Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 08:16   #1
BHPian
 
hrishig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 372
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Why paint the body side molding?

In my opinion the real use of the body side/ Waistline moldings is to save the car from few scratches during the city driving . Now if the molding is of black color (Original color )and there is a scratch on it I think it will look acceptable. But if the car has “Color” body side moldings and there is scratch it defiantly look BAD. Not only it can be noticed from long distance, you need to pay for painting it again.
As we can see almost all the cars above B / B+ segment are with body color side moldings. Do somebody know reason for this?

Last edited by hrishig : 18th January 2009 at 08:19.
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 08:34   #2
BHPian
 
mukeshgoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 738
Thanked: 370 Times
Default

Same reason was used to be for blank bumpers. Now 90% of the cars come with body colored bumpers.
mukeshgoel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 09:14   #3
BHPian
 
cruiser_1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 313
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Its just 'looks matter more than the functional' thing. The automakers are believing that customers will accept this the same way as the Body coloured bumpers and ORVMs were accepted.
cruiser_1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 16:32   #4
BHPian
 
humm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 75
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Such things keep happening on colored bumpers. Drive carefully and most importantly if there is a small dot of paint peel off or spot, bring the matching pain color and do regular paint touch up's. I always do that.

Also bumpers being body color is a must in costly cars since it makes a style statement and the car looks good. Imagine seeing a Red BMW with black bumpers? So you see style is important.
humm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 23:10   #5
ada
BHPian
 
ada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 132
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I wanted colour body mouldings with my Ritz, I was told that they come in black colour only, but if I wanted it car coloured it would cost 2000 bucks to paint, and no guarantee that the colour would last. I personally believe that for some colour like white black body moulding looks great.
ada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,772
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default

cant the body cladding be removed and painted separetely ? why paint whole bumper when u need to paint just the cladding
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 00:15   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,995
Thanked: 659 Times
Default

why colour the bumper in the first place?
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 10:15   #8
BHPian
 
SedatedDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 263
Thanked: 130 Times
Default

Moldings can be removed, repainted, repaired or replaced and put back on at a very minimal cost to the owner. Whereas a scratch, a deep etch or a bend could cost around 3,000 INR to up to 15,000 INR depending upon the vehicle.

Body coloured moldings retain the aesthetics of the vehicle while providing the above benefit.

Chrome moldings are one step further and add to the jewel treatment of your vehicle. But too much bling makes me cringe.

Moldings can be removed, repaired or replaced at a very minimal cost to the owner in case of scratches. Whereas a scratch, a deep etch or a bend in the body panel of your vehicle can cost anywhere around 3,000 INR to 15,000 INR depending upon the vehicle.

Body coloured moldings retain the aesthetics of the vehicle while providing the above benefit. Chrome moldings go one step further by adding to the jewel treatment of your car. But too much bling makes me cringe.

Last edited by manson : 1st September 2011 at 14:36.
SedatedDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 10:15   #9
BHPian
 
Abhiram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 10 Times
Exclamation Door Protectors

Hi All,
Just wanted to get your thoughts on door and bumper protectors. I've always had a door protector on my old car. I used to park in peace in office, malls etc knowing that even if the car parked to my left or right opened their doors rashly, my car would not be scratched\harmed. But I am stuck in a dilemma now. While i appreciate the protection it provides(Esp while parking in public places), it does make the car look very ugly. I have booked a Ciaz and i really don't want to have the protectors installed this time.

Please share your thoughts on pros and cons of having them installed.
(Especially people who have not installed them right now and how they are managing without them).

Many Thanks.

PS: Can any of the mods add a poll to the topic with below(or any other suitable) options? Think it would be very informative and I cant find an option.

1. Have protectors installed.
2. Do not have protectors installed and am doing fine.
3. Do not have protectors installed and regret it.


PPS: Apologies if they are called something else. I am talking about the strip that comes on the sides of cars.
Abhiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 12:05   #10
NOX
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9
Thanked: 12 Times
Post Re: Door Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiram View Post
Hi All,
Just wanted to get your thoughts on door and bumper protectors. I've always had a door protector on my old car. I used to park in peace in office, malls etc knowing that even if the car parked to my left or right opened their doors rashly, my car would not be scratched\harmed. But I am stuck in a dilemma now. While i appreciate the protection it provides(Esp while parking in public places), it does make the car look very ugly. I have booked a Ciaz and i really don't want to have the protectors installed this time.

Please share your thoughts on pros and cons of having them installed.
(Especially people who have not installed them right now and how they are managing without them).

Many Thanks.

PS: Can any of the mods add a poll to the topic with below(or any other suitable) options? Think it would be very informative and I cant find an option.

1. Have protectors installed.
2. Do not have protectors installed and am doing fine.
3. Do not have protectors installed and regret it.


PPS: Apologies if they are called something else. I am talking about the strip that comes on the sides of cars.
I think what your referring to is the Body side molding. The black or sometimes colored strips which run horizontally through side of the car.

I don't use them. I usually spend time in parking my car. Either go for the corners and leave max space for the car next to me on one side or I just park in between high end cars cause they have the two step door opening function in them.. it worked out for me so far. end of the day you have to spend in parking but feels great while driving out a beautiful car.
NOX is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 13:11   #11
BHPian
 
Abhiram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Door Protectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOX View Post
I think what your referring to is the Body side molding. The black or sometimes colored strips which run horizontally through side of the car
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOX View Post
end of the day you have to spend in parking but feels great while driving out a beautiful car.
Yeah. That's my current thinking as well. Hope i won't regret the decision!
Abhiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting facts about Left Side or Right Side Driving kreddy Street Experiences 28 7th November 2013 14:30
A Fiat 500 Abarth made from human body & body paint dharmeshmahajan The International Automotive Scene 5 25th October 2013 14:47
Leather grain on DIY Fibreglass molding cmdalvi DIY - Do it yourself 4 12th May 2012 14:09
Discussion: Fiberglass Molding sushantr5 In-Car Entertainment 9 9th March 2010 11:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:23.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks