Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 29th January 2009, 11:28   #1
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Default Scorpio Steering Wheel

Guys, I own a Scorpio 2.6 Dx (non-crde) and have been using it for 4+ years. I have started to hate the stock steering wheel. When you're tired on long trips, especially on bad roads, the steering wheel feels too fat and the palms of my hands start paining.

I want to know from the gurus if I can install a smaller dia aftermarket wheel and what are the options available ? I could not find anyone on the forum with an aftermarket steering wheel on the scorpio. Please let me know the possibilities on doing this. What are the prices (approx.) of these sport steering wheels ?
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 11:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Guys, I own a Scorpio 2.6 Dx (non-crde) and have been using it for 4+ years. I have started to hate the stock steering wheel. When you're tired on long trips, especially on bad roads, the steering wheel feels too fat and the palms of my hands start paining.
But why you hold steering tight with palms in first place ? Open palms with fingers on the spoke of steering wheel should also be just fine and it won't hurt your hands.
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 11:46   #3
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
But why you hold steering tight with palms in first place ? Open palms with fingers on the spoke of steering wheel should also be just fine and it won't hurt your hands.
there are no spokes on the stock wheel, and the middle 'fat' part is quite uncomfortable to use for a long time as well. i also find the wheel dia too big. a smaller wheel would do wonders, espoecially with the buttery-smooth effortless power steering on the scorpio.
Old 29th January 2009, 11:57   #4
BHPian

Reducing the steering wheel diameter would increase the effort required to move it. Even in small increments, it makes a lot of difference.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 14:40   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rather than a smaller dia steering wheel (which will increase effort), probably changing to a design more suitable to your driving style is better.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 14:47   #6
BHPian

Try steering knobs like this. This will to some extent relieves you
Attached Images

Last edited by aka_iitd : 29th January 2009 at 14:51.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 16:48   #7
NIP
Senior - BHPian

i'm not particular about a smaller dia, but a thinner, sportier wheel is what i need. what i want to know is if its possible to install an aftermarket wheel on the scorpio.