Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 28th January 2006, 11:38   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all, I've not been regular to the forum for quite some time, and have been out of town also. But i'm back. Thanks for the nice comments guys. I think Sparco should take a ride in a well maintained old model

Yes Falcon, i've reached bangalore At the moment I & my car have finished the Bangalore-Trivandrum (750km) five runs non stop. The car held up well and the only problems i had was with fuel pump and points. The points got loose in the dizzy and fuel pump arm got cut. After i got the pump changed & points done right it's trouble free. I bought it with 42k on the meter now it has 55k. I used to get highway mileage of 20-22, but these are at speeds in the range of 100-110. Max speed i did was 135+ on the meter on a lil long stretch.

Kiran, where are you in bangalore dude. Would love to meet up. Mine's also a red couloured maruti. It's a KBT.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2006, 21:05   #32
BHPian

Exclamation

Good to see you back on TeamBHP Sankar, or should i call you Crank? hahaha!!!
I'll call you tomorrow about the wheels!

Last edited by Edmund : 28th January 2006 at 21:07.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 18:44   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Whichever you may please, i prefer crank
Old 31st January 2006, 22:46   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Smile

Hi guys, take a peek and comment on me ride. Nothing fancy but nice! Old model 800 1985.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2246273/1
Old 1st February 2006, 00:06   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

She's a beauty. Did you paint the grille and the wheels black. Somehow, I like it stock. Have you taken any special measures for rust prevention.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2006, 18:57   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
She's a beauty. Did you paint the grille and the wheels black. Somehow, I like it stock. Have you taken any special measures for rust prevention.
Thanks for the nice words Mpower. Yes the grille was painted when the wheel was painted black. I didn't like the silver grille, in my opnion that was a weak color. The door frames are also black, looks good in profile with the current medium dark window film. Plan was to put chrome rim thingies on black wheels. Now she's getting alloys.

No rust prevention measures are taken yet. Car was in good hands, i'm taking good care of it too.
Old 1st February 2006, 21:25   #37
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Plan was to put chrome rim thingies on black wheels. Now she's getting alloys.
Waiting to see those on your car!!! Sweet!!!
Old 1st February 2006, 21:28   #38
BHPian

Exclamation

After you get them wheels on you better take some profile pictures too........ who painted the grille, rims and door pillars black?
Old 2nd February 2006, 00:57   #39
BHPian

Excellent looking car.. Well maintained and im sure u're like it as long u have it.. Jus 1 piece of advice ; for a car that old and other problems like lightweight, lack of road grip, poor brakes etc.. i dont think you should risk going at such speeds..
Ideally arnd 80 would give it a longer life IMO..

Last edited by ThE_DoN : 2nd February 2006 at 00:59.
ThE_DoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 09:18   #40
BHPian

hey sankar
good one i have got an 84 blue color sexy car in my college they call it ferrari
its famous everyone lovs it
dont mod it its engine is very good
dont put on ac please
the engine is small and at this age u will screw up the FE of it
the problems we faced with car till now are

latest 6 months ago there was some problem in the clutch it had become old and stiff so we got plates and the bearings changed Cost about 2300(tried a new mechanic sort he did the work at home opened the car inside our compound ).
Later immediately a week later same problem clutch plates eaten up 3rd gear lost,so again plates changed and new 3rd gear changed(reverted back to old mechanic gladly)he changed properly but he messed up up with oil seal so gone the plates again ,the problem persisted the next time we had changed the bearing and plates but this time again we had it with even the rod which has oil seal also gone
it was hitting had aginst somethin maybe a gear and when the oil was changed we could find lots of metal being found in gear oil i suppose.we had it enough approache saboo dishuknagar they worked it out to perfection
now its fine with gears but 3rd gear gives out sound like an aircraft if leave the accelator free

last month it was major that what we have seen till now engine getting ceased regularly they said it had to be overhauled so we thought we can get it later strange sounds were just pooping out and suddenly the car was like crawling and engine stoppin ,so sent it for an overhaul
likely to come next week
from past 6 months we sheeled out may be around 30k for the car.So its my sincere advi check the car properly it may be well maintained but gives u problems like hell once any prob starts and if its making u pay extra 2k to 3k there is no need to keep the car better to go in for an omni else any entry level car .thats what we are opting for (alto) got some IT probs i will tell you all guys thats a big big story
HEnce
Shankar PLease dont mod but one thing found lacking is good tyres put on maybe a 195 13 inch will do but drive hard thats why we are payin a lot in terms of maintance .and get seat belts fitted this car doesnt have any and it requires them badly.dont put on ac system coz the FE will go to hell
engine is not new so maintain it well and there will be problems with filters like plenty
if u dont have ac then get front glass tinted(whole not only on the head but whole glass),also get cabin shielded properly the heat is like just gonna burn u
use speed (high octane)
i will mention all problems give me some time (mostly coz of revving the engine)
i thought of selling this car but not gonna dispose it off mybe we will keep the car for the lifetime

sparco my dear i will rep u with what are the postives of 80,s favourite but by the way what is ur car which model .
trinadha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 12:46   #41
BHPian

Man sankar that is a simply amazing car looks really good congratulations!how on earth did the car hold p at 135 my zen itself starts feelin like its flying on 120!and my 10yr old 800 reaches only 105 but i am trying to modify it.The red colour looks great on your car somehow i dont like the black rims!!anyway real gem you got there congrats again and rock on!!
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 13:47   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
Waiting to see those on your car!!! Sweet!!!
The alloys are on! Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
After you get them wheels on you better take some profile pictures too........ who painted the grille, rims and door pillars black?
Gimme a couple of days for the pic. I got the grille, rims and door pillar painted black. It looks nice in profile, will upload the pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_DoN
Jus 1 piece of advice ; for a car that old and other problems like lightweight, lack of road grip, poor brakes etc.. i dont think you should risk going at such speeds..
Ideally arnd 80 would give it a longer life IMO..
What you said is very sensible, i appreciate it. But i like to go fast, whatever the ride may be. But i didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable doing that speeds and the car was quite composed too. I pushed the car only when i got a feel of the car and had an idea how the car would hold it. The brakes are as good (or as bad ) as any new 800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinadha
So its my sincere advi check the car properly it may be well maintained but gives u problems like hell once any prob starts and if its making u pay extra 2k to 3k there is no need to keep the car better to go in for an omni else any entry level car.
The car is checked and checked and checked all the time, before & after any long trips or periodically. I dont want to go for any new 800 or omni, i bought this car because i wanted this particular car. Could have gotten myself a newer 800 for the same budget.

Quote:
but one thing found lacking is good tyres put on maybe a 195 13 inch
The car had 155/70 R12 Goodyear GPS2's and those are good tires, nice grip and suited my car well. Right now the car has 165/60 R12 Bridgestone Potenzas and these tires are even better!! 195 13inchers would be an overkill for this car, in my opinion.

Quote:
and get seat belts fitted
Very good thing to do, self retracting types are the one to go for. I had them fitted already.
Quote:
get front glass tinted(whole not only on the head but whole glass)
Not a good idea, imo.Transparent heat shielding films would be better

Trinadha i hope you still have that car and have not sold it. Mechanical problems can be solved, not to worry much. 800 mechanicals are quite reliable, just take it to a good mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
how on earth did the car hold p at 135 my zen itself starts feelin like its flying on 120!
Well the car did hold up, it did feel like it was flyin low i liked it.
Old 3rd February 2006, 22:19   #43
BHPian

hey shankar one big thing the vehicle cannot be controlled at high speed there is lot of roll at high speeds and i had nearly five to six close calls .
dynamo is also weak so go in for amaron they wer excellent for me when i had few starting problems.it never use to die .i change the batteries for every for 18 to 20months.is ur rear glass tinted also it helps.u can change the filter it may improve but i am against it i like originality.Also if the car is basically for travelling of two change seats in front they are very un comfortable too
and put in a console box it will help the interiors .if your are feeling the heat and sweating also try out some beaded seat covers it was excellent on my car ill one old man had got it torn.
rep me fast
Old 3rd February 2006, 22:22   #44
BHPian

too...
sorry i typed something here but its gone
hey yeah the length of adjust ment is too small .as i asked if it was for couples make the threading longer so that you can move it much back
you can change the steering too
Old 3rd February 2006, 23:34   #45
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
The car had 155/70 R12 Goodyear GPS2's and those are good tires, nice grip and suited my car well. Right now the car has 165/60 R12 Bridgestone Potenzas and these tires are even better!!
This is where i come in and say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!"

Waiting for the pictures.......... isn't the ride better too?