Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2009, 12:07   #1
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 845
Thanked: 376 Times
Default Help-Petes box or Race Dynamics piggyback ECU for Optra Magnum

hey guys after resisting the urge for quite some time now i gave up and finally decided to go for an aftermarket air filter and tuning box for my car


sent a query to petes a month back and was advised the green filter universal storm with fitting and dynamisation kit and petes box for magnum.
at the same time i came across a thread on team bhp on race dynamics bangalore and on inquiry came to know that they are working on a piggyback ecu for magnum which will be ready soon below are the details of the rd ecu

XM400

a. Four switchable maps, pre-set to.
b. Stock - Works like original map.
c. Economy - Enhanced economy mode, can deliver upto 20 % more economy.
d. Performance 1 - Increase power and torque by upto 10%.
e. Performance 2 - Increase power and torque by upto 25%.

25% means my magnum bhp should go up from 120 to 150

versus

all i know about petes box for magnum is bhp goes up from 120 to 140


i have already ordered the green filter universal storm with fitting and dynamisation kit from petes and will receive it tomorrow

i would like some expert opinion and advice on which mod to go for.
the race dynamics piggyback ecu or petes box for my magnum

thanks in advance for the helpful opinions and below is a pic of my fair lady
Attached Images
 
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 12:09   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Pretty sure you'll lose your warranty with an aftermarket ECU, versus the Pete's box which can be removed and nobody would be wiser.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 12:14   #3
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 845
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

the rd ecu is a piggy back ecu. installation looks to be the same like petes box with snap on connectors so installation and removal will be just like petes box
also my warranty will end in 2 months time
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 12:58   #4
BHPian
 
white_vdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: new delhi
Posts: 842
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

remapping or adding petes to magnum? that is some serious power addition to the car.

Last edited by white_vdi : 26th April 2009 at 12:59.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 13:37   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ERNAKULAM
Posts: 947
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Check the boost pressure

As long as the maximum boost pressures are not meddled with; using either of the piggy back ECU's should not be a problem. Make sure the maximum boost pressures from the turbo remains exactly the same as stock. You would have to use the best synthetic oil available thenceforth as long as you are using increased fueling and varying the number of injections. Both of them claim not to meddle with max boost pressures but in the real world I am not so sure.

Your best/safe bet would be to have a flatter torque curve with the max boost pressures remaining the same and the peak torque and bhp figures being same as stock.
Your attempt should be to arrive at peak torque and bhp figures earlier than stock but maintain these figures right through out the rev range. Easier said than done but this is what you should aim for. If any of the piggybacks increase the turbo boost do not touch it with a barge pole.
In the long run it would be far far cheaper for you to put in a bigger turbo( the VGT unit of the Captiva) after strengthening other mechanicals which would give you 150 reliable horses.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 26th April 2009 at 13:40.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 14:18   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
binz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 411 Times
Default

Got to test a swift -D with the RACE dynamics XM400 pretty extensively - Around 700km of highway driving + 80 km of city driving + 45 plus laps during the trackday at the MMST.

Economy Mode: Used this during the entire drive to the track that is about 300+ km speeds varied from 80 -130 kmph.Feels exactly the same as a stock swift,acceleration is the same,boost comes in at the same rpm as stock.Overall didn't feel any lack of performance.Hit 160 too on this mode!

Performance 1 : Used this a couple of times on the highway for overtaking bigger cars.I could feel the difference as soon as I flicked the switch from economy to P1.

Performance 2 : Used this quite a bit on the way back,mostly at the toll booths where Doomsday would take off in the SX4 and I not wanting to be left behind(Unlike memo in the gypsy) would follow suit.And boy did it help!

Drove with P2 on all the laps on the track,Boost did come in a wee bit earlier but the biggest difference was that boost would hold till about 5100 rpm(Stock swift-d dies out at around 4300rpm)

Like to add - No black smoke!

Also loved the small knob used to change modes near the gear lever.Install was done in about the same time i took to swap four wheels on my baleno ..

Overall fantastic product,Go ahead and pick it right up.the petes box is a great box too but the racedynamics box provides a LOT more bang for the buck and flexibility.

Cheers,hope this helps.

Last edited by binz : 26th April 2009 at 14:35. Reason: Corrected a mistake .. thanks adi99
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 14:30   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Utopia!
Posts: 577
Thanked: 84 Times
Default

What is the cost difference between PSI Box (Petes) and RD Box?
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 14:37   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
binz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 411 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
What is the cost difference between PSI Box (Petes) and RD Box?
The RD retails for Rs 26,500/- if I'm not mistaken. No clue about the Petes , it's around the same price.

Last edited by binz : 26th April 2009 at 14:45.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 14:52   #9
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 845
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
As long as the maximum boost pressures are not meddled with; using either of the piggy back ECU's should not be a problem. Make sure the maximum boost pressures from the turbo remains exactly the same as stock. You would have to use the best synthetic oil available thenceforth as long as you are using increased fueling and varying the number of injections. Both of them claim not to meddle with max boost pressures but in the real world I am not so sure.

Your best/safe bet would be to have a flatter torque curve with the max boost pressures remaining the same and the peak torque and bhp figures being same as stock.
Your attempt should be to arrive at peak torque and bhp figures earlier than stock but maintain these figures right through out the rev range. Easier said than done but this is what you should aim for. If any of the piggybacks increase the turbo boost do not touch it with a barge pole.
In the long run it would be far far cheaper for you to put in a bigger turbo( the VGT unit of the Captiva) after strengthening other mechanicals which would give you 150 reliable horses.
thanks man but thats like alien language to me . i am not a technical guy just need something i can connect within 10 to 15 mins

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
The RD retails for Rs 26,500/- if I'm not mistaken. No clue about the Petes , it's around the same price.
RD says Rs 22,000/- for piggyback ecu for magnum
petes say Rs 28,000/- for box for magnum

also binz know anyone whos been using the xm400 longterm
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 15:00   #10
Newbie
 
rageraver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 20
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

I am with Binz on this one.
RD is the best bet.
I had talks with both of them for my Swift DDIS too.

Petes promised 15 bhp increase and .5 mileage increase but only if box is installed with a green cotton filter or a Wind Kit.

Where as Mr.Reddy from RD has promised the gains without any aftermarket parts.

Another good thing about RD is they come to you place and install it so that you dont have to go all the way to their garage.
rageraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 15:04   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
binz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 411 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
thanks man but thats like alien language to me . i am not a technical guy just need something i can connect within 10 to 15 mins



RD says Rs 22,000/- for piggyback ecu for magnum
petes say Rs 28,000/- for box for magnum

also binz know anyone whos been using the xm400 longterm
I am mistaken then,though i distinctly remember Sanjay saying 26.5.
Anyway,no idea about anyone using it long term being a relatively new thing. Wait till people notice this thread and you should get some long term reviews.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 15:12   #12
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Have seen and driven the RD ecu'd Swift, I would strongly recommend it. That diesel swift didn't behave like a swift anymore. It left me very impressed!!

Not to mention I am currently using one for my Vtec!!

Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 15:21   #13
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 845
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Not to mention I am currently using one for my Vtec!!
how long have you been using it and any difference in fe
what about the power- bhp difference with the rd ecu
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 19:19   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Have seen and driven the RD ecu'd Swift, I would strongly recommend it. That diesel swift didn't behave like a swift anymore. It left me very impressed!!

Not to mention I am currently using one for my Vtec!!

Shrey
Is it available for the petrol engines as well?
Any contact details?
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 19:33   #15
BHPian
 
dockap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 845
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Is it available for the petrol engines as well?
Any contact details?
i think they have a dealer in delhi . just search for race dynamics bangalore
are you going to put one in your vrs?
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spider Diesel Tuning Box VS. Pete's Tuning Box - Spider Box feedback on pg 2 Endeavour333 Modifications & Accessories 130 11th September 2017 01:24
Scoop! Race Dynamics is preparing a dual channel Diesel tuning box kryptonite Technical Stuff 28 3rd February 2016 17:26
Is there anything as piggyback ecu + CNG fitment Abhi_Automobile Modifications & Accessories 4 3rd December 2010 20:01
turbocharging or petes tunning box? help! mustang Modifications & Accessories 33 4th March 2007 20:32
piggyback ecu' s .. any comments?? team dragstar Modifications & Accessories 3 30th July 2006 09:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks