Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 13th April 2009, 15:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I can't find any links or information on HKS turbo kit for R18, can you please share the links?
Is this the Zage kit being talked about? I guess that does not have very good reputation!
It is a custom kit still being designed and tested and hence you would not have heard of it and no it is not the Zage kit (Off topic: Wasn't the Zage kit specifically for the D17 or rather D series engines?)
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 17:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am sure RD Kartik can shed some more light on that. Whats the progress on the kit?? And i was going through their site, Is the Honda City kit out?? any test results on that?
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 22:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

The ZAGE kit was the first one out for the R18A. It was used by quite a few people and was reported troublesome to get working properly (was missing some misc. pieces which required fabrication from the user's side).
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 09:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Even the TSi kit has had a lot of problems.I guess most of you have checked 8thcivic forums.I think there are 5-6 r18 with the kit.1 is selling his kit.2 have had engine blows and removed it and one is having major problems with it.i have Pm'ed them all and thats why i know of this info.
there is a china guy there too.he had to fly in a tuner from thailand to get it tuned and then too he cannot have major elevation changes.there is one fixed map for the fixed elevation.a little bit change can be had but major one cannot.so if your car's a city car then its possible.

basically that FIC is not a remap device.its a signal modifier.it modifies the signal sent from the lambda sensor.and then the car's ecu makes the changes to the fueling to get the standard lambda values.but with the FIC its a fixed affair.One single map.and you have to recode the FIC to change it in accordance with the elevation change.

Lets see what the HKS kit has in store.I guess till now from what has been reported on Memo45's SX4 its running reliably.

Though its not really a feasible option.this of it this way.What if the engine blows.Getting a full rebuild on a baleno,swift,sx4 would be under 20k but for the civic you're looking at 1 lakh or maybe even more.so the level of risk is very high.the car's complicated engineering actually makes it a handicapped in the tuning part.

The best bet is to keep it NA and maybe get a remap along with a Free flow exhaust.remaps are now available from Zakie as well as FRK.so its not that far now.

Civ4647 regarding the header downpipe fabricator, there is a guy in mumbai.afzal.a lot of mumbai members know him.get his contact address and get your down pipe made.I think tbhp member vikram18 has one from him and his reviews of the full exhaust were good.
this should be more than enough for the civic.its not exactly a very modifiable car compared to the previous gen.

If you want a street burner the best advice would be to get a OHC,put in a B16 and turbo it.
and our friendly tuner tbhp member Ford Rocam should be more than willing to help you out since he has just built a 350bhp (going to 400bhp) hybrid city.I call him a tuner since he has made his own maps for the car and is actually the real tuner.

And this you can make in just slightly more than the civic turbo's cost.

civic turbo will only get you a 220 bhp car with a high risk of engine expense in case of a blow out.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 16:53   #20

Can you please tell me who are the two people on 8th Civic who have blown their engine (and under what circumstances)?

From what I read on 8th Civic, TSI turbo is quiet stable and their aftersales is also very commendable. They are still sending upgrades to buyers who bought turbos from them 2 years back.
You just need a good tuner to tune. Most people are already running 10-12psi without any issues on this kit.

Three people removed the kits from their car

Mark986 he sold his kit to another member on the same forum and bought another car
BlackenedSky He had an automatic transmission which complicated his tuning and he gave up before he could get a good tune
TurkTech - ???

There are many people who are still running the kit without any issues, including the 1st person who installed this kit - Civic Pride, Project Prelude, NYSPR, IPDinc, Apostle, etc

NYSPR (in china) had to fly in a person because there were no tuners where he lived.

Moreover the latest tune sent by TSI (in Dec 08) works very well out of the box. Civic Pride is using this (with further fine tunning) and he has reported no issues with elevation changes either.

So far there is only 1 person I have heard of (who is not an 8th Civic member) who blew his engine because of his own stupidity - he was running 15 PSI without having a proper tune, he was running too lean and had a detonation leading to snapping of a rod...

Even Bobby Jayram on this forum has installed TSI kit and given good reviews about the same. Of course that thread is abandoned now, so we don;t know if the engine still exists

I am not doubting what you have said, I just want to know the details, as I have been tracking turbo development on R18 since last two years and I am soon planning to get that kit.
R18A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 18:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R18A View Post
Even Bobby Jayram on this forum has installed TSI kit and given good reviews about the same. Of course that thread is abandoned now, so we don;t know if the engine still exists
The last I heard the car was still running fine.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 19:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well you've named them all right.PM them all and you'll get your answers.No point arguing if you're getting your kit down here.also may we know who's the tuner?

Regarding the Jayaram's civic.Last i heard or rather read about the car It was "Evolving to the next performance level"

but sadly that civic thread hasn't been updated.

though i'd still stick to my point that its really not a great idea to TC the r18.

Go ahead prove me wrong but not by arguing here but by getting it turboed and reporting about it after 6 months of successful motoring.

People here generally don't inform about the engine blows that they suffer misleading more people to think that this kind of tuning is very easy.

Its simply.If you're loaded then you can do anything to your car.If you're not.Well be happy with the air intake.I'm one of the latter types.Not loaded.
Old 15th April 2009, 09:55   #23
BHPian

Immortalz - Beautiful post about the swaps. Makes me wish I had joined Team-BHP a lot earlier.

the only problem i have read about the Weapon R header is that it looses out on low end a lot. And the variable lenght tracts on the stock intake manifold also help with low end, which is already low on the R18. as far as i have read, the Weapon R intake manifold is good only for turbo applications.

As for the turbo, i have decided to wait for the HKS kit and see how it performs.

Navpreet318 - I already own a Type 2 OHC 1.5. Already planned on getting a B16. Waiting for approval from family. Its just that i Like the civic so much, i dont want it to be a slow car.

Btw what are the legal problems likely to come up with Engine Swaps?? I have a few contacts in the RTO here. Will try to talk to them here.

And once i get approval for the B16, you can be assured that Ford Rocam is gonna be scared of coming online with all the questions from me . I really loved his build. 350 WHP is amazing.

One more thing, Can aviation fuel be used for cars?? Fuel available in vizag is either Unleaded or Speed 91. But i have a contact in Indian Oil who said that they will supply Aviation fuel, But it has to be bought 1000 litres at once . Anyway i have a friend who has a Boxster S and he is interested in it too. So, I would like to know if it can be used.

Thanks
civ4647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 10:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Losing more low end on our Civic is a strict no-no. It's already a pain to drive in traffic. I hear the remap by Zakie brings up a bit of low end though - rather have that.

Re: legal problems, well the engine number on the RC book is no longer same as the engine number on your engine. So this effectively makes your car illegal to drive on the road. You also won't get insurance if you wreck it and they find it has a different engine number. There are simple ways around it, of course.

I was told that RTOs no longer endorse engine swaps. Not even with proper motivational tools.

As for aviation fuel, I do not know, to be honest. I do know that jetfuel is not similar to petrol. It actually has more in common with diesel as it is a kerosene based fuel. What you are looking for is called Avgas. This 100/130 octane fuel used by small aircraft and race engines. But from what I read on the web, these are leaded fuels. I do not know how it will react with engines designed for UL fuel.

Why are you looking for such fuel anyway? Rocam's build runs on plain ole' pump gas and still sends monumental amounts of power to the wheels.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 10:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

if not mistaken avgas is leaded. just check on this
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 10:40   #26
BHPian

Immortalz - By pump gas, do you mean to tell me he is using normal unleaded or 95/97 Octane fuel?? Cos max that is available here is 91 Octane.
civ4647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 15:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well he has ECU maps for 87 octane,91 octane,97 octane and street and race maps also for all of the above.All self made.Thats why i call him a real tuner.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Maps and engines can be built depending on fuel available. The thing which gets affected is the power.
Agree with Navpreet, Jitu has done a very smart thing to tune various maps. This allows him to fill any type of fuel. I feel this is very important especially in India where fuel quality is a major concern.
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 18:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

The Remap is very Low-End friendly infact One can easily pick the car in Second gear at around 1000 RPMS and car goes flying. IF you are looking for NO serious MODS, the Remap+Intake kit+Catback does the job well. Any more power look for the Turbo way and wait for the HKS.
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 01:09   #30
BHPian

Engines static C.R plays a vital role in deciding what fuel you want to run on your boosted engine. You also need to keep in mind the quality of fuel, weather conditions where you intend to run your car.
Having lower static C.R opens up huge margin for tuning as its easy to detect knock on lower octane fuel.
I am running around 8.7:1 static c.r on my honda this gives me wide spectrum to use different types of fuel.
when fuel prices were its peak i was using regular fuel (87oct) for up to 10 psi boost, though now i am running on 91oct which i had tested up to 17 psi, the torquenite run was on 91octane fuel with no additives added whatsoever. Boost can & will be further upped to 22-24 psi range tuned for 97 octane & 30-35 psi on race fuel.

@navpreet, Amit, Thanks guys for the kind words, let me be just an enthusiast who likes to learn & let the Tuner title be for much deserving candidates.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote