Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 19:52   #46
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,917 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Wiper motor is under the hood and on the RHS, in front of the streering.

It's the AC components that are under the LHS of the dash.
My mistake... had a same problem in my gypsy once and that solved the problem so assumed without thinking. Anyways, removed the glove compartment to check loose parts beneath the dash but couldn't find anything loose. Now will drive a few kms without the glove box to see if that is rattling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Congrats! You're going for EBC braking right? Pads or rotors or both?
Right now OEM. Then depending on how much budget i can allot, i will decide.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 20:13   #47
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,917 Times
Default

UPDATE: removed the glove box and put my hand inside the dash and felt everywhere for loose parts. Couldn't find any. I think will need to open the dash and find the fault.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 22:18   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
binz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 411 Times
Default

Hey doc,looks like I looked at this thread a wee bit too late. Car must really be a delight to drive! Why don't you get a nice suspension setup for street?

Later on, once that craving sets in,pick up the set of greddy headers that GTO has on his v-tec. Here they sell at 19.5k at a highly marked up store. Its only the 4-2-1 manifold but Ive heard it on Quicksilver's(Coimbatore) 1.5 city (v-tec muffler if im not wrong)and it was the most amazing exhaust note I had heard on a >1.6l car. Needless to mention that with only the exhaust and Air filter upgrade the car was flying on the track.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 09:26   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,917 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Hey doc,looks like I looked at this thread a wee bit too late. Car must really be a delight to drive! Why don't you get a nice suspension setup for street?

Later on, once that craving sets in,pick up the set of greddy headers that GTO has on his v-tec. Here they sell at 19.5k at a highly marked up store. Its only the 4-2-1 manifold but Ive heard it on Quicksilver's(Coimbatore) 1.5 city (v-tec muffler if im not wrong)and it was the most amazing exhaust note I had heard on a >1.6l car. Needless to mention that with only the exhaust and Air filter upgrade the car was flying on the track.
Thanks. What suspension setup are you talking about? Elaborate please. I'm happy with the custom headers that i have currently (and the exhaust note)...
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:31   #50
BHPian
 
Sunilb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai-Mumbai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Need mods on my OHC!!

Hey guys I have recently purchased an OHC Vtec Type-2 model and has all stock parts since the earlier owner who is a close relative did never try any custom mods on it. So its my job to get it done since driving an OHC without mods is a complete NO NO and mods were just in my mind when I went for the OHC! Also since the Suspensions/Exhausts have almost have had their part of life spent I think its the best time to give it a new lease of life.

I have'nt had much time to get to know the car condition but I got to know the problems from the p.owner which are very common ones at this stage of the OHC life which I've put down. Just to keep in mind that the car has done 94K.

1) The Suspensions have turned weak as the smallest pothole can be felt. Also the chassis bottom rubs on the speedbreakers if its not slowed down enough.

2) The car vibrates a lot on idle but I'm not sure its the suspensions again or its the Engine Foundatation.

3) The Exhaust which was replaced by some local garage has corroded and breaksdown frequently. (no details if the replaced one is stock or local brand)

4)The car jerks a lot on the 1st gear as if someone has dashed you from behind but smoothes out in the 2nd.

5) Need to get the Central Locking/Sparks/Filters etc replaced for sure.

Sounds like a Project na!!!!

I have not fixed any budget for the mods but have got a fairly good idea of the budget that would be reqd from the various related theads I have gone through. Thanks to you guys.

I am not insistent on any part brands or any garage. I would really want to make the car feel good and sound good after the mods are done.

I stay in Dubai but I'm planning to be back for 7-8days this May thats when I plan to do max of what can be done. I stay in Thane which is adjecent to Mumbai so going to any Mumbai Garage is no big deal.

So help me out guys contributing to this new thread cause all those countless mods threads have left me a bit confused.

Looking forward for your expert tips.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th March 2009 at 17:44. Reason: We have enough threads already discussing this, please continue here. Thanks
Sunilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 04:52   #51
BHPian
 
Ali G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 101
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Tejas,

You are on the absolute right path, however you could also consider a Stand Alone ECU instead of a remap. Headers are always part of a Free Flow. Porting Polishing definitely helps but would recommend you do it in the next stage as that would involve opening the head and would take min 3-4 days.

Iridium plugs & better wires definitely help but would not recommend them at this stage, maybe later when you mod the car further. The brake pads are EBC and definitely will improve your braking.

Cost will vary from tuner to tuner.

Hope this addresses your queries

Viper
I did pm you to initiate a similar query for my OHC but havent found a reply yet. Could you elaborate further on porting and polishing and everything it affects in turn. Also does switching to aftermarket headers solve the carbon forming and high rpm smoking issue in an aging or abused engine or could it be the busted piston rings? Im highly confused, SOS

Last edited by Ali G : 20th March 2009 at 04:54.
Ali G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 09:44   #52
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali G View Post
I did pm you to initiate a similar query for my OHC but havent found a reply yet. Could you elaborate further on porting and polishing and everything it affects in turn. Also does switching to aftermarket headers solve the carbon forming and high rpm smoking issue in an aging or abused engine or could it be the busted piston rings? Im highly confused, SOS
Hey,

Sorry buddy but I did not receive any PM from you.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:38   #53
BHPian
 
abhayshanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 694
Thanked: 168 Times
Default Suggest For OHC Mods

I am not going for crazy mods now as i am currently driving a wagon r and a city is already much more powerful.For now just basic but later on will get another car and will make this my project car.
Here are my plans :-

First and Foremost,a GTECH PRO SS
Free Flow with headers (4x2x1) from Automech for Rs 9500/-
Cold Air Intake K&N for Rs 15000/-
Strut Braces Rs 1250/-
Short Shifter (Price Unknown)
New iridium spark plugs (Please do suggest if i should or not?)
ECU remap or maybe a piggy back or a stand alone?i dont know but later on i will make this my project car so please do suggest what i should.
Light weight alloys (16" min) and some fat and very grippy Tubeless Radials.

For all i am ready to spend about 60k and i think i can get it in this.But the budget can be stretched to 70-80k.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:26   #54
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,917 Times
Default

There is already a thread started by me on OHC mods. Have a look.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ance-mods.html

Don't put 16" wheels. Bumpy ride and will take a huge toll on your suspension. Max go to 15"
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:51   #55
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default

in 60-70k the wheels and tyres will take about 30k.
you can get a free flow for about 9k.
a conical filter for about 5k. (IMO a cold air intake is no point)
now if you can spend 30k more get a remap from zakie.
strut braces can be got for about 1500 i think.

you do know that a gtech pro only times you right? it retails for abour 13k.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:52   #56
BHPian
 
abhayshanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 694
Thanked: 168 Times
Default

I have already read it,but i just want to know only these few things.not anything more.but i will go through it again to see if i have missed out on something.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:20   #57
BHPian
 
abhayshanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 694
Thanked: 168 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
in 60-70k the wheels and tyres will take about 30k.
you can get a free flow for about 9k.
a conical filter for about 5k. (IMO a cold air intake is no point)
now if you can spend 30k more get a remap from zakie.
strut braces can be got for about 1500 i think.

you do know that a gtech pro only times you right? it retails for abour 13k.
yes i do know that is why i want it first.as i will come to know exact power gains and also it will help in tuning.You are also using one so you should know.
Cold Air Intake makes sense as it will provide more power gain,and i know that it isnt good for everyday driving but i am not going to use the city everyday.will go by wagon r and like 4 times a week i will take city.And dude i told that i dont mind cleaning the intake even if i have to do it everyday(which i dont) so i really dont mind.
Free Flow for 9.5k,Cold Air Intake for 15k,strut for 1250 and plugs for 700 each.all i have asked.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:46   #58
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 384
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I am not going for crazy mods now as i am currently driving a wagon r and a city is already much more powerful.For now just basic but later on will get another car and will make this my project car.
Here are my plans :-

First and Foremost,a GTECH PRO SS
Free Flow with headers (4x2x1) from Automech for Rs 9500/-
Cold Air Intake K&N for Rs 15000/-
Strut Braces Rs 1250/-
Short Shifter (Price Unknown)
New iridium spark plugs (Please do suggest if i should or not?)
ECU remap or maybe a piggy back or a stand alone?i dont know but later on i will make this my project car so please do suggest what i should.
Light weight alloys (16" min) and some fat and very grippy Tubeless Radials.

For all i am ready to spend about 60k and i think i can get it in this.But the budget can be stretched to 70-80k.
I've just started some modding on my OHC and i've put up a thread here if you wanna see the rates i was quoted (Evolving my OHC - debate on pricing). I'd suggest you go for FFE from Raj Hingorani - it's costlier but seems to be an excellent build.
I wouldn't recommend going over 16" with the alloys - and like Tejas said it'll kill your suspension and/or your spine.
Put in the conical or cold air, but i prefer conical - cold air has a reputation for sucking in water as well, i don't want my engine to get liquid cooled.
Don't forget to use synthetic engine oil.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:01   #59
BHPian
 
abhayshanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 694
Thanked: 168 Times
Default

Ok guys it does make sense for not going over 15" if and only if it will kill the handling and damage the suspension,but if it is only for ride quality i really dont mind as i will be alone when i drive most of the time and a little reduced ride quality wont be much a deal,but i will install and take a test drive with 15" and then 16" and if i feel its ok,i will then try 17" also and decide which is best if there is no reduce in handling and/or damage to suspension.

But is it true that a CAI will suck in water?
Dont worry i will search the technical section but in the case i cant find,please do provide information.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:44   #60
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 384
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
But is it true that a CAI will suck in water?
Dont worry i will search the technical section but in the case i cant find,please do provide information.
CAI does have a probability to suck in water during heavy rains or when riding through a puddle. When water gets in the engine it gets siezed, known as Hydrolock. The effect is of compressing a bottle that holds air vs that holding water to the same level - the water filled bottle bursts.

There are three ways to prevent it:
  1. Put the CAI intake at such a position that has less chance of getting wet - in OHCs i believe this is at the side of the engine bay above the wheel arches.
  2. Use CAI in normal climes and remove the Cold Air extension during the monsoons.
  3. Use a bypass valve that prevents water from entering the engine.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City City Bang Bang! 1000 kms Report of my Honda City SMT roadie_swift Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 4th June 2015 15:52
Performance Exhaust & some other mods for the Honda CR-V 2.4 AT indra_slk Modifications & Accessories 26 28th August 2014 12:00
Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9) rider60 Motorbikes 155 29th August 2013 14:02
Performance Mods For City iDSI Vishesh Modifications & Accessories 37 24th May 2009 01:16
76mm Honda performance pistons, baleno performance cam & NOS kit for sale. mclaren1885 Shifting gears 6 16th September 2007 14:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks