Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 4th May 2009, 15:05   #241
Senior - BHPian

Fair enough Navpreet, Like I said sorry for going off topic
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 15:09   #242
Senior - BHPian

About the altitude changes being a problem with the FI/C i have ahd a chat with the AEM guys themselves who have admitted that there will be problems like uneven idle,and the engine turning off due to altitude changes.it can take about hundred meters but thats about it.not more than that.But where i travel the altitude changes are more than that.

dehradun,delhi,mussoorie,chandigarh,simla.

RDkarthik, why're you hell bent on proving me wrong.lol.these were the discussions with the AEM fellows.go and argue with them.Or go and argue with my tuner.I'm not the tuner.I know what i read and based on the credibility of the AEM fellows i'm bound to believe them.And i don't even need to prove my point here.if you don't aprove of what i posted.fine with me.lol.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 4th May 2009 at 15:13.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 15:24   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Are you sure? Ending stock ECU connections with resistors?
Yes. They are terminated with resistances matching the working resistance of the injectors and such so the ECU "sees" them still connected. Damn thing checks everything. The VTC system has a feedback into the ECU which hasn't been replicated yet. That leaves a CEL.

@RDK : The AEM F/IC is tuned to a particular altitude in all the applications I've seen. Drastic changes (like going to a hill station ) drive the stock ECU mad and things go south rather fast.

cinclaturbo alludes to have solved the issue though.

About the description of a piggy back, we seem to have touched a chord. I was thinking more in the terms of a 'box that will run the entire engine by itself and let the stock ECU handle the peripherals. Apologies for the misnomer.
ImmortalZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 15:52   #244
BHPian

I guess its between YOU and your Tuner..

AEM FI/C works really well, provided you know how to work with/around it.

YES, the civic(turbo) has been to Ooty and back sucessfully, without any hiccups. This is why posted, asking if you were sure about what you had posted earlier.

Getting the R18 to run without the stock ECU and retaining all standard functions is almost impossible as of today. There is no Standalone ECU available in the market for the R18.
And if use a "standalone or other" with the "stock ECU"....then isn't it called a "piggyback"...??? I may be wrong..check with your Tuner though.

Whoever told you about the AEM altitude problem and stuff has been misguided or has misunderstood something somewhere.

We have already helped the people around the world with turbo R18s (there are only 5 left..including the one in China)...with the wiring bug, mapping, piping, oil leaks etc etc.... You can probably PM them and find out on the other forum. With the new map which was recently developed the output is up by another 27bhp(safe)....this was dyno tested in the US by TSI.

Not everybody who lives, drives & mods cars in the US are Gurus...there are a lot of Idiots out there too. They have easy & cheap access to parts....hence every school kid there drives a turbo. !
And NOT all of the guys you speak to at AEM, know what they are talking about... many of them just happen to be there. Not saying that AEM does not know their product, just because some guy with a foreign accent says something....please don't blindly believe him. Verify who you are speaking to first...we dealt with some of "these" guys too.

FINALLY, don't underestimate Indians or Indian Tuners; An equal platform and we can stay with the best out there, i can assure you of this. I may not be able to do this, but know of a few from the previous generation who certainly can. And we have a few on the forum too.!

Just my 2 paise worth.

Sorry for coming in this thread and leaving 2 replies later....have been and still am extremely busy.
Ahhhh LIFE,...a lot more Unpredictable than the R18s drive by wire system and ECU combined.!!

Have a nice day.
Im out of here.!
Peace

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th May 2009 at 13:04. Reason: Request to mods removed.
cinclaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 15:56   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinclaturbo View Post
I guess its between YOU and your Tuner..

AEM FI/C works really well, provided you know how to work with/around it.

YES, the civic(turbo) has been to Ooty and back sucessfully, without any hiccups. This is why posted, asking if you were sure about what you had posted earlier.
Hey, that's great news.

Quote:
Getting the R18 to run without the stock ECU and retaining all standard functions is almost impossible as of today. There is no Standalone ECU available in the market for the R18.
This is true for not just the R18. All of the CAN equipped cars from 06+ have the same problem. The fancy dash isn't worth all this hassle IMHO.

Quote:
We have already helped the people around the world with turbo R18s (there are only 5 left..including the one in China)...with the wiring bug, mapping, piping, oil leaks etc etc.... You can probably PM them and find out on the other forum. With the new map which was recently developed the output is up by another 27bhp(safe)....this was dyno tested in the US by TSI.

Not everybody who lives, drives & mods cars in the US are Gurus...there are a lot of Idiots out there too. They have easy & cheap access to parts....hence every school kid there drives a turbo. !
And NOT all of the guys you speak to at AEM, know what they are talking about... many of them just happen to be there. Not saying that AEM doesn't know their product, just because some guy with a foreign accent says something....please don't blindly believe him. Verify who you are speaking to first...we dealt with some of "these" guys too. :-)

FINALLY, don't underestimate Indians or Indian Turners; An equal platform and we can stay with the best out there, i can assure you of this. I may not be able to do this, but know of few from the previous generation who certainly can. And we have a few on the forum too.!
Quite perplexed with the numbers. Are you telling me that there are only five turbo R18s in the whole world? Or do you mean four in India?

I have nothing but respect for the RD crew. I'm quite proud as an Indian of them having developed an engine management system that is as good as or better than anything the west has to offer. As for tuners, that is what this thread is all about isn't it? Finding the real diamonds in the rough.

Quote:
Just my 2 paise worth.

Sorry for coming in this thread and leaving 2 replies later....have been and still am extremely busy.
Ahhhh LIFE,...a lot more Unpredictable than the R18s drive by wire system and ECU combined.!!

Have a nice day.
Im out of here.!
Peace
You aren't the only person who is going over the DBW system and the untunable ECU. *sigh* If you come by this thread again, what fuel do you need to run your car?

All the best in your endeavors for faster Civics!
ImmortalZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 17:55   #246
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Another paint blister story !!

Another one bites the dust !!

Just saw yesterday (car cleaner tells me it has been there for a while) - that the trunk of my Octavia which was graciously repaired / repainted by our famous Autopsyche, has developed ugly blisters !!

The car had hit a small tree while reversing, it resulted in a slight dent on the trunk near the Skoda logo. This is the time when my Lancer had just been done by Arush. I was offered a free repair of the little dent, unfortunately I agreed to have it done.

There is something very wrong with his painting process. My bad luck.

Sigh....
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 19:06   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post

RDkarthik, why're you hell bent on proving me wrong.lol.these were the discussions with the AEM fellows.go and argue with them.Or go and argue with my tuner.I'm not the tuner.I know what i read and based on the credibility of the AEM fellows i'm bound to believe them.And i don't even need to prove my point here.if you don't aprove of what i posted.fine with me.lol.
It was just a piece of data i thought might be informative, no intentions as such Hope you took them in the right spirit

I think we did deviate from the concept of this thread though...
rdkarthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:31   #248
Senior - BHPian

rdkarthik:Well i guess you didn't see the "Lol"s included in that statement.It was all in good humour.I have had no dealings with any tuner here to have any ill feelings about them.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:51   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Another one bites the dust !!

Just saw yesterday (car cleaner tells me it has been there for a while) - that the trunk of my Octavia which was graciously repaired / repainted by our famous Autopsyche, has developed ugly blisters !!

The car had hit a small tree while reversing, it resulted in a slight dent on the trunk near the Skoda logo. This is the time when my Lancer had just been done by Arush. I was offered a free repair of the little dent, unfortunately I agreed to have it done.

There is something very wrong with his painting process. My bad luck.

Sigh....
oh!! thats some really eye-opening post there!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 15:43   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
About the altitude changes being a problem with the FI/C i have ahd a chat with the AEM guys themselves who have admitted that there will be problems like uneven idle,and the engine turning off due to altitude changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkarthik View Post
Your altitude corrections are handled by stock ECU, and since the AEM is just a piggyback correcting stock ECU parameters, altitude changed as still in place.

For an arguments sake, even if you do put in a "crappy" signal modifier to lambda sensor, OEM ECU altitude corrections CANNOT be nullified in conditions that are most critical ( higher power requirements )

@ Navpreet, Thats a correct info kartik has posted

Remember, we are using piggy back only as an extension of stock ECU, that too only when car is boosting since stock ECU is not programmed for Boost,
when car is not boosting its as good as N.A, the boost will kick in only at certain rpm and throttle position from where piggyback comes in to picture to take care of fuel/ign parameters. The stock ECU will throw CEL once the map sensor read boost cause it does not have any boost tables to read from, so piggyback modifies signals going to ecu so that ECU reads it as full vaccum.
I would not alter signals at all before the actual boost kicks in. so if piggyback is causing idling problems irrespective of altitude then its tuning error or there is something wrong somewhere else.

piggyback are fine for low boost applications if tuned right.
Ford Rocam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 16:32   #251
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys i think what navpreet is trying to convey is that his tuner is not money minded, guess from your discussion i feel his tuner needs to get certain facts right, but look at the brighter part his tuner did not use his car as a break me car like most of the tuners do to their customers car, i know its bad for a tuner to say, i dont know. But to keep both the parties happy its better to say it does not work, rather than doing some screwup like most of other tuners did to their customer's cars. IMHO i feel even navpreet was not very serious about the mods, or else he would have gone to the levels of research which some other petrol heads have gone through. just my 2 cents. :-)

Last edited by pramodkumar : 5th May 2009 at 16:37.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 20:36   #252
Senior - BHPian

I have pasted this from the e34 thread , coz I thought it needs to be highlighted here as well :-

Originally Posted by nc1bad
hey, feel sorry for all the mess you had to go through. I am also planning to turbo my OHC, and for me, budget is very important, as I am funding the project part by part if something like this would happen it would be a disaster and a total heartbreak! Thanks for sharing your experience with us, helps us to be better prepared. I think friendship created the “taken for granted” attitude causing problems.Anyways I hope your car and money are utilized somehow.

Imagine having to go thru this kind of horrific ordeal at the hands of "ONE OF THE BEST TUNERS" in Delhi. High time the tuner's list is revised - so that gullible young people are not misguided. As they look at T-Bhp's reccomendations seriously !!

Mods you listening ?? I have said this before & I am saying it again. The forum stands for truth - does it not ??

??????

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 5th May 2009 at 20:41.
Old 9th May 2009, 20:52   #253
Senior - BHPian

What happened ICEman ??? Your thread went cold ?? No more interesting experiances rolling in ?? Surprising !!!!!!

I am waiting !!

Cheers
Old 10th May 2009, 00:56   #254
Senior - BHPian

Maybe no one has any experiences to say or our hesitant.
Cant help them there
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 09:49   #255
Senior - BHPian

Oh well I know of "more of such stories" but the concerned people choose to keep quite (as I did for a long time)

Guess people do not want to share their experiences, as they'd be made out to be "Pappus"

To each his own !!

Cheers