Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 4th March 2009, 18:29   #46
BHPian

Interesting stuff. Please update with as much information possible.
I was thinking along the same lines as I have a zen carb engine lying unused.

Hope you have great fun working on the project.
Gtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 18:40   #47
ECM
BHPian

Rating 5 * to this thread,keep it up nikhilv.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 18:50   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

amazing project going there.
Is this is the same engine from your ex-swift(not sure if you've sold it or still have it)
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 22:40   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The first couple of pictures - with the plastic chair and two dudes steering - are classics. If ever there was a symbol of crazy petrolheads, this has got to be it.

Congratulations! Good luck with the project.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 10:14   #50
BHPian

excellent work going on there.good luck with the project buddy. am keenly watching this thread.BTW those pics are very interesting.
chipfoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 21:50   #51
BHPian

First of all, thank you all for taking so much interest in my project and sorry for a late reply.
lately there had been a lot of confusions about the suspension. Initially i was thinking of making 2 'A' arms for supporting the wheel hub. But unfortunately, couldn't find anyone who could make them for me, so ended up buying lower arms of an M800.
The idea was to use two arms per wheel, one above the axle and another below.
To do this, i had to get the Knuckle joint modified to make a provision for fixing the suspension arm above the axle. After searching almost the whole city, Mr. Ravi, who owns a lathe shop in Ariyashala agreed to do the job. He was very helpful and did a neat job.

So finally i fixed up the rear suspension. The front suspension will be done in 2 days time.

The drive shafts will have to be extended and as suggested earlier by ananthkamath, i bought high strength steel tubeand will be giving the drive shafts for TIG welding this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Nikhil am I correct in assuming you will use the engine with the front axle drive gearbox directly as opposed to getting a rear output gearbox for the engine and connect to a diff?

If the former you could perhaps install the front suspension at the rear and lock the hubs cancelling the steering movement? This way you have four wheel independent suspension

Would recommend getting the battery up front. Where is the fuel tank coming? Under the seat?
yes DKG, i am going to make 4 wheel independent suspension. And the battery and fuel tank will also come in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hey nikhilv12,

Super!!! Thanks a ton for that picture. Could you please post a link of where you got it from?
Thank you Rehan.
Sorry i found this pic, searching in google for similar projects. so i dont really remember where i got it from. That link didnt have any technical deteails, so i didnt bother to note it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Hey Nikhil, Great idea nice start was wondering when i saw the 1st pick your frame box sections seem to thick unless it is an off roader. You mentioned sports car I think that frame is too thick even the picture of the semi complete rolling chassis you posted has thinner box section of the frame. This would save weight and you get something that moves faster. My friend turning shop was used to make the Mumbai caterhams and they too had smaller round pipes. And yes once you go smaller box sections you want more cross braces to make it strong and rigid enough. Just my two bits
Thank you cannonball for your sugessions. But the sections ive used are of 18 gauge, which are pretty light weight. The main reason for using 2" square pipes is for ease of fixing all the parts on to the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The first couple of pictures - with the plastic chair and two dudes steering - are classics. If ever there was a symbol of crazy petrolheads, this has got to be it.

Congratulations! Good luck with the project.
Thank you GTO.

Here are some pics of the progress.
Attached Images

Last edited by nikhilv12 : 15th March 2009 at 21:51.
nikhilv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 22:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

oh! god. Dont think i would ever understand any of these!!!! But they look Really good. Keep up the good work.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 22:23   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilv12 View Post

The drive shafts will have to be extended and as suggested earlier by ananthkamath, i bought high strength steel tubeand will be giving the drive shafts for TIG welding this week.
Make sure the TIG welder uses the correct filler wire. TIG welders generally carry SS fillers and die steel fillers. I dont remember the grade of filler we used to weld the A arms, but I'm sure a little googling or a visit to Lincoln electrics site will help you out.

What size bolts have you used at the upper inboard points of the rear suspension, because the damper;s mounting bolt looks like it is in single shear.
harsh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 22:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh87 View Post
Make sure the TIG welder uses the correct filler wire. TIG welders generally carry SS fillers and die steel fillers. I dont remember the grade of filler we used to weld the A arms, but I'm sure a little googling or a visit to Lincoln electrics site will help you out.

What size bolts have you used at the upper inboard points of the rear suspension, because the damper;s mounting bolt looks like it is in single shear.
Ya sure harsh. Will check that out. But then seriously speaking, i dont have any other option. There is only guy in the whole of TVM who does TIG welding, to the best of my knowledge.

I have used 12mm bolts for the arms. I have used the same bolt for the arm and the dampers.
Old 15th March 2009, 23:02   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikhil, i think you need to re do the suspension of the car. The twin I arms don't look robust enough. It might not prevent fore and aft wheel movement.

How about making a bracket for the mcpherson strut mount on the upper chasis rail and using the mcpherson strut with the lower I arm alongwith a stabiliser bar like the front suspension of the zen. That would take care of the spring, damper and wheel location.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 23:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Nikhil, i think you need to re do the suspension of the car. The twin I arms don't look robust enough. It might not prevent fore and aft wheel movement.
To prevent that there will be a third arm which will be connected to the knuckle joint where the steering tie rod is connected. I guess that should take care of the problem.
Old 16th March 2009, 07:02   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilv12 View Post
To prevent that there will be a third arm which will be connected to the knuckle joint where the steering tie rod is connected. I guess that should take care of the problem.
Ideally you should use the pre existing holes on the lower arms which originally took the stabiliser bar ends. The upper lower arm hole is free, so why don't you try out the Maruti Omni's front suspension stabiliser rods to triangulate the upper arm with the frame. Omni has independent stabiliser rods, not like the one piece antirollbar cum stabiliser unit of the 800/Zen.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 18:00   #58
TOR
BHPian

Wow great work, and to realize that this is happening somewhere nearby makes it that more special.

Would certainly like a TD when the work is complete!

Good luck and keep updating.
TOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 18:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Omnigosh..thats one hell of a Mad Max machine you have there.You should give the Project a name for sure..Say Project T-Rex..something of that sort.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 18:21   #60
Senior - BHPian

I looked really hard and the headers look like a 4x2x1 design.
I suggest you switch to 4x1 headers since the weight is gonna be real low and also you'll gain quite a bit at the top.
PS: Nice racing slicks
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote