for a spin at night for good measure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
On whether to replace or not, if you feel the scratch will not give way to dust particles/air bubbles (depends on the intensity of the scratch - if it is superficial) like I pointed out earlier, you can afford to live with it, not otherwise.

On a side note, I appreciate the approach and the response of the Garware chief and his root cause analysis.
He said the scratch is superficial and has not gone through the film (he says it is a thick film), so the effect is only cosmetic according to him. He is still willing to replace the film. "I will not like such a blemish on my own car", were his words. I am worried if the second install will be as perfect.

@Sridhar
Please let me know how it goes, after your re-install.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 13:45   #1440
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,711
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am worried if the second install will be as perfect.
If the installation is to be done by the same person I wonder why it will not be as perfect as the first time. Nevertheless, its a call you would have to take on replacing it or not.

P.S: Would have really helped if you could have managed to post a pic of the damage.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Falling stone cracks front windscreen Lukeskywalker Street Experiences 32 14th June 2012 14:26
CAUTION!!! Swift Owners installing Front Windshield Sunfilm Pace in Blood Modifications & Accessories 95 23rd June 2011 11:33
New Swift Diesel - Water Leak through front Windscreen and the following messup!!! sam_sant2005 The Indian Car Scene 71 24th December 2010 17:02
Yamaha Rd350 Front windscreen cover bsa1955 Motorbikes 28 18th February 2009 11:51
WagonR front windscreen scratched DCEite Technical Stuff 2 8th July 2008 21:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks