Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 14th April 2009, 20:51   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Err. I'm a li'l confused. As per ACI, the stock Elantra without any add-ons was supposed to do 0-100 in 11.62 secs. From the figure, it shows an 11.68 sec run for the Elantra with Pete's stage II.
What boost are you running?
I guess this is the first time we are testing with a vbox. And these are the figures coming out.

My car was giving a 0-100 of 12.2 seconds on the vbox(petes box and k&n), to give a comparison to the timings posted by raj. Not sure why we are not anywhere near the Autocar figures, but my best guess is my car has 1 Lakh kilometers plus on the Odo, and it has slowed down.

But, these figures dont really explain how fast the car is on the road or an expressway/4-lane. The in gear acceleration is still tremendous, and it still is faster on road than almost anything else I run into normally. We should try testing that next I guess, and I mean the roll on times. Maybe those will look more impressive.

Ps. Now I am sure that the dynolicious software is absolute junk. Time to get a vbox.
tadukuttan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 21:09   #182
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

What is EGT??
Exhaust Gas Temperatures. too high, and we could damage the turbo right?
In this elantra's case, they are trying to run it rich by increasing the fuelling.

And when you said, diesels always run lean, do you mean stock? because if we mod it to increase fuelling, there is no way for the ECU to compensate by checking with a lambda sensor kind of arrangement.

all electronic mods make diesels run rich to some extent right?
So coming back to the initial question- which is better for the Diesel engine EGTs, running rich, or running lean?

EDIT
@Tadu- 0-100 has too many variables in it to give consistent results. will wait for the 3rd or 4th gear pull.

I thought, that was the safest and easiest way to play with fuelling, by monitoring the EGTs, am I right?

Last edited by rippergeo : 14th April 2009 at 21:11.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 22:24   #183
BHPian

If I were you, I would not question the timings the V-Box gives!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
diven_b;1260111]are you sure about your 9.9 sec time.satge 1 remapped lauras do a 0-100 in about 9 sec[/b]

Finally someoone accepted the fact that the dynolicious software is utter crap!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Ps. Now I am sure that the dynolicious software is absolute junk. Time to get a vbox.

@tadu: Now! your comments leave me slightly confused, didn't you just test your car on a V-Box. What makes you say that this does not give a clear picture of how fast your car is on the road or on an expressway?

If I get it right, be it an expressway or any road, you would still be doing a 12.2 secs to 100 no matter what!

Quote:
My car was giving a 0-100 of 12.2 seconds on the vbox(petes box and k&n), to give a comparison to the timings posted by raj.
But, these figures dont really explain how fast the car is on the road or an expressway/4-lane.
On a lighter note!! faster only till you dont have the red monster around you!!

Quote:
The in gear acceleration is still tremendous, and it still is faster on road than almost anything else I run into normally.
With these figs, I guess there ain't any doubt left within my mind that for outright performance the standalone EMS's are always better than remaps/ piggybacks!
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 22:28   #184
BHPian

@Brraj dude you do know about my situation right??
what all stuff is goin on here?? didnt i clear all your doubts?? if you have anything more just buzz or PM me.! i thought you had got the turbo thing checked out from you know who

and @ripper buddy . diesel engine exhaust gas temperatures are generally not that high as petrol engine exhaust gases thats why initially VGT were never used in gasoline engines..later using special aircraft grade material VG turbo was made and porsche cars used VGT!

diesels always run lean.

the CRDI engine heads are designed to always have the best airflow volume. we are dealing with multiple injections here.! not a single injection as in gasoline! ( this is why i tend to agree with mclaren on the P & P opinion of his on diesel heads! head P & P jobs will certainly lead to alteration in injection spray pattern. which is nothing but danger!!)

and yes coming to the emission maps. removing them is very much possible and easy but that will make all the boxes available out there illegal in the European countries!! ( not actually. there is an option of paying more tax and driving a lower euro rated vehicle!! but still its illegal!) hence it is not done. but yeah there are problems with that. but that is tech stuff and i cant share it here!

the same applies for the FAS maps!( main issue is engine will be run rich by the ECU which is not good for the engine and the OEM guys limit it) and from commercial view the vehicle will fail the CDST test. which will again make it illegal on the road!! but in india it will be ok i guess. llol. but hey tell me.who will buy a box or whatever which makes your car smoke like hell???

lets all chill till the full setup is running shall we?
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 22:40   #185
BHPian

half of the posts went above my head in this thread escpecially sameel's...was he chatting or posting excellent knowledge though!
well with the latest vbox timings out for the boosted elantra, i really want to ask whether is it really worth the effort. The reason i'm asking this question is because i wanted to start on a new project of acquiring a FAST car as a daily drive(have to travel in excess of 75kms daily, so vRS would kill me). And i was really contemplating on acquiring an elantra CRDi and then pete it. Now if a petefied elantra would take 12 odd secs to hit the ton then would it not be better if i stick to OHC which is my current daily drive car. It still can clock 100 in 11 odd secs if not better. Or am i really missing a point here??
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 22:44   #186
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post

diesels always run lean.
I dont get it.
They always run lean OR
they are best when they run lean OR
They should run lean but the ratio can be played around with.

if it is the first, then why bother with electronic mods that change the AFR to a richer mixture?

all the diesel mods that I've seen/read about seem to push for a richer mixture
tuning boxes/remaps/bigger injectors.

@ashish22- I'm not sure if the OHC will give you the in gear accleration of an elantra. or the general feel of all that torque. or the diesel economy
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 22:54   #187
BHPian

@ anish i dont want to sound like a nerd techie so the posting style

the whole point of the elantra is the cruising part you will be able to cruise at 160-180kmph with no sweat just with a petes stage two setting! a bigger intercooler will help. but that will need the boost controller to get that insane shove from 100-200kmph!!

satya was playing around with the car at speeds in excess of 180kmph! there was a stage two mapped VRS on the Track day. it wasnt able to post a timing comparable to the elantra!! mclaren1885 was driving the elantra though!! ( 0-100 timing or whatever!!)
the ingear acceleration simply thrashes the so called big boys!! llol.
all this at 12kmpl in highway!! priceless
Old 14th April 2009, 22:58   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
satya was playing around with the car at speeds in excess of 180kmph! there was a stage two mapped VRS on the Track day. it wasnt able to post a timing comparable to the elantra!! mclaren1885 was driving the elantra though!! ( 0-100 timing or whatever!!)
Any idea what the timings clocked by the stage 2 vRS were in comparison to the Elantra?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 23:10   #189
BHPian

the design is such that max airflow( to intake. not like gasoline where you have to control the air volume being let in. in diesels always maximum air is sucked in! better filters will help certainly thats all. HKS is the best and most easy to use). so they run lean always. am tired saying this again and again!!

yes the richer setting does cause the smoking with the boxes. but still its not running that rich as to be called rich
Old 14th April 2009, 23:13   #190
BHPian

Bro,

firstly the ohc will not take 11 secs to hit the ton, it is much lesser than that. As you have mentioned, you would need to do a lot of travelling, so in that case you might not enjoy the sound of a high revving petrol engine for hours and hours non stop.

For long distance driving, the diesels are the best, loads of torque and cheaper fuel..

It will be very difficult for you to match the in gear accleleration of a elantra with a ohc..

Last but not the least, bro! didn't you just see! the peted elantra was a whopping 2.3 secs slower to the ton compared to the RD Ecu'd elantra!! Would you still wanna go the box way!! I mean sub 10 secs to the ton is OHC territory!! Stock Vtec would do a ton in almost identical times!!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
And i was really contemplating on acquiring an elantra CRDi and then pete it. Now if a petefied elantra would take 12 odd secs to hit the ton then would it not be better if i stick to OHC which is my current daily drive car. It still can clock 100 in 11 odd secs if not better. Or am i really missing a point here??
Old 14th April 2009, 23:14   #191
BHPian

all i know is that the elantra posted a timing of 2.17 at the MMSC track day. and yes it was the fastest right boys ??

why is it that all the guys are interested in 0-100 timings. i always play innocent till 100kmph! then its a mad rush to 160kmph and some small dots in the rear view mirror hahaha..
the fifth gear is still left untouched! no road[ i am a poor soul living in kerala ]

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th April 2009 at 21:02. Reason: Back to back post
Old 14th April 2009, 23:33   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Bro,

Last but not the least, bro! didn't you just see! the peted elantra was a whopping 2.3 secs slower to the ton compared to the RD Ecu'd elantra!! Would you still wanna go the box way!! I mean sub 10 secs to the ton is OHC territory!! Stock Vtec would do a ton in almost identical times!!

Cheers
Shrey
I think the 9.9 sec run Raj did was with the RD ECU AND the Pete's on stage two.

Last edited by maverick030581 : 14th April 2009 at 23:35.
maverick030581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 23:35   #193
BHPian

Dont think so!!

if you check the graph correctly, the 9.9 sec run was done with the RD ECU set to P2 mode and with a HKS super flow air filter!!

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
I think the 9.9 sec run Raj did was with the Pete's on stage two AND the RD ECU.
Attached Thumbnails
Boosted Elantra CRDI!-elantra20comparo2020with20legend.jpg  

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 14th April 2009 at 23:39.
Old 14th April 2009, 23:38   #194
BHPian

@rippergeo--> point taken. thanks.
@sameel--> i get what you're trying to say. And the economy part is sure priceless
@shrey--> bro i mentioned fig 11 after taking into consideration the wear and tear of my engine. After covering 88K its obviously not in the best of the tune. Though 10 odd secs to hit the ton is a definite OHC territory. However i do take couple of points you mentioned. Also isnt the RD ECU'ed elantra running parallel with petes box as well??
PS: out of those 75kms, 50 kms are on expressway
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 23:40   #195
BHPian

Buddy just check my post above this! There is no petes box for the 9.9 sec run!!

Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22;1260412@shrey--> bro i mentioned fig 11 after taking into consideration the wear and tear of my engine. After covering 88K its obviously not in the best of the tune. Though 10 odd secs to hit the ton is a definite OHC territory. However i do take couple of points you mentioned. [B
Also isnt the RD ECU'ed elantra running parallel with petes box as well[/b]??
PS: out of those 75kms, 50 kms are on expressway