Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 2nd February 2009, 09:10   #1
BANNED

Smile Advice needed from experts on turbo

hi
all i needed fit a turbo in my yaris 1.6l
my idea is to make it turbo for daily drive not for racing
and i like to do mods as close as original fitting
i wanted to fit a smale turbo also i donot want to change original fuel injector and fuel pump
increase in horsepower 20bhp to 30bhp is enough for me
also i wanted to use either trd garrtee or any other turbo
can expert help me
regards
narry
narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

i think best way is to find a kit with a piggy back to manage fuel. is there a kit available for Yaris?
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:20   #3
BHPian

Turbo on a 1.6L NA car is not going to be easy. Firstly its NA so its probably a high compression motor.
So you need a nice and small turbo if your going to keep your pistons and block in one piece and not need to add an intercooler. You can try a Mitsubishi 12G/13G turbo with a 9lbs/min wheel with small hotside. I wouldnt go beyond 9lbs/min without an intercooler, especially on a high compression motor.

Now that you have selected a nice small turbo, your going to need to either modify your exhaust manifold or source a new manifold to mate with your turbo. Also while your at it, your going to need a new downpipe from the turbo to your catback exhaust. Since its a small turbo, you should be able to get away with keeping your stock catback exhaust, although it'll cost you power.

Next you need to figure out the flow rate for your injectors to be sure that they can handle the extra fuel needed for the turbo. Also you may need a new fuel pump to address the extra fuel pressure needs. Most factory injectors run at 70-80% IDC(Intake duty cycle) for safety. But in a turbo situation, your IDCs may easily shoot beyond 100% which is BAD.
Next your going to need a new intake pipe, intake filter and fit your MAF (Mass airflow sensor) to it. You will be limited on the diameter of the intake to the size of your MAF sensor, and the size of your turbo inlet. Also your going to need to fabricate a pipe from the turbo output to your intake manifold. In this pipe your going to need to add a pressure sensor that can sense the absolute manifold pressure, and change the ECU feul map.

Third and most important, your going to need a new ECU or a piggyback ECU that can switch between open loop(when your car measures the air volume and adds fuel) and closed loop(when your car uses the intake air pressure to determine how much feul to add).

Finally your going to need someone who can tune a turbo car.

For pure safety reasons, I'd get a wider set of wheel/tires, so you wont torque steer or wheel hop too much.

If you do decide to go ahead with this.. good luck with the project.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:00   #4
BANNED

Smile thanks prithwi 81

hi
thanks for all inputs
well i have decided to put 2.5 trd turbo
with intercooler and LSD also from trd but for street use not for raceing
already give deposite to order from japan
so have to wait for 2 weeks
to get the goods
will keep posted more info later
regards
narry
narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

that's pretty fast decision. I did a search on yaris turbo kits and there are quite a few bolt ons available. Which kit did you order? post updates.
check out memo's turbo sx-4 thread. i think he runs on stock injectors. but an upgrade will be better.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote