Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 12:45   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eranakulam
Posts: 209
Thanked: 69 Times
Question Installed K&N Filter on my OHC and RPM went down

I installed a K&N replacement filter on my OHC 1.5 EXI AT. Before the K&N filter, it had the Honda filter and would do 800 RPM when idling. Now after installing the K&N filter the idling RPM has gone down to 700 RPM!

Is this normal? Please advice.
Games Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 13:14   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,773
Thanked: 1,168 Times
Default

the filter does not affect idling RPM.

its advised that the battery terminals are disconnected and reconnected after say 5 mins whenever such parts are installed possbly for the ECM to read the new "hardware" installed. trust that has been done

also any problem with the car idling at 700rpm ? is it shuddering ? as in , you need to give a gentle accelerator input to keep the engine alive ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 21:48   #3
BHPian
 
dr chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 94
Thanked: Once
Default

like narayan said. try to reset your ECM that will solve your problem .Mine was solved by resetting the ECM.
dr chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 22:39   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eranakulam
Posts: 209
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
the filter does not affect idling RPM.

its advised that the battery terminals are disconnected and reconnected after say 5 mins whenever such parts are installed possbly for the ECM to read the new "hardware" installed. trust that has been done

also any problem with the car idling at 700rpm ? is it shuddering ? as in , you need to give a gentle accelerator input to keep the engine alive ?
Hello narayan thank you for the quick reply. I got the filter installed at Emperor's accessories shop. Strangely when the mechanic took out my stock filter, he disconnected the batteries, re-connected it after 5 mins and then put on the new filter. I quizzed him about this and he replied that "it had to be done for the proper functioning of the filter" Puzzled, I didnt ask anything further as it was just disconnecting the batteries, right? No harm done.

Only now I realise the logic behind this -- thank you again narayan

As for the other question -- no the engine is not shddering -- it is smooth at idle and I do not need to give accelerator input -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr chill
like narayan said. try to reset your ECM that will solve your problem .Mine was solved by resetting the ECM.
Did you experience the same problem? Can you please advce me on how to do this? Will disconnecting the battery terminals and re-connecting after 5 mins do the trick?
Games Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 09:27   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Did you experience the same problem? Can you please advce me on how to do this? Will disconnecting the battery terminals and re-connecting after 5 mins do the trick?
That exactly how you reset your ECU.. Try a longer time like may be 15 minutes as there is always a backup power in the ECU, and secondly it will take at least an hours driving after that to get accustomed to the new hardware change.
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 11:18   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

i think normal ohc idling is 700 may be 800 for AT. since you have reset the ecu. let it 'learn' and settle for idle rpm. if there is no juddering and if it is smooth there is no need to worry and you should be happy that engine now breathes free and settles for lesser rpm.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 11:29   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default I would be happy!

IMHO, the idling speed coming down is a good sign, especially as there is no roughness, spluttering, missing etc. I would be worried if the idling rpm went up.

Lower idling rpm means that the fuel-air mix is now better and the engine is able to extract more from the fuel to give better power at lower rpms.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 18:16   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eranakulam
Posts: 209
Thanked: 69 Times
Exclamation Installed Automech Exhaust and idling RPM went up! :O

Hi guys

I just installed a free flow exhaust from automech. I ordered the exhaust from Mumbai and got it installed from my Honda Dealer.

But after the installation, my idling RPM went up to 1500 RPM (from 700 RPM as mentioned above)! The Honda guys checked everything (sensors etc) but could did not find any problem. They waited for a day and now idle RPM is down to 1000 RPM. I have taken delivery of the car and the service engineer advised me to drive the car for 2-3 days and see if the problem disappears and asked me to return if the problem is not fixed by then..

Oh, and the yellow warning light stays on in my dashboard. The Honda guys even tried replacing my existing sensors with new ones -- but this did not solve it either.

So any suggestions guys?
Games Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 18:27   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Ravveendrra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,391
Thanked: 405 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Hi guys

I just installed a free flow exhaust from automech. I ordered the exhaust from Mumbai and got it installed from my Honda Dealer.

But after the installation, my idling RPM went up to 1500 RPM (from 700 RPM as mentioned above)! The Honda guys checked everything (sensors etc) but could did not find any problem. They waited for a day and now idle RPM is down to 1000 RPM. I have taken delivery of the car and the service engineer advised me to drive the car for 2-3 days and see if the problem disappears and asked me to return if the problem is not fixed by then..

