Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 19th April 2009, 21:32   #106
Senior - BHPian

If you want to build a 350 whp car for under 10 lakhs, the easiest way to go is to buy a used RS and build it. The RS will also be a lot more stable at higher speed -- have driven modded RSs as well as OHCs. Aftermarket support will also be better in terms of suspension and braking. The internals are already forged.

The H22A has already been put into an OHC in India. The objective of the build is to hit 11.xx seconds AFAIK. And going by the person who is doing it, his driving skills, and the parts in stock, I think it's very much possible.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 22:00   #107
BHPian

Default New option, Maybe?

Okay, but isnt the RS a diesel? Also my initial budget is of 8 lacs from which i plan to spend 3 lacs on the car, 4 lacs on a high end SQL audio system and about 1 lac on FFE, CAI, rims and tubeless alloys and such small mods.

I got an idea, a thought after seeing a car, a particular car. I came home and asked my friend for how much does it go, and to my surprise it comes to about 5-6 lacs. I ma talking about none other that the second accord which came to india. It will definatly be better for mods, i am quite sure of that, but it is best left to the experts to comment and guide.

Will it be a good car in terms of mods, will it need a swap later on or can i just turbo it and reach 400 whp figures?
I have attached pic for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Performance Mods for the Ol' Honda City-19982000_honda_accord_sedan.jpg  

abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 22:12   #108
Senior - BHPian

No the RS is a petrol.

The old Accord is a good idea. H22 will fit easily into it.
Old 19th April 2009, 22:27   #109
BANNED

guys just wanted to know that would a rear wheel drive car be better for high bhp figures , i mean that is what ive personally heard from people that rear wheel drive cars are better if you're running a good number of ponies under the hood .?? just curious that would a rear wheel drive be better than a city ... for example maybe a german car that he could pick up like a bmw 3 series or so
accord masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 22:36   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord masters View Post
guys just wanted to know that would a rear wheel drive car be better for high bhp figures , i mean that is what ive personally heard from people that rear wheel drive cars are better if you're running a good number of ponies under the hood .?? just curious that would a rear wheel drive be better than a city ... for example maybe a german car that he could pick up like a bmw 3 series or so
it certainly would. but i doubt hed get a 3 series in that price. then again wouldnt modding the bimmer be more expensive than a honda?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 23:12   #111
BHPian

Rear wheel drive cars are much better.

How? this is how -
When we acclerate hard the weight is shifted to the rear, if the car is a FWD then the driving wheels loose traction where as in a RWD the driving wheels gain traction, hence resulting in much more grip of the rubber to the tarmac hence less burnouts resulting in greater accleration, this is best for any power level for a straight line drag, but for turning a not so over powered light car, the FWD is better as due to less weight the rear tyres loose grip and oversteer (great if you want to drift) and opposite with a FWD car which gains more grip if the car is light in weight, but the best for turning is a AWD, i.e All Wheel Drive, where all the wheels have power supplied to them, hence no oversteer or understeer (negligible) and great track times due to great turning.
Here the horse dont go up much so most cars are front wheel rive as to reduce cost also, but more expensive cars are equiped with RWD. If you are dont like the FWD system, get a lancer, swap the engine with a mivec and convert it to a AWD, then you can keep it on RWD on straight ways and AWD when you want the turning,this way you will get much greater power and handling running the engine in stock form.
Old 19th April 2009, 23:14   #112
BANNED

akshay i agree it would be costlier than the city but of all the experience i got with jap and germans id prefer germans for their stability ... well but ya ford rocam is an example of what the city can do but still there's that sense of safety that i personally have in a german car that is why i had chosen my e34 for the mod ( tho its not going according to plan but still) well anyways just had that jap vs. german question in mind . I think he might get a used 3 series for that much because i had a friend who had sold his bimmer for around 4lacs
cheers
accord masters
Old 20th April 2009, 00:29   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
the FWD is better as due to less weight the rear tyres loose grip and oversteer (great if you want to drift) and opposite with a FWD car which gains more grip if the car is light in weight, but the best for turning is a AWD, i.e All Wheel Drive, where all the wheels have power supplied to them, hence no oversteer or understeer (negligible) and great track times due to great turning
Wow, where are you getting this info? FWDs are 'great if you want to drift'? If you've driven an AWD, you'll know that at any normal speed, they understeer like crazy. On a tight turn, say a hairpin, a well balanced FWD would be quicker than an AWD. Please don't go by whatever you read on some random page.
Old 20th April 2009, 00:32   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord masters View Post
akshay i agree it would be costlier than the city but of all the experience i got with jap and germans id prefer germans for their stability ... well but ya ford rocam is an example of what the city can do but still there's that sense of safety that i personally have in a german car that is why i had chosen my e34 for the mod ( tho its not going according to plan but still) well anyways just had that jap vs. german question in mind . I think he might get a used 3 series for that much because i had a friend who had sold his bimmer for around 4lacs
cheers
accord masters
completely agree with you that it would be more stable. im sure your e34 will be done soon and itll be a quick car. all i was saying was that in his budget 7 lacs initially i dont think he would be able to get a good condition german car and modify it.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 00:50   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Wow, where are you getting this info? FWDs are 'great if you want to drift'? If you've driven an AWD, you'll know that at any normal speed, they understeer like crazy. On a tight turn, say a hairpin, a well balanced FWD would be quicker than an AWD. Please don't go by whatever you read on some random page.
Sorry dude what i wanted to say was that RWD are great for drifting not FWD.
Sorry for the mistake.
Also these things are not read on forums but experienced by me on my wagon r(FWD), Qualis(RWD) and a friend's safari(4WD).
Old 20th April 2009, 01:01   #116
Senior - BHPian

A Safari is 4WD, which is very different from AWD. Do you mean to say you drove your Safari on track to get 'great track times'?

If you are trying to compare handling, I suggest you don't try using either tall-boy hatches or diesel people-movers. A good set of benchmarks would be a FWD Mivec Lancer or Civic hatchback, an RWD Miata, an AWD Evo, or to go Indian, the Chevrolet Forester.
Old 20th April 2009, 01:05   #117
BANNED

great info dude... but in my case i wanted a fun drift around car as am wanting to learn this art i know would be a costly affair but its ok would be trying out on weekends or few times a month ... anyways wishing you luck for your project hope you get what you looking for.
@ akshay - true say that in 7 lacs it'll be hard to get a german and tune it so maybe if he could increase his budget or ya as he said for the AWD options .
Old 20th April 2009, 01:12   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
A Safari is 4WD, which is very different from AWD. Do you mean to say you drove your Safari on track to get 'great track times'?

If you are trying to compare handling, I suggest you don't try using either tall-boy hatches or diesel people-movers. A good set of benchmarks would be a FWD Mivec Lancer or Civic hatchback, an RWD Miata, an AWD Evo, or to go Indian, the Chevrolet Forester.
Sorry for sounding nob but i was just comparing what i had felt, i havnt really gotten to high performance cars, but thought that the basis would be the same.

Now back to topic, earlier viper mentioned that i can get a civic for 3 lacs? is this possible, if yes then which one and year, i really wont mind getting one of those.
Old 20th April 2009, 01:13   #119
Senior - BHPian

Old Civic, yes easily for 3 lakhs. 92-95 models, will come with about 100 hp stock. Ask Viper for details.
Old 20th April 2009, 01:17   #120
BHPian

Cant i get this kind?
Attached Images