Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 22nd April 2009, 11:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

I would like to understand (and not question) the practicality of turbo charging a car like Civic which comes with sufficient stock power for daily driving situations.

From my understanding and observation
1. The Turbo builds up above 3500 RPM or so, most of your daily city driving will be below that RPM (Civic does 77kmph and 110kmph in 3rd & 4th gear respectively at 3500RPM). Which means most of the time you are in turbo lag range and not getting any positive turbo affect. In fact there would be less power available than stock, due to extra effort engine puts in trying to spool the turbo.

2. On highways the car effortlessly reaches 160kmph at 4000 RPM in 5th gear on a stock car. Now assuming you are cruising at 160kmph in a turbo charged car with 1 bar boost, you are effectively consuming twice the fuel than what you would be consuming with a stock car. Since you are cruising (which requires very little power), all the additional energy being produced by turbo by burning the additional petrol is being wasted.

3. The low end torque situation can further aggravate if you have an after market Headers for getting more power out of your turbo, hence killing the daily drive.

4. So net net, a turbo only helps in accelerating faster. i.e. instead of 0-100 in 9 secs you would be able to do it in 7 secs or lesser.

I am sure as hell that it would be fun to drive and ride the boost during racing and track applications, but does a turbo (on a car like Civic) really makes sense in daily driving? Can you enjoy it in daily city & highway drive too?

As I said this is my understanding and I would like the experts to correct me if I am wrong. Also please provide the justification so I can understand it better.

Last edited by ST7677 : 22nd April 2009 at 11:23.
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

The spool up time of the turbo depends on the size and the configuration of the turbo selected and yes there will be higher consumption of fuel on acceleration, however under cruise conditions the turbo still provides positive pressure (note based on tuning and gearing typically would leave it at about under 2-3 psi.) if sized right and can add more torque, am not going to comment on the civic part of the story as I have not done any of them.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote