Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 2nd May 2009, 07:50   #31
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
the PSI box also connects to the fuel pressure sensor on the rail (at least the one for the 1.3 JTD ). I don't think increasing both fuel pressure and the injector pulse width would help.
it does help in making the fuelling even richer, is what the experiences from the boosted elantra thread suggests.
combining 2 different methods to increase fuelling. its mad, it works, but I'm not sure how safe how using both together is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
you mean the box is just cosmetic ? its not going to increase the bhp ?
Trust me, it is not cosmetic, I have been using one tuning box for over a year, and another one on my brother's car for the last 2 months. definitely not cosmetic.
if you want proof, drop your car into 3rd gear, while at 40, pull it to 80kmph, and see how long it takes when its stock. then compare it to what happens after the box. the results will be interesting.
Even 0-100 shows pretty significant gains. how does 10.8 secs to 100 in an Ford Endeavour sound?(Disclaimer-crude stopwatch and speedo measurements)
The Magnum is even faster in its stock form, just wait till the box goes in.

In one way, its nice to go in without any expectations, because then you will really know if there has been a difference. Which is why it will be very useful to time your car before Pete'ing it.

EDIT- It will increase the BHP, but the real fun is what it does to the torque.

Last edited by rippergeo : 2nd May 2009 at 07:52.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 08:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
the PSI box also connects to the fuel pressure sensor on the rail (at least the one for the 1.3 JTD ). I don't think increasing both fuel pressure and the injector pulse width would help.
The Elantra boys have found performance improvements with both boxes running.

Quote:
No, he means the PSI box will compensate for the RD ECU and thus cancel it out.

The people who made both work at the same time did so by doing some creative wiring.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 09:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
No!! The box works fantastic ! Its amazing how the torque and power increases, the swift can do in-gear wheelspins with the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
it does help in making the fuelling even richer, is what the experiences from the boosted elantra thread suggests.
combining 2 different methods to increase fuelling. its mad, it works, but I'm not sure how safe how using both together is.
hmm, I thought it would just make the engine run too rich and smoke a lot, but I guess if it works its good , more power never hurt anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The Elantra boys have found performance improvements with both boxes running.
Where does the elantra PSI box connect to ? not the rail pressure sensor?

Quote:
No, he means the PSI box will compensate for the RD ECU and thus cancel it out.
Yes thanks Immortalz, that's exactly what I meant.

Quote:
The people who made both work at the same time did so by doing some creative wiring.
Wow !

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 2nd May 2009 at 09:23.
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 19:01   #34
BHPian

Ok guys finally i got my hands on the rd diesel piggyback ecu XM400 for magnum
Note that this is a evaluation ecu for testing purpose only
Mr Karthik Reddy of race dynamics bangalore was kind enough to send me the ecu after i kept pestering him for last 2 months
below are some pics
the ecu is wrapped in plastic in the last pic cause this is a temporary setup and its not water proof so you are supposed to keep it inside the car also it has a knob to change to 4 different map settings on the fly
1. stock
2. 20% economy
3. P1 15% more power
4. P2 25% more power
Attached Images

Last edited by dockap : 13th May 2009 at 19:04.
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 20:27   #35
BHPian

so how is it moving now?
fieroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 20:46   #36

You're using both? or just trialling them back to back? you are one of the few people who would have tried both. let us know what your impressions are. Lots of very interested people here.
Old 13th May 2009, 20:51   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Eagerly waiting for your first impression and detailed reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
You're using both? or just trialling them back to back? you are one of the few people who would have tried both. let us know what your impressions are. Lots of very interested people here.
He has only one, right? The XM400.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 21:31   #38

I thought I had seen his review on the pete's box for the magnum earlier. Hence assumed that he has experience with both.
Turns out thats just the green filter and a pete's sticker

I had the chance to drive a car with the RD ECU, but the car itself was not in good shape, therefore the ECU did not get the chance to exhibit its full potential. therefore, its difficult for me to compare the two options fairly.
really wish someone would do an objective comparison on the two.

@dockap-will you be trialling the pete's box?
Old 13th May 2009, 21:40   #39
BHPian

i am using the xm400 from race dynamics bangalore(never got a chance to try petes)
the xm400 piggy back ecu has a simple very easy installation-connect the intake sensor of the common rail to the ecu and the ecu sensor to the common rail. the ecu is powered by the car battery
got it 2 days back and tried the economy mode and p1 mode

economy mode -still needs some work engine jerks at low speed

p1 mode rocks, first drive i thought my clutch was fried by the sudden burst of power
2nd gear refused to engage but later it miraculously reverted to normal. the front end of the car lifts up when you accelerate i think if it was a rear wheel drive vehicle it would have done a wheeli like a bike
the in gear acceleration has also improved the speedo needle just keeping zooming up with a urgency with just a light press of the accelerator pedal
i cant wait to get the final release of this ecu
going to fit the settings knob near the gear shift(like a mini idrive)

the roads here are not good enough to try out the top speed ,just short bursts of 120-130 kmph and then brake hard-no fun
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 17:21   #40
kdp

Hi Dockap,

Quote:
economy mode -still needs some work engine jerks at low speed

p1 mode rocks, first drive i thought my clutch was fried by the sudden burst of power
2nd gear refused to engage but later it miraculously reverted to normal. the front end of the car lifts up when you accelerate i think if it was a rear wheel drive vehicle it would have done a wheeli like a bike
the in gear acceleration has also improved the speedo needle just keeping zooming up with a urgency with just a light press of the accelerator pedal
i cant wait to get the final release of this ecu
did you get the final release of the ecu? An update on your experience will be really great; since; I'm poised on the edge as far as my optra is concerned; and your experience will help me make a more informed choice.

Could not find any reference on this using search; but has anyone considered the "third" option on this - using the VGT from the captiva? Can any figure out what else (Apart from the turbo) that would need to be changed? (ecu?). the next question would be; the costs of doing so..

thanks
Kdp
kdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 19:12   #41
BHPian

Why don't you contact Race Dynamics directly..

My two cents

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Hi Dockap,

did you get the final release of the ecu? An update on your experience will be really great; since; I'm poised on the edge as far as my optra is concerned; and your experience will help me make a more informed choice.

Could not find any reference on this using search; but has anyone considered the "third" option on this - using the VGT from the captiva? Can any figure out what else (Apart from the turbo) that would need to be changed? (ecu?). the next question would be; the costs of doing so..

thanks
Kdp
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 17:58   #42
kdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Why don't you contact Race Dynamics directly..

My two cents

Cheers
Shrey
Hi Shrey,

I intend to do that in any case; but I'm sure you agree that actual user feedback is most valuable.

kdp
kdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:55   #43
BHPian

Is there an RD available for Gets Prime? My friend has a gets and would like to mod for performance. He had gone to some workshop and got K&N installed. They said it will increase BHP by 10% and now he is a little disappointed. He would like a mod which has some real impact.
PhiGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 13:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

dockap:any update on the RD-ECU,waiting for the results LOL!!
pls post a pic of ECU controls E,P1,P2 etc,which gives us a better idea
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 16:47   #45
BHPian

The pic can be seen here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...ml#post1369523
adi99 is offline   Reply With Quote