Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 01:31   #1
BHPian

Default Tint places in Hyderabad

Hi guys, I want to have dark tint put on my Accord. As of now, the windows and windscreen are clear but I'm feeling the need for tint due to.....er...security reasons.

So I wanted to know two things:

a) Does anyone advise against dark tint, especially on the windscreen?
b) What's the best place to have glasses tinted in Hyderabad/Secunderabad and what's the average cost?

Thanks in advance!

Old 2nd March 2009, 10:40   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Hi guys, I want to have dark tint put on my Accord. As of now, the windows and windscreen are clear but I'm feeling the need for tint due to.....er...security reasons.

So I wanted to know two things:

a) Does anyone advise against dark tint, especially on the windscreen?
b) What's the best place to have glasses tinted in Hyderabad/Secunderabad and what's the average cost?

Thanks in advance!
Dark Tints: You run against the law of the land if the VLT% is less than 70% on front and rear and <50% on the sides. However, given that my brief experience in Hyd seems to suggest that Cops only harass the motorcycle guys and leave the cars (unlike NCR) - your choice. However the practical problem of visibility in night and rains should be a consideration with such an expensive car.

I did some research recently, V-Kool seems to be blue-ribbon stuff and dealers quoted from a range of 6k to 54K (yes, you read right!) for varying combinations. I skipped that and checked Llumar and 3M which are what I would call budget range. My primary objective was heat reduction in coming Hyd summers for front and rear. So I looked at 70% VLT compliant options with heat reduction factors. It runs like this
hEAT REJECTTION
3M CR70 50% (clear super premium)
3M RE70 34% (clear premium but metallic)
3M SP70 23% (true budget range)
Llumar AIR 75 39% (clear - windscreen film)
Llumar PP70 38% (silver sputtered)

There are 1-2% differences in UV and IR rejection rates - guess 1-2% may not make much of a difference.

3M CR70 is new film and not available with every mom and pop store. 3M guys from Bangalore advised me to go and get it done at Car Jewels at Minister Road in Secundrabad. 040-66331055, 9391053916 . Non negotiated price range was 13K for CR70 on front and rear and CR50 on the sides.

Llumar guys can come and install at home also, however give a call to Ramesh Nagpal at 09246522002. He is the autorised dealer and his agency Ambica Auto is again at Minister Road in Secundrabad. He told me that they have stopped installing PP70 because of "some" problems and will recommend AIR75. With AIR75 front and rear and steel50 on sides, I was quoted something like 9K to 11K (cant remember exactly)

In terms of pricing - CR70 and AIR75 will turn out to be in same range - there seems to be no single MRP that I could find and people will quote from 5K to 9K for front and rear.

I live too far away from secundrabad - so I went to Xenex in Hitech City near Madhapur Police Station. He has a bad reference which I showed him (you can search the forum for XENEX) and he wanted to make amends - however the jury is still out on how good a job he did as with RE70 film I have "halo" effect as of now. He seems to be authorized dealer for V-KOOL and has a large stock - however note that he takes off the side glasses for film installation and puts is back - I wonder whether you will trust your accord for this. Since there is no airtight room there - chances of dust ect getting trapped in windscreen film installation are high. All in all - if you can avoid this guy - do so. BTW he refused to arrange for CR70 on a days notice as he refused to acknowledge the existence of such a film.

Llumar person also told the same that while they can come home and install, they recommended taking the car to their shop in secundrabad.

I used to drive Accord in Middle East with a colour-less film in high temperatures - and it worked quite well - so I wonder unless your security concerns override tinted vs colour-less film - why break the law...

Please search the forums - I am sure there are more experienced Pros than me on this area.

Cheers
R
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:29   #3
BHPian

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a prompt and extensive reply. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

I'll get in touch with the Minister Road guys. Many thanks for the tip-off about XENEX. One of my friends suggested that because he'd seen the board or something and it was close by. Definitely not going there now.
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:47   #4
BHPian

No probs, mate - do let me know your experience with Minsiter road shops - I want to be sure about tinting for my next vehicle.
Cheers
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:23   #5
BHPian

It was really a good suggestion "adzegeek". Even I've been looking for sun films in Hyd for my Optra. I've consulted 2 car accessories shop in Gachibowli area but I'm not yet convinced. However, I've planned to go with V-Kool cos ultimately, it'll last long.
V-Kool 70 for front & rear with below specs:
PRODUCT SPECS Visible Light Transmission
70.0%
Visible Light Reflectance
8.0 %
Ultra-Violet Rejection
99.0%
Infra-red Rejection
94.0%
Total Solar Energy Rejection
55.0%
Shading Coefficient

& V-Kool for sides with specs:
PRODUCT SPECS Visible Light Transmission
43.0%
Visible Light Reflectance
10.0%
Ultra-Violet Rejection
99.0%
Infra-red Rejection
98.0%
Total Solar Energy Rejection
65.0%
Shading Coefficient

I feel this will suffice AP's heat. All I'm looking for is some help regarding reliable agencies in Madhapur/GachiBowli or nearby areas (not sec'bad as it'll be too far)

Sorry to ask here but, what kinda dualtone horn can I go for my Optra? I was given options for different versions of Hella varying from 900-1500/- I was thinking to go for skoda types but I'm not sure. Kindly advice.

Thanks
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:58   #6
BHPian

Also, I think Xenex guy is charging as per the MRP. I asked for the rates of V70 from different vendors (including Xenex)
other vendors quoted me 6500/- (for side + rear) & Xenex guy tells 10900/-
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:50   #7
BHPian

There's a glass store in the bus tickets wala lane adjacent to Paradise. He does a really good installation.
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:01   #8
BHPian

I have got AIR75 installed on my Cedia. I have it on my wind shield, rear glass and all the window glasses.

Its more than a year now and every thing is fine. I got it done @ Ambica in minister road. I was given a 5 year installation warranty i.e. if the film comes out or air bubbles form, he said he will replace it FOC. I was charged 13k for every thing.
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:13   #9
BHPian

Hey f450,

I got my car's front screen tinted last month at Twisters with a 75%(Llumar)visibility tint, it isn't that dark though but yes the ac cools much faster in this heat.

They charged me pretty decent 1k, check this place out..he has a lot of options.

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous View Post
I feel this will suffice AP's heat. All I'm looking for is some help regarding reliable agencies in Madhapur/GachiBowli or nearby areas (not sec'bad as it'll be too far)
Thanks
Rendezvous, I couldnt find anyone reliable and referenceable around Madhapur/Gachibowli and went to Xenex because the shop seemed "Big" (and expensive - with the underlying assumption that they will do a good job). The V-kool spec you have got looks good. All I can say is that after my experience, I think I should have gone to Secbad and got it done at a better shop.
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
There's a glass store in the bus tickets wala lane adjacent to Paradise. He does a really good installation.
Is it a car accessories shop or some hardware shop? Could you be more specific on the work your specifying? Is it just for installations or even the pricing of tints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Torque View Post
Hey f450,

I got my car's front screen tinted last month at Twisters with a 75%(Llumar)visibility tint, it isn't that dark though but yes the ac cools much faster in this heat.

They charged me pretty decent 1k, check this place out..he has a lot of options.

Cheers
1k???
Old 30th March 2009, 13:39   #12
BHPian

Default Llumar near Kondapur

There is a new sunfilm shop who deals only in Llumar just before Kondapur crossing if you are coming from Gachibowli - 50 meters after crossing Chirec school turn.

Seems eager to please and is flexible. any new installation reports from this shop? Some folks who want to avoid Xenex and live chose to Hi-tec/Gachibowli may want to give him a try.

Cheers
Old 29th January 2010, 16:56   #13
BHPian

'Car Jewel' on the Minister's Road, just beside KIMS Hospital is a good place to get the sun control films and other accessories in your car. They are the authorised dealers for 3M sun control films. I got the front windscreen sun film from here and was happy with the work.

'Pitstop' at Raj Bhavan Road, Somajiguda, is another good place to get the sun films and car accessories. I got 3M film on the side and rear windscreens from here for my car recently. They also had other brands sun control films with them.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
'Car Jewel'..'Pitstop'..
Kalyan, Any good 3M dealer in Hyderabad for getting the CR series installed. What will be the quote for 3M CR series if I want it to be installed on ANHC i.e. CR40/CR50 for sides, rear and CR70 for front?

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion in the general Sun Film thread.[/b]

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2010 at 09:58. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread