LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 15:41   #1
BHPian

Default Maruti 800 (1996) - Engine + Suspension Overhaul

I just got my 800 overhauled which includes
1. Full Engine Overhaul
2. Suspension Overhaul
3. Dent / Paint (Partial)
4. Miscellaneous work (Changed Roof, Door boards etc)

The total cost for all this was 16K. Attaching complete part vs cost details.

Hope I spent the right amount.

I have a few queries on post overhaul experience, from the Gurus and would be obliged to learn from you.

Queries
1. I don't feel any exceptional increase in pick up (BHP) of the car. My mechanic told me that pre overhauling my car was eating up on the engine oil and a car delivers more power (BHP) if consuming extra engine oil. Need advice. Is that correct?? My observation is that it is producing the same amount of power as it was before the overhaul.
2. I feel that the torque (if I am correct), has improved. I say this because pre overhaul i had to switch to 2nd gear at speeds below 35-40Km but i can easily drive at 40Km with 3rd and 4th gear now (without any knocking noise). Is my observation correct??
3. I was expecting a 20-30% increase in the power of my car after the overhaul (less technically and more emotionally). As I haven't found that increase, would need advise on what can be done to improve the power of this car. I already have read some of the threads suggesting change in filter (K&N), Iridium Spark plugs etc. If I could get advice on the cheapest way to do that, as i have already spent 16K this month.
4. What can be done for Sound Damping for this car as it has a lot of rattling noise? I have already changed the Window Glass channels (On which the window panes move), Door panels (Card board).

Thanking you in anticipation
Attached Files
File Type: xls CAR OVERHAUL.xls (26.0 KB, 1484 views)
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th February 2009, 02:14   #2
BHPian

Hi Santsharan

Hey that turned out to be really cheap man..

Engine overhaul for just 7k ..did the leth job include porting an polishin of the heads..

Could you post some pics of the car after the overhaul with the changed roof and door boards pics and the outer body pic

and how is the suspension after the overhaul is it better..and the front shocks that u replaced are they gabriel ones..

Please let me know with the details
Tazzy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 12:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy Boy View Post
Hi Santsharan

Engine overhaul for just 7k ..did the leth job include porting an polishin of the heads..

Could you post some pics of the car after the overhaul with the changed roof and door boards pics and the outer body pic

and how is the suspension after the overhaul is it better..and the front shocks that u replaced are they gabriel ones..

I was not personally present at the Leth Job but they told me that it was polished. Will post the pics soon.

I felt a considerable difference in my suspension. All 4 shockers were Gabriel and for the rear ones, I used Gabriel (Gas Filled Ones - Blue color).
Old 25th February 2009, 23:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Santsharan

Its standard man. Chek this thread by yours truly.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-project.html (2lac+ kilometers m800 engine rebuild project.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santsharan View Post
Queries
1. I don't feel any exceptional increase in pick up (BHP) of the car. My mechanic told me that pre overhauling my car was eating up on the engine oil and a car delivers more power (BHP) if consuming extra engine oil. Need advice. Is that correct?? My observation is that it is producing the same amount of power as it was before the overhaul.
2. I feel that the torque (if I am correct), has improved. I say this because pre overhaul i had to switch to 2nd gear at speeds below 35-40Km but i can easily drive at 40Km with 3rd and 4th gear now (without any knocking noise). Is my observation correct??
3. I was expecting a 20-30% increase in the power of my car after the overhaul (less technically and more emotionally). As I haven't found that increase, would need advise on what can be done to improve the power of this car. I already have read some of the threads suggesting change in filter (K&N), Iridium Spark plugs etc. If I could get advice on the cheapest way to do that, as i have already spent 16K this month.
4. What can be done for Sound Damping for this car as it has a lot of rattling noise? I have already changed the Window Glass channels (On which the window panes move), Door panels (Card board).

Thanking you in anticipation
1. Do not rev the engine too hard until atleast 3000kms.
2. change the oil at between 1000kms and 2000kms.
3. Do a complete valve tuning and retorquing the bolts at 1st change of oil.

Pickup depends upon how good the head job was done. and how skilled the mechanic who did the assembling was.

Porting and polishing is a specilaized job if done properly can very much excced the factory figure.

If you are still not satisfied do a compression test at any mass and match the figures with default ones. At MASS they will have a databook.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 15:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

the prices are very good. did they carry out the valve lapping and other head works? please check the compressions of each cylinder. have you done any block boring, upsize pistons etc?
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:27   #6
BHPian

Can you post some snaps. ! Also a video, would be great.
yatinchoubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 14:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its standard man. Chek this thread by yours truly.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-project.html (2lac+ kilometers m800 engine rebuild project.)

1. Do not rev the engine too hard until atleast 3000kms.
2. change the oil at between 1000kms and 2000kms.
3. Do a complete valve tuning and retorquing the bolts at 1st change of oil.

Pickup depends upon how good the head job was done. and how skilled the mechanic who did the assembling was.

Porting and polishing is a specilaized job if done properly can very much excced the factory figure.

If you are still not satisfied do a compression test at any mass and match the figures with default ones. At MASS they will have a databook.
Thanks for the advice. I will follow the same however as I am very new to automobiles and don't understand the technical terms could you please tell me what does "Valve Tuning" & "Retorquing the bolts" mean, in simple terms so that I can explain to my local mechanic. As per your thread, you retorqued the bolts @ 280Kms which means I am late in doing so. Will go to the mechanic immediately after understanding this from you.

I have done over 500Kms now without doing anything after the overhaul and observed that the engine sound is becoming louder....couldn't hear the engine sound for the first 300kms....was very quiet. Is it normal?
Old 27th February 2009, 14:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
the prices are very good. did they carry out the valve lapping and other head works? please check the compressions of each cylinder. have you done any block boring, upsize pistons etc?
Being new to Automobiles and its related terms, not sure what Valve Lapping means. Sir Alec suggested Valve Tuning...also not sure if Valve Tuning and Valve Lapping are the same. Please advise.

As for the head a lathe job was done and polishing was also done. And for the pistons I think they have used the normal sized ones

I hope the Layman language I use doesn't confuse any of you guys.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
I joined this forum the day I gave my car for an overhaul. Didn't have any idea that taking pictures of the overhaul step by step could turn out to be such a fun and good for collection of old memories. Sorry I didn't take any pics of videos during the rebuild.

However, I surely will take pictures of the New roof, Door panels etc that I installed on top of the overhaul. Will post shortly.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Santsharan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
Hey Tazzy Boy / Yatinchoubal,

Attaching a few pics for you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 (1996) - Engine + Suspension Overhaul-choupal1388.jpg  

Maruti 800 (1996) - Engine + Suspension Overhaul-choupal1390.jpg  

Maruti 800 (1996) - Engine + Suspension Overhaul-choupal1391.jpg  

Maruti 800 (1996) - Engine + Suspension Overhaul-choupal1392.jpg  

Maruti 800 (1996) - Engine + Suspension Overhaul-choupal1393.jpg  

Old 5th March 2009, 13:24   #11
BHPian

1. Need help in understanding the terms in simple language - "Valve Tuning / Valve Lapping" & "Retorquing the bolts". Someone please help as I have tried googling for these terms and what I found mostly is Teambhp threads which I have already gone through. I asked my local mechanic and he didn't have any clue about this. The only thing he told me was that I need to change the oil after 1000Kms. Please help so that I can proceed in getting this done.

2. For increase in power, would changing the filter to a K&N one and the spark plugs to Iridium do any justice or is it just for smooth functioning of the car?

3. After the overhaul i noticed a peculiar noise coming from under the steering, mostly on bumps and bad roads. Mechanic said that the Axel needs to be replaced as it has gone bad. Is there a possibility of Axel going bad so fast as before giving the car for overhaul there was no such noise. The only noise from the Axel was while turning the car on deep curves. Now, it makes noise on every bump it encounters, be it while turning or driving straight.

4. Summers approaching so need to get the A/C serviced. I have a sanden Aircon fitted with the condenser in the rear (next to silencer). Need advice on what all should be done apart from cleaning the condenser, changing the coolant gas. In one of the threads it was suggested to use double condenser (one in the engine bay and other in the rear). Would adding a condenser in the front add up to the existing cooling? If yes, which condenser & how much cost?

Waiting for your valuable advice.
Old 14th March 2009, 11:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

1) While rebuilding the engine, the valve and valve seats need to be seated properly. This process is called valve lapping. This is one time job and once done properly you dont have to worry.

Once the engine is set, the valve clearance needs to be set according to the specs, ideally when the engine is cold. This i called valve clearance setting. This has to be checked and adjusted once the engine has run around 1000 kms.

Similarly the engine head bolts and likes have to retorqued to specs after the car has run around 1000 kms, so that there is no leakages and mis alignment in the long run. This is retorquing for a newly built engine.

2) Changing to K&N stock replacement will give you slightly better breathing and very mild change in power delivery. Good part is they are easy to clean and can be reused for about a lakh kms, so you make up the initial expenditure.

Iridium are absolute waste of money for a stock engine. Buy a genuine set of stock NGK plugs and you will be happy with it.

3) I think you are referring to drive shaft sound, generally shows up while the steering is turned and worsens to a situation even on straight steering input. Can happen if the shafts are old/the boot covers are damaged. Ideally replace it for peace of mind in the long run.

But if sound is when on broken road, then do a check up of steering and suspension.

4) AC service is advisable, AC condenser ideally should sit in front of radiator so that it gets cool draft of air from the front. Seen it fit in Omni's under the car, but this is more to do with space & design constrain of the van. You dont need 2 condensers, just fit it as in any other stock 800. A good AC workshop can help you with service and refit if required.

Will appreciate a pic of current ac installation to have a clearer picture of what you are referring to.

Hope this helps.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 12:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hope this helps.
Thanks in abundance Man ! ! ! This has been the most awaited reply of my life. I had almost lost it waiting for an explanation. You won't believe it but I didn't go to my mechanic to check what he had to offer as an explanation and was waiting for fellow members to guide before I go see him. And daily wait for a reply, drive the car with the said problems and get depressed even more. Thanks again sir. It surely helped a great deal.

From your replies I understand -
1) Valve Lapping would already be done during the rebuild so no need to worry about that. Will get the Valve Clearance done. Hope my mechanic (Local not MASS) would understand what it means.
2) Will check the cost & availability of K&N filter and get it installed ASAP. Are there any dos and don'ts for using K&N filter? Like driving in rains, dusty environment etc.
3) My mechanic asserts that the sound is due to a faulty Axel. However, will take a second opinion and will replace whatever is required.
4) Will post the Pics very soon.

One more query - Being a Newbie I don't have the privilege to PM or contact any member. In case I post a reply (like post the pics of my AC installation), is there a way so that my reply gets noticed by you guys. I honestly didn't like the idea of posting a NOTE in some other thread to help me on this thread. Hope I am not sounding stupid by asking this
Old 6th May 2009, 11:18   #14
BHPian

Finally, I had to switch over to MASS as my local mechanic wouldn't understand the terms used in this forum (read Technical). But now i know MASS is peace of mind. They are exceptionally trained.

Here's what i've got done in the past 1 month.
  1. AC serviced (R134A recharge, Complete cleaning of blower, Nitrogen pressure cleaning of AC coils)
  2. Got the Valve Clearance Settings done as per the specs.
  3. Switched from normal engine oil to Castrol Magnatek and the results are very pleasing. Engine sound has completely changed in a pleasant way.
  4. As for the sound on bad roads, it was definitely due to the suspension. Got the Damping Kit, bushes etc changed and the sound is gone now.
Thanks to all of you guys who helped me in understanding the terms and suggesting the right way.

Need some help on a new problem that i encountered. Ever since the overhaul the car engine used to stop abruptly while running and the mechanic told me that it would happen for a few hundered kms. However, it keeps on happening every now and then. After insisting on diagnosing the problem, my mechanic told me that the car engine is getting "Over" (read extra petrol) and thats why it stops.
He changed some pin through which the petrol is passed to the carburetter. Since then the problem has reduced but still occurs once a while.

Please suggest what could be the cause?

I checked with MASS during the service and they said that a carburetter overhaul is needed but i already got it done during the overhaul.

Should i get it done again?