Oh, and the yellow warning light stays on in my dashboard. The Honda guys even tried replacing my existing sensors with new ones -- but this did not solve it either.

So any suggestions guys?
Try running the car for a bit and hope it will rectify itself. Write to Automech for support on the problem.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 18:36   #10
BHPian
 
ankitahuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon & Delhi
Posts: 887
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Check the O2 sensor. It might be busted or placed wrong. Hard Reset the ECU by hooking it up with a scanner.
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 20:54   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
pranavt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,628
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

First find the error code using this guide:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php

Then find the corresponding explanation here:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/05.php

Good luck.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 23:37   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
m4ugr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,291
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Happened with me in my Swift also, the problem was traced down to the Cable connecting to the Throttle body, get the Throttle body cleaned and everything should be fine. Try a ECU reset also. Disconnect the negative of the battery for 15 Mins and then re-connect.
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 13:52   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eranakulam
Posts: 209
Thanked: 69 Times
Default O2 Sensor

Thanks for the reply guys!

I called up Honda service engineer and told him about all of your ideas

He told me that they had checked and cleaned the throttle body.

When I spoke of pranavt's links, he told me that they had connected the ECU to their laptop and the error code they got was of the O2 Sensor failure. But he told me that since there wasnt any problem before the exhaust was fitted, it was unlikely that it might have failed. There is no spare O2 sensor at Honda Service Center for them to check and they quoted a price of Rs.17,000 for a new one He also said that Chinese Sensors are available for around Rs.2500 but their reliability is questionable.

I will drive the car for two more days and see. There is no change in the idle RPM as of now (still at 1000 RPM) I will try to reset the ECU by disconnecting the batteries and report back here.
Games Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 15:18   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Thanks for the reply guys!

I called up Honda service engineer and told him about all of your ideas

He told me that they had checked and cleaned the throttle body.

When I spoke of pranavt's links, he told me that they had connected the ECU to their laptop and the error code they got was of the O2 Sensor failure. But he told me that since there wasnt any problem before the exhaust was fitted, it was unlikely that it might have failed. There is no spare O2 sensor at Honda Service Center for them to check and they quoted a price of Rs.17,000 for a new one He also said that Chinese Sensors are available for around Rs.2500 but their reliability is questionable.

I will drive the car for two more days and see. There is no change in the idle RPM as of now (still at 1000 RPM) I will try to reset the ECU by disconnecting the batteries and report back here.
Any change in the cars performance that you observed after you just changed the stock filter to its replacement kn filter? before adding the FFE i.e.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 15:30   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Eranakulam
Posts: 209
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Any change in the cars performance that you observed after you just changed the stock filter to its replacement kn filter? before adding the FFE i.e.
Engine revved a bit more freely and Fuel Economy increased slightly.

UPDATE: Guys I reset the ECU, but still no go. Looks like I have to replace the O2 sensor. I searched the forums and looks like a lot of OHC owners faced the same problem and they bought aftermarket O2 sensors with no problems [Denso etc]

I have posted in this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1568993 (OHC Oxygen sensor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Hi friends. The O2 Sensor of my 2003 OHC AT seems to have given up [warning light on dash stays on and idling is affected] See this thread for details - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...went-down.html (Installed K&N Filter on my OHC and RPM went down)

Honda quoted a whopping Rs.17,000 for a new one. Luckily I chanced upon this thread!

Will this part fit on my OHC

Bosch Oxygen Sensor at BoschOxygenSensor.com: wideband o2 sensors, lambda sensors, replacement car oxygen sensors

the VTEC guy, did you buy the DENSO O2 Sensor from US or India. Can you please give the details on how to procure it in India?

Shan2nu, which brand of O2 sensor did you buy? Please Advice.
Games Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel Cars: Down, down, down! Market share = 34% S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 66 2nd June 2016 16:21
Went to a wedding, car burned down! harsh.m06 Street Experiences 8 25th April 2016 18:35
Installed K&N Filter... What Next? dsinz Modifications & Accessories 24 12th June 2011 00:37
High Idling RPM. What went wrong? saurabhkum Technical Stuff 8 25th October 2007 20:00
rpm below idle rpm tortoise Technical Stuff 12 2nd April 2007 00:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks