Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 6th May 2005, 18:20   #1
Unhappy Can i fit a Epicenter Bass Maximizer for this?

Hi guys i am planning to upgrade the audio system in my GTX. I have made a list of all the stuff i have got

I can spend about 30k on upgrades. I need to know what stuff i can use and what i could sell off and what to buy.

Headunit - Pioneer 7xxxMP mp3 player

Speakers - xpld 165mm up front

Amplifiers - Xplod 4*40W RMS
Blaupunkt MPA 2 2*80W RMS

Sub woofers - Blaupunkt bass tube 80W RMS
Pioneer free air 150W RMS (removed from car now)

I am planning to go for boston acoustics components in the front.

Now the question is will the audio control's Epicenter Bass Maximizer work with this setup? I heard the bass maximizer boosts the bass so much that you need to have on an average 30% more amplifier power and atleast one 1F capacitor to get the maximum bang!

Will my current system take a Epicenter or shall i sell off the subs and one of the amps and get a sub+amp for 20k?

which would be better

1. Current setup + epicenter
2. New sub + amp for 20k
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 00:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

the epicenter as i understand it works by trying to predict the sub harmonic signals and generating these predicted signals. it can hence produce a lot of very low frequency stuff. this LF energy will strain your amps and in a conventional car that is used for other purposes than competition i dont see how much of this energy is reall required. road noise tends to mask some of this energy. in addition to this some or all of your quarter panels and doors might need deading (lead sheets is one way). However there is one caeveat. the epicenter can be tuned and if used very judiciously can improve the bass.

I would go so far as to say that the best way to use such a product is to mate it to a very big amp and sealed subs. I would recomend atleast 200W rms 4 ohms or 400W rms 2 ohms for the amps and atleast 2 12" or 15" sealed boxes. the reason for this is that atleast part of any bloom that the epicenter generates will be tamed by the sealed subs. forums like sounddomain, caraudio, carstereo.org, etc... have much more on this topic that i can cover here.

to quote one review "The hpx doesnt work as well as it should. It messes up the bass, makes it sound bloated and unrefined. seems to boost the bass around 100hz, and maybe acts like an epicenter, I dont really like that effect in my soundquality system. A little goes a long way for the effect, I would like less of it available."

i would recommend a good parametric EQ. these dont try to do too much and mess around with psychoacousics (a la Bose).

Last edited by navin : 7th May 2005 at 00:31.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